INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream audio wirelessly from iPad to JRiver possible?  (Read 2289 times)

henry2

• Recent member
Stream audio wirelessly from iPad to JRiver possible?
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:38 am »

Basic question:

Is it possible to stream audio from my iPad/iPhone, e.g. internetradio station I am listening or some other audio playing on the device, wirelessly to my windows HTPC that is running JRiver 19 (and media center) ?

I am trying to find an alternative to an airport express or airfoil system. I know this is possible using XBMC, but would like to minimize the complexity of things (for the other listeners in the house with less patience and technical know-how) so that everyting can run through a single program: JRiver.

thanks,

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stream audio wirelessly from iPad to JRiver possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:21:20 am »

The free Airfoil Speakers app (not Airfoil) might do what you want - though it won't play through Media Center.

It looks like MC20 is going to have a WDM Driver that you would be able to set Airfoil Speakers to play to, which would pass the audio through MC.

)p(

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:44:40 am »

You can install a windows AirPlay client on your htpc like shairportw and then use jrmc live loopback function to play the audio through jrmc and it's dsp.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:46:56 pm »

You can install a windows AirPlay client on your htpc like shairportw and then use MC live loopback function to play the audio through MC and it's dsp.
I just tried it out, and it looks like Shairport4w is probably a better option than Airfoil Speakers.
I did not realize that the Airfoil Speakers app on PC/Mac required an Airfoil license - I thought that was only for the transmitter, not the receiver. (the iOS receiver app is free)

It also seems like it may be more reliable - I've actually found Airfoil Speakers to be quite unstable, though Airfoil itself is fine.

Setting Shairport4w to use a 250 frame buffer seems to keep it in sync with all my other devices - though you can increase it to 500 frames if sync/latency is not a concern.

With MC20's WDM driver, you would be able to configure Shairport to play audio through Media Center.
P.S. I had to run the application as an administrator to configure it the first time.
Running it as a user and granting it elevated permissions just quit the app instead of opening the advanced settings.

)p(

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:53:48 pm »

I just tried it out, and it looks like Shairport4w is probably a better option than Airfoil Speakers.
I did not realize that the Airfoil Speakers app on PC/Mac required an Airfoil license - I thought that was only for the transmitter, not the receiver. (the iOS receiver app is free)

It also seems like it may be more reliable - I've actually found Airfoil Speakers to be quite unstable, though Airfoil itself is fine.

Setting Shairport4w to use a 250 frame buffer seems to keep it in sync with all my other devices - though you can increase it to 500 frames if sync/latency is not a concern.

With MC20's WDM driver, you would be able to configure Shairport to play audio through Media Center.
P.S. I had to run the application as an administrator to configure it the first time.
Running it as a user and granting it elevated permissions just quit the app instead of opening the advanced settings.

The most stable solution for me is using airserver from airserver.com. It's not free though. Be sure to enable its lossless audio AirPlay target, else it will compress audio to 48khz AAC instead of 44.1 alac.
Pages: [1]   Go Up