INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server Need to be On for the client to play?  (Read 1150 times)

TimberHo

• Recent member
Library Server Need to be On for the client to play?
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »

Anyone know if MC needs to be open and the Library Server on for the client to play from your main library?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server Need to be On for the client to play?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:23:18 pm »

No its not needed on the client (normally not wanted btw). But to be clear each install (client or server) has a Main Library. If you don't have any local files the Main Library on the client will have nothing to play.

If you want to play from the "main"  library on the "server" PC, of course "media server" but be on (the main program is not need however). Is that clear, or did I muck it up even more for you  ;D

Hint hint, powers that be ... nice to change that and call it Local Library and not Main confuses everybody for the first 6 months

TimberHo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:44:01 pm »

Thanks.  Just set it up...weird...I can see the library but when I go to play am getting a playback problem error message

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 02:05:46 pm »

Yes, the server obviously needs to be on, if that's where your media files are located.

TimberHo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:16:56 pm »

Got it...Files are on a NAS...I can see the library on the remote client but when I play I get a playback error message (even when the server library is on).  Any ideas?

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:24 pm »

How are the files mapped? Are they pointing to something like E:\Music\, or are they pointing to UNC paths? (e.g. \\server\share\music\)
It may be that the drive letter is different on each machine.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:10:53 pm »

How are the files mapped? Are they pointing to something like E:\Music\, or are they pointing to UNC paths? (e.g. \\server\share\music\)
It may be that the drive letter is different on each machine.

yes.

Just so I'm following ... you have your files on a NAS; you have one client computer and one "server" computer (running jr media server) right?

If so from the client you will be loading not what is listed as main library but the media server's main library (which you add to the client and name it something ... here's my client screenshot which has loaded the  "media server" PC's main library which I call simply "Downstairs". Try adding library?

Pages: [1]   Go Up