INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks for making changes  (Read 1822 times)

sskings

Thanks for making changes
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »

To the JRiver crew,

I have a set up involving JRiver on a PC, two WDTV Live players, and a Denon networked receiver.  A few versions back some changes were made to how v19 handles DLNA.  After a couple weeks, I can say that those changes have significantly stabilized my set up, reducing to almost zero issues with one or more Renderer dropping off the network.

Thanks for continuing to improve this functionality !
sskings

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Thanks for making changes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »

Thanks for letting us know.  Another happy customer :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sskings

Re: Thanks for making changes -- question for Matt
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:03:04 am »

Yes.  A happy customer.

Matt, what would make me a really, really happy customer is the capability in MC to convert an album stored as tracks to a gapless format that can be sent to DLNA.  This would be fantastic for the vast majority of Renderers that don't recognize the uPNP gapless features.  

Think Alan Parsons Project, Santana, god knows how many live albums.  Being able to avoid that 1/4 sec silence would be so wonderful.  

There have been rumors in the forum that you had been working on this late last year....  Is there an update you can share?

Thanks.  Steve

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Thanks for making changes -- question for Matt
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:33:42 am »

Yes.  A happy customer.

Matt, what would make me a really, really happy customer is the capability in MC to convert an album stored as tracks to a gapless format that can be sent to DLNA.  This would be fantastic for the vast majority of Renderers that don't recognize the uPNP gapless features.  

Think Alan Parsons Project, Santana, god knows how many live albums.  Being able to avoid that 1/4 sec silence would be so wonderful.  

There have been rumors in the forum that you had been working on this late last year....  Is there an update you can share?

Thanks.  Steve

The solution would be for a DLNA renderer to show up as an output plugin.  It would just take a steady stream of data.  We haven't done anything with it yet.  It provides a competing way to do playback on DLNA, and I'm a little afraid of adding confusion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:16:23 am »

^

I am not sure it would work cleanly as you would expect. Probably the biggest issue is whether the server / renderer could sustain an infinitely long HTTP GET session. MC can do its bit for sure, but if the renderer was trying to write the data to memory it would eventually overflow. Also, if the GET did drop, there is a challenge about how one would reestablish the session. Obviously it is clear that such an infinite GET can only work on stream formats that don't have sizing and frame counting in them; probably L16 and L24 would work, but others less so (certainly not Flac, Wav or Aif). Also you would probably do best if both renderer and server supported HTTP Chunked encoding..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

sskings

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:51:40 am »

AndrewFG, my desire is only for a single album to be sent losslessly.  75 min maximum. I think this is quite feasible.  Do you agree? . Steve

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:14:19 am »

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up