INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip DVD -> Exact copy? And some tips on transferring home videos from VHS..  (Read 3546 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe

Does MC's DVD ripping feature create an exact copy of the DVD on disk?

And: I'd really appreciate if someone could recommend software for reencoding, compressing, and splitting the DVD video?

For example, I have to make a decision on the end result video format: can I decide on using mkv with h264 content?

MakeMKV is the software I'd recommend using for this.
Media Center will rip the directory structure to a folder instead of muxing to a single file.

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Media Center will rip the directory structure to a folder instead of muxing to a single file.

... and mkvtoolnix and megui / mkvmerge are what I use for chapter, audio stream and subtitle manipulation (former) and compression (latter).
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

raldo

(1) Ripping

I'm ripping homevideos transferred from VHS to DVD using an LG RC-7300 player.

When importing the video in Handbrake, there seems to be two titles of equal length. Ripping one title gives only half the movie.

Thanks for the tip. MakeMKV doesn't have this issue and rips to one file that contains all video/audio.

(2) Reencoding.

Am I correct to understand that MakeMkv simply changes the container from DVD to MKV? And thus doesn't reencode?
The files are quite big.

Would you recommend using Handbrake for reencoding to h264?

... and mkvtoolnix and megui / mkvmerge are what I use for chapter, audio stream and subtitle manipulation (former) and compression (latter).

Skimming the docs at https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/docs.html doesn't give me the impression that any of the applications in the MkvToolnox package do reencoding?

(3) Editing

I need to split the files using a visual editor. What can you recommend here?

I've looked at Solveig Video splitter Solveig Video splitter. This costs $50.

Glad to hear that MakeMKV worked for you.
It can convert audio (by default it does not) but will not re-encode video. It's kept as the original quality.

I don't really recommend converting DVDs from MPEG2 to H264, as it will result in a loss of quality.
Handbrake is fine for this task.

I'm not sure about a good/inexpensive visual editor for video.

raldo

I don't really recommend converting DVDs from MPEG2 to H264, as it will result in a loss of quality.

I'll probably reencode to h264 using a compression level with which quality is sufficient.

Then, what about choosing mkv or mp4. Does the container make a difference? A quick google tells me that mp4 is safer since more people use mp4.

ferday

• MC Beta Team

mp4 is compatible with apple without modification, it only supports AAC audio (it can do AC3 multi-channel, but not widely supported) and only 1 audio stream per container.  it has good but proprietary (apple) chapter support and has plain text subtitles only.  it is not open source but is supported by nearly every platform in exsitence

mkv is a more powerful container, it will accept most all audio formats including AC3 and DTS as well as ogg, mp3 and flac, as well mkv can support multiple audio streams and chapter styles.  it is open source and becoming much more widely supported

there is no difference in "quality" as they are just containers, of course.  I'm now 100% mkv and never looking back but i'm not worried about transcoding my mp4 files either

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Raldo, reposting.

Latter refers to megui for compression work. Give it a look see.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up