INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are ripped DVDs more resource hogs than BluRays?  (Read 967 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Are ripped DVDs more resource hogs than BluRays?
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:44:23 pm »

I wanted to watch an old Robin Williams move, "Bicentennial Man" today, but could not get it to play without audio skips and video "white screens/pop-ups" appearing.  I tried watching it in RO-STD and RO-HQ but had trouble playing with both settings. I checked some other movies and found a confusing problem.

The movie is a DVD rip to Video-TS (ifo file). While watching with the madVR display stats showing, I could see that I was have problems with the Render Queue and the Present Queue.
Just before or just as the stuttering and video drop out occur, the Render Queue would be around 1-4/24 and the Present Queue would drop to 0-3/12. The other queues remain full. I checked a couple of other "ifo" movie rips and they also have the same low Render and Presentation queue numbers (but they do manage to play). What is interesting is that I tried a couple of BluRay rips (ripped to m2ts) and the queues remain full and they play back fine with no changes to madVR settings.

Problem is only with DVD rips.

So what is going on, and what should I check first?
My benchmark is a JR 2315 and I have an NVidia video card. I tried playing on different computers including the server and the issue is not data transmission (networking).

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Are ripped DVDs more resource hogs than BluRays?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:29:47 pm »

Try reducing the queue sizes. DVDs can have problems with long queues.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up