INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Pulling Away from iOS Phones  (Read 1550 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Android Pulling Away from iOS Phones
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:45:18 am »

"Google's Android mobile OS now runs on 84.7 per cent of the 301 million mobile phones the world created in the second quarter of 2014, according to market-watcher IDC."

TheRegister

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Android Pulling Away from iOS Phones
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:20 am »

:o   Sound like there are at least 84.7 reasons to back Gizmo to its next level of greatness.

Any thoughts on where JRiver and MC is going to go with that statistic?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Android Pulling Away from iOS Phones
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:46 pm »

Apple's total desktop/laptop share has also been dipping pretty sharply for the last three months.  That should be taken with caution, obviously, because the stats often fluctuate so it may not mean a whole lot, but Apple just hit a four-year low (6.6%), which even in the staggered walk of usage stats may be a bad sign (although they hit a pretty good high in March, so who knows).

On the other hand, Linux has been steadily and consistently rising, and hit an all-time high in the desktop/laptop space in June (1.7%). That's still small potatos, and it may just be a sign of demographic reshaping from the contraction of the desktop market (i.e. many people are replacing computers with android tablets, and the population that continues to use desktops/laptops may be, on average, slightly more inclined to use Linux than the total population of computer/device users, etc.). 

What's interesting about the Linux situation though, is that windows usage took a dip in late 2013, but recovered and has otherwise been more or less flat for several years (the usage today is very close to the usage two years ago in the measures I've seen).  Which means that the net effect is that Linux's half percent may have come out of apple's market share, and not out of windows', which I never would have expected in a million years.  See, e.g. http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=163&qpnp=24&qptimeframe=M  (In August 2012 the stats were W 91.77 M 7.13 and L 1.1, in July 2014 they're W 91.68 M 6.64 and L 1.68

Obviously one would have drawn very different conclusions looking at the same data six or eight months ago, and the data in a few months may shw a complete reversal, so grain of salt, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up