INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO help for newbie  (Read 2826 times)

Lorienblack

ASIO help for newbie
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:32 am »

Hi guys - I've just installed the STX and I am very impressed so far.

I also installed ASIO to run in conjunction with JRiver. My problem is, that when I select the STX/ASIO option from the option menu, it disables all functions of the STX card. Is this normal? I wanted to bypass windows functions but retain function of the card, if only a volume control.

Any pointers?

Many thanks for any help.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: AISO help for newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:55 am »

ASIO is a hardware direct method of connecting to a sound card and bypasses most functions. You should use internal volume in JRiver to control the volume. Click the speaker next to JRiver's volume control and switch to internal volume. Make sure you lower the volume before starting playback. It is also recommended that you use Volume Protection.

You can also access these settings in Tools > Options > Audio > Volume.

Lorienblack

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:24:51 am »

Thanks - I'll try that tonight.

Is the advantage of AISO really worth it? Lots of people rate the cards EQ capabilities and AISO, but the two functions seem mutually exclusive.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:11 am »

Thanks - I'll try that tonight.

Is the advantage of AISO really worth it? Lots of people rate the cards EQ capabilities and AISO, but the two functions seem mutually exclusive.

IMHO,  ASIO is not better than WASAPI or vice versa. It depends on your setup. If your dac sound card has native ASIO support, you know it will work. I'v read a lot of BS about this. I think your Asus has native ASIO support ... try both and choose what your ears like (if you can hear a difference), or just use what is the stablest and easiest for you setup.

EQ capabilities? and ASIO? do not see what the rapport is for playback. Nope,  not sure I get that one. If you want to use DSPs, do them in JRiver itself, don't add ASUS stuff in you listening chain (or I misunderstood, quite probable :) ). There is a thread on here about your card somewhere if you have issues.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »

There are a few differences between ASIO and WASAPI. Some of these differences make ASIO more useful for pro audio and multiple outputs.

With the Asus STX, WASAPI still resamples based on the output setting in the control panel. It also uses the Windows volume control and any of the Asus driver settings. With ASIO, there is a direct connection to the hardware bypassing all this. There is also reduced latency with ASIO which can be helpful when using Tools > Open Live.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:55 pm »

There are a few differences between ASIO and WASAPI. Some of these differences make ASIO more useful for pro audio and multiple outputs.

With the Asus STX, WASAPI still resamples based on the output setting in the control panel. It also uses the Windows volume control and any of the Asus driver settings. With ASIO, there is a direct connection to the hardware bypassing all this. There is also reduced latency with ASIO which can be helpful when using Tools > Open Live.

I was referring only to playback not multiple outlet, using protools, pushing to DLNA devices etc.  I do not believe, if the windows config is set up correctly, and you run MC in exclusive mode this comes into play at all using digital outs. There is no resampling of my audio until it hits my DAC.

Hardware dependant of course. Sure there are benefits to ASIO, but SQ is not necessarily one of them. Latency though I'd agree with you, if I used Live for video, probably be good to change.

However  i do not have an STX card!!  So better follow Mojave's advice, OP :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:29:31 pm »

I was referring only to playback not multiple outlet, using protools, pushing to DLNA devices etc.  I do not believe, if the windows config is set up correctly, and you run MC in exclusive mode this comes into play at all using digital outs. There is no resampling of my audio until it hits my DAC.

Hardware dependant of course. Sure there are benefits to ASIO, but SQ is not necessarily one of them. Latency though I'd agree with you, if I used Live for video, probably be good to change.

However  i do not have an STX card!!  So better follow Mojave's advice, OP :)

I can confirm that the Asus cards I've owned (the ST, which is the PCI  sister card to the STX, and the DX) will resample in WASAPI mode (i.e. they will not automatically switch sample rates to match input material when set to WASAPI).  In ASIO mode they switch sample rates successfully, which is preferable.  It's a known quirk of the Asus cards, and some Creative cards: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78291.0

If the Asus ASIO driver works correctly for you, I'd generally recommend using it unless you really need some of the builtin Asus DSP; I found the Asus control panel/DSP to be a source of some fairly extreme latency (extreme enough to cause occasional pops and dropouts in the audio stream).  Your mileage may vary of course, one or the other may be "better behaved" in your specific computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up