INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick(ish) UR824 Question  (Read 4095 times)

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
Quick(ish) UR824 Question
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:49 am »

Hey Guys

I picked up a really reasonably priced UR824 and am now trying to get it to work with Audiolense.  I know some people have experience with this combination on the JRiver forums.

I got the output channels set up for my 2.1 setup as such:

Left Main          1
Right Main         0
Sub                 3

BUT, what is the input channel for the two mic inputs on the front of the Steinberg?  The mic works completely fine and I can see it light up in the Steinberg DSP with random noises.  I just get NOTHING showing up on the Microphone Input Montior section of Audiolense regardless of the Input Channel I specify.

Also, I assume that once I get the convolution files generated, I can just load them into JRiver and not worry about messing with the channels (offsets, etc.)?

Thanks guys!!  I'm excited for this combo!  ;D

-Jim

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Quick(ish) UR824 Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25:23 am »

I don't have much experience with the 824 with audiolense, so hopefully mojave can weigh in as he has experience with both. 

I assume you've tried the obvious things in the UR824 mixer software?  For example, I assume you've played around with the channel routing in the 824 mixer panel?  I recall that most of the mic channels are muted by default, which caught me at first.  Sorry I'm not more help!

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:56 am »

Some pics of the setup (the various Steinberg DSP screens and the Measurement section of Audiolense):

-Jim

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:49 am »

Some pics of the setup (the various Steinberg DSP screens and the Measurement section of Audiolense):
-Jim

I can't see the whole window, but It looks to me like you have all of the input channels muted in those pictures (the M button is highlighted yellow on all eight analog inputs).  The channel that's showing activity (the far left) is muted (mute light is lit up, fader is turned all the way down)  Am I reading that right?

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:27:26 am »

mwillems!  Thanks for chiming in.  I've been playing with the Mute buttons, too, while trying to avoid feedback loops.  Here it is with a no-highlighted "M":

http://i62.tinypic.com/r0ay47.jpg

No change in Audiolense.

Here is the same setup in REW:

-Jim

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:43:55 pm »

mwillems!  Thanks for chiming in.  I've been playing with the Mute buttons, too, while trying to avoid feedback loops.  Here it is with a no-highlighted "M":

http://i62.tinypic.com/r0ay47.jpg

No change in Audiolense.

Here is the same setup in REW:

-Jim

So wait, is that REW picture showing input or no?  That is to say, is everything working correctly in REW but not in audiolense?  If so, I'm out of ideas because I don't have much audiolense experience;

If it isn't working in REW either, then I'd suggest checking the green volume dial on the input in the Steinberg mixer, in the previous pic it was showing total attenuation (i.e. - infinity).

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 03:19:08 pm »

So wait, is that REW picture showing input or no?  That is to say, is everything working correctly in REW but not in audiolense?  If so, I'm out of ideas because I don't have much audiolense experience;

If it isn't working in REW either, then I'd suggest checking the green volume dial on the input in the Steinberg mixer, in the previous pic it was showing total attenuation (i.e. - infinity).

Yeah, no, sorry, should have clarified.  It works perfectly fine in REW.

So annoying!!  Thanks, though, for taking a look.  I'll pm Mojave.

-Jim

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:01 am »

Using new hardware can be complicated at first.
Several things:
  • Your output level knob in the Steinberg control panel should be at -0dB for all channels.
  • Your mutes in the control panel look correct and should be activated for all channels.
  • You are using the first channel in the Steinberg, but the second channel in Audiolense. You need to use Channel 0 in Audiolense.
  • Set the output level in the Audiolense measurement window to -20 dB.
  • I would recommend not using a non-standard output setting. Use channel 0 for Left, channel 1 for right, and channel 3 for subwoofer. This will then work properly with JRiver set to 5.1 output. Otherwise you will inadvertently end up switching left and right channels. If your amplifiers aren't connected properly, then reconnect them to the proper outputs. Use Check Speaker Connections in the Audiolense measurement window to make sure they are correct before measuring.
  • REW should be closed or it will tie up the ASIO channels (if using ASIO in REW)

When using the UR824 for playback, I set all UR824 control panel outputs to DAW Out 1/2, DAW Out 2/3, etc. Then in JRiver I set the channel offset to 10 in the Audio Device > Device Settings. This makes sure that any UR824 mixer functions are bypassed. If you look at the block diagram on page 30 of the UR824 manual, you can see that the channels are as follows:
1-8:  Mix Outputs (ASIO channels 0-7)
11-26:  DAW Outputs (ASIO channels 10-25)

Since JRiver is the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), you can set the offset to 10 when using DAW Out 1/2.

For measuring with Audiolense, it is still best to use Mix 1 L/R, Mix 2 L/R, etc.

Extra Credit:
The Steinberg is unique in that you can use the analog outputs for one zone and the headphone outputs for additional zones using the following:
Analog Outputs Offset = 10
Phones1 Output Offset = 0, Mix 1
Phones2 Output Offset = 2, Mix 2
Somewhere in the UR824 control panel you need to assign the Phones to Mix 1 or Mix 2. This lets you use the headphones without the sound going through the rest of your sytem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up