INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi! This is the ezmlm program  (Read 7609 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Hi! This is the ezmlm program
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:56:16 am »

I have just received the message below from JRiver (I have deleted parts of my email address to avoid the attentions of any malicious web crawlers).

My first reaction was that it looked suspiciously like spam but other posts to this forum about similar messages suggest that it is actually a valid automated communication from JRiver. It claims to provide the text of a bounce message received by the JRiver server when trying to email me but doesn't actually tell me anything beyond saying that it is a "failure notice".

On checking my inbox, I now see that the last communication I received from JRiver was on 20 March 2014, which explains why I never received any advance notification of the MC20 upgrade. I haven't changed my email address for many years and am unaware of any problems with my email account (I get loads of emails every day).  

I have sent a blank message to mlist-subscribe at listserver.JRiver.com as requested, which I trust will fix this problem. However, it is not clear why any such action was necessary, given that the warning message below was sent to my correct address!

David

EDIT:  After sending that blank message to the JRiver server I received an email stating that I "was already on the mlist mailing list". It looks like JRiver's mailing list process needs a little remedial care and attention...

=========================================================
Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the mlist at listserver.JRiver.com mailing list.

Messages to you from the mlist mailing list seem to have been bouncing. I sent you a warning message, but it bounced.
I've attached a copy of the bounce message.

This is a probe to check whether your address is reachable. If this probe bounces, I will remove your address from the mlist at listserver.JRiver.com mailing list, without further notice. You can re-subscribe by sending an empty message to the following address:
   mlist-subscribe at listserver.JRiver.com

--- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

Return-Path: <>
Received: (qmail 19899 invoked for bounce); 19 Aug 2014 11:50:38 -0000
Date: 19 Aug 2014 11:50:38 -0000
From MAILER-DAEMON at webserver.JRiver.com
To: mlist-return-warn-1408448881.fdolblmaefelepkneohi-david.XXXXXXX=XXX.co.uk at listserver.JRiver.com
Subject: failure notice

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hi! This is the ezmlm program
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:01:40 am »

A mail server between JRiver and your machine is failing.  It's probably at your ISP.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:50:47 am »

A mail server between JRiver and your machine is failing.  It's probably at your ISP.
Hi Jim,
Without a meaningful bounce message, I have very little evidence to present to my ISP.

Does "qmail 19899 invoked for bounce" provide some insight into the reason for the email rejection? My attempts to Google that piece of technobabble produced no useful results.

David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:03:20 am »

That message should tell them enough to let them look for a problem.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 08:54:11 am »

Jim,
I've just contacted the tech support people at my ISP (zen.co.uk). Zen is a premium ISP that provides direct telephone access to UK-based support staff who clearly have a good grasp of the relevant technology, unlike other ISPs of my previous acquaintance.

The person I spoke to could find nothing wrong with my mail account but was unable to extract anything useful from your bounce message. He said that he needs the header info from the original bounce message received by your server in order to make a proper investigation. Can you provide this?

David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:32:24 am »

I'm sorry, but I can't help with this.  I suggest trying a gmail account.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:09:56 am »

Jim,
I am very reluctant to complicate my life by opening yet another email account when my current service has been working extremely well for several years. I have 25GB of Outlook PST files, which would not have happened if my ISP regularly rejected incoming emails. In any case, you can't say that similar problems would never happen with Gmail addresses when you don't yet know why 5 months of messages sent to my current address were bounced.

Unless you make a practice of deleting bounce messages within days of receipt, you must still have a copy of the message under discussion here, dated 19 Aug. Is there some reason why you are reluctant to send me a full copy?

David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

Debugging email problems is time consuming.  JRiver's outbound e-mail is working or you wouldn't have received any email from us.  I'm sorry, but this isn't a problem we can help with.  Your ISP should be able to find it.

Using a different e-mail address was just a suggestion.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 03:41:27 pm »

I'm not asking you to debug this email problem. If what you really mean is that you are too busy to go looking for the relevant bounce message then that's fair enough, as it is in my interests for you to keep busy making Media Center an even better program than it already is. However, the reaction from my ISP (who was more than happy to help) made it clear that your current practice of only passing on part of a bounce message makes it very difficult to debug the problem in this case.

At the very least, can I ask you to add a reconsideration of the contents of your "This is a probe to check whether your address is reachable..." messages to your 'Things to do' list. When time allows, it seems advisable to modify the process so that the original header is included when quoting a previous bounce message.

David 

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 04:29:42 pm »

I too had this message this morning. I've been receiving emails from JRiver for 11 years, and 6 years to the current email address. Never had this message before and have not had email problems recently. Last JRiver email was on the 1st of August with the MC20 registration code.

It would seem to be within the bounds of possibility that some change you have made to do with your recent email issues could be the cause.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 04:29:55 pm »

You could try using our Restore Page to e-mail yourself your license.  It may not work.  If so, let them know.  Let them know the exact time.  Do it again while they are on the phone.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »

I have tried your license restore process, as suggested, which generated an email response that was received without any problem (though it told me I had used up one of my limit of 10 annual restores).

While this proves that I appear to have no current problem in receiving emails from JRiver, this was not really a surprise, otherwise I would never have received the "Hi! This is the ezmlm program..." email that kicked off this discussion.   

David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »

Then the most likely scenario is that they blocked our newsletter because it was thought to be spam.

If you have a whitelist, you could try adding jriver.com.

You must have done a restore (option 1).  If you e-mail yourself your licenses (option 2), no restores are used.  If you run out, let us know.  They can be reset.
Pages: [1]   Go Up