INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone tried "Out of your Head" Softwear?  (Read 7359 times)

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
Has anyone tried "Out of your Head" Softwear?
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »

Anyone tried this?  It's supposed to be like a Smyth Realiser but only $149.  I do believe someone will get this right for headphone listening one day but not sure if this is it.
Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River (Current)> Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo M Scaler>Wave Stream dual BNC >Chord Hugo TT 2 > DCA Stealth

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Has anyone tried "Out of your Head" Softwear?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »

never heard of it but check this out

Out Of Your Head is compatible with all the major media playback software, including iTunes, Windows Media Player, VLC, and JRiver Media Center.

Not sure you can't get that with the DSPs built into to JRiver --  between convolution and parametric eq. in DSP studio.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »

i tried the trial software...it's neat but sounds horrible IMO, and it clips like crazy have to do some volume trickery. 

it simulates multichannel not badly but almost all the presets sound like your're sitting somewhere weird, many of them are very echo sounding

i can quite easily say i have no interest in paying anything for it...if it was a free / 0.99 plugin dll for JRiver i'd probably have it around for fun but it isn't for critical listening.

try the trial yourself and see but i can't imagine anyone thinks it's great

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »

Thanks!
Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River (Current)> Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo M Scaler>Wave Stream dual BNC >Chord Hugo TT 2 > DCA Stealth

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:04:26 am »

I don't know that I'd say it sounds horrible - I'd say that the problem with software which uses profiles like this, is that it's dependent on the quality of the sound system being recorded, and most of them are not particularly good.
This is the main thing which prevented me from purchasing a Smyth Realiser too, since that is dependent on you finding a good enough speaker setup to measure yourself.

There were one or two presets that I liked when I tried the program, but I found that I had to change presets depending on the track playing, and they all had problems with the lower frequencies. Some of the presets also seemed like they were slightly off-center too.
At a tenth the price, I might have purchased it for occasional use, but it seemed very overpriced to me.

I wish that Media Center would separate downmixing from the output format DSP so that you could use VST plugins which require a multichannel input.
Right now, if you try to use a virtual surround VST plugin, it's downmixed first and only receives a stereo signal.

I had hoped to use Blue Ripple Sound's Binaural Surround VST, as I think they do a great job with Rapture3D in games, but it won't work with the way that Media Center currently handles downmixing.
There was also a person from GenAudio who said that AstoundSound might be a possibility if they had access to the multichannel source. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90456.msg622089#msg622089

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:08:41 pm »

there is one that rises heads and tails above the rest for this sort of thing.

TB Isone.

it is absolutely phenomenal.

ive tried them all, and there is nothing better.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

there is one that rises heads and tails above the rest for this sort of thing.
TB Isone.
it is absolutely phenomenal.
ive tried them all, and there is nothing better.
You can't use it with Media Center though, since it's a VST plugin rather than a virtual sound device, and thus only receives a 2-channel signal rather than multichannel.

meloman

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »

"Out Of Your Head" is a hit or miss since the HRTF that the creator used may or may not match with your ear's HRTF. There are some pre-made sample tracks on the website that you can try without having to install and configure their software:

https://fongaudio.com/demo

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:29:48 am »

Had to google HRTF  :-[ .... I can see this for gaming but for audio? Maybe I misunderstood, but is this how artists hear their own music and want others to listen to it -- maybe I'm totally clueless .. is this just to compensate for headphone listening and not for regular speakers?

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »

HRTF only works for headphones.  that is its sole use.
ideally with the transducers in the same location as they were during the recording.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:55:14 am »

HRTF only works for headphones.  that is its sole use.
ideally with the transducers in the same location as they were during the recording.

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:18 am »

Tried last night with latest versions of MC20 and Foobar but both give Unsupported playback error
Pages: [1]   Go Up