INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 and Sonos  (Read 1926 times)

PNCD1

• Recent member
MC19 and Sonos
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:12:05 am »

I have read posts that make clear DNLA can be tricky and especially with Sonos.  I am hoping someone has a recipe for solving this problem.
I am running MC19 on Windows set up with media network/DNLA.  I have no problem using JRemote in iPad to manage playback through PS Audio PerfectWave streamer/DAC.  The connection between the MC19 server and PS Audio is wired. 
I also have a Sonos PowerPlay 5 with a WiFi connection to the same network.  MC 19 "sees" the Sonos as a Zone.  JRemote "sees" it as renderer.
When I use JRemote or MC19 I am able to play MP3, CD res FLAC and HiRes FLAC from MC19 to PS Audio without a hitch.  When I try to play the same files to the Sonos I get a message that the file format is unsupported - evry format and every time.
It seems to me that I am half way there with the Sonos.  Can anyone help me get all the way there?
Thank you.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC19 and Sonos
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:27:24 am »

MC ¦ Tools ¦ Options ¦ Media Network ¦ Add or Configure DLNA Servers ¦ Audio ¦ Mode ¦ Specified output format ¦ Format ¦ L16 No Header
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

PNCD1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:24:12 pm »

Andrew.
This implies that all music played by the server will be restricted to L16 format.  Is it not possible to have the format determined by the renderer and if two or more are selected then each gets its own format requirement?
Thank you.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »

Is it not possible to have the format determined by the renderer and if two or more are selected then each gets its own format requirement?

The Upnp specifications for digital media renderer and digital media server have a method called GetProtocolInfo that allows each device to publish a list of all the different media formats that it is capable of delivering (server) or consuming (player). And the intent of the specification is that for each track being played, the server shall dynamically select the highest common denominator between the format of the actual track and the respective source- and sink- protocolinfo formats of the server and the player.

Unfortunately MC does not follow the intent of the specification, insofar as it only offers a fixed choice between native and one other fixed choice of transcoded format (actually one fixed choice each for audio, video and images).

I have been lobbying JRiver for some time to change this, and implement a proper Upnp /Dlna "auto" setting as the specification intends, but so far they have not committed to do so.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:30:38 pm »

What the protocol intends and what a device says are often two different things.  We do our best to make it work, even if the device doesn't obey the protocol.

PNCD1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:48 am »

OK.  So I need two MC servers, one configured to drop all higher resolutions to L16 for when I want to include the Sonos, and the other to play at native resolution when I am just using my main system.  That sure seems inelegant but such is life.
Thank you both.  Peter

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:42:36 am »

What the protocol intends and what a device says are often two different things.  We do our best to make it work, even if the device doesn't obey the protocol.
As far as I can tell, Media Center does not even attempt to query the device about what formats it supports. I've had to manually configure this setting for every DLNA device I've tried.
Pages: [1]   Go Up