INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync only selected songs & Managing Two iPods / Pono  (Read 3532 times)

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
Sync only selected songs & Managing Two iPods / Pono
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »

Hello.  I hope you can help me  ? with these two separate but related questions:

1) ONLY SELECTED SONGS: I want to omit from my iPod sync my kids' music due to space constraints.  Is there a way to "uncheck" certain songs I do want in my JMC library, but don't want sync'd to the iPod?  As I rip more of my own CDs, I will want to "uncheck" certain songs as I go.  I've read this... http://wiki.JRiver.com/index.php/Sync ..., but in the Handheld options I don't see any sort of "all except" options or a list I could call up to uncheck songs.  I obviously can't relegate my whole collection (minus the kids') to only one new playlist I select, as that would leave off the playlist structure I need to access from the iPod.  I recall unchecking a couple songs when I used to use iTunes for the few songs on otherwise complete albums I did not want sync'd.  While I'm no fan of iTunes' other inflexibilities, that approach would accomplish what I need.  I see JMC does not take that approach, but is there some other way to get to the same result?

2) TWO iPODS: The above situation brings me to the conclusion I want a second 160GB iPod Classic to hold the above overflow (both iPods to augment the Pono player I am very excited for :) ).  In a perfect world, if my JMC library was 180 GB, I'd have my Favorite Songs (say 130GB of them) on both iPods, and then split the remaining 50GB across them (say 25/25)--so using 155GB of space on both.  As I rip to JMC over the years, I'd skinny down the 130GB that is on both iPods only as necessary.  As long as I'm talking "perfect world", I'd also have a lossy mp3 copy of my entire JMC library on both iPods (say that's a 5GB Lossy Copy to make the math easy--130+25+5=160GB).  When the Pono arrives, I'd designate 50GB of the 130 GB of Favorite Songs as Really Favorite Songs and then fill the Pono to capacity with songs I select from the remaining 80GB of merely Favorite Songs.  I get that I ain't gettin' a perfect world.  And I've got some "stacks" and "playlists" thoughts going through my mind.  But I would love to hear any suggestions from this sage group (or things to consider/look out for) about how I might tackle implementing something like I have described.

Thank you very much for your thoughts on either or both of the above questions.  I also just have to say how happy I am that you guys will be the engine serving up the Pono.  Much reason to be optimistic about higher fidelity audio and associated equipment for our future.

In case interesting to anyone as to why I'm doing this and how I'm using mobile devices, I currently for example bring my iPod to a friend's house and "spin" playlists, etc. through his iPod dock.  That's so frequent and close, I'd just bring two iPods, swap off as needed and figure out some approach to playlists that lose songs as I am forced to skinny down.  On anything from my commute to a camping trip, I'd just pick one iPod to carry, but I'd still like to have maximum access to the breadth of my collection.  If I can implement something like above, that would be better than the more obvious (and I presume easily doable once I get another iPod) alternative of 160GB on one iPod and 20GB on the other.

I'm also planning on doing some "critical listening" on the Pono, including seeing where I can hear differences between different file formats of the same song, between different releases of the same album, different bit rates, etc.  I have a "test set" of about a dozen albums that I've ripped to 6 different file formats.  You all helped me get my tags lined up as nicely as possible for that test set, so thanks again for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up