INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feeling really stupid but where is the new artist search and how to nest Search  (Read 2790 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

Just can't find it ... I have no choices to add this from theater view so I thought it part of Search or Gadgets. I know probably in front of my face, but was too embarassed to ask before

And is it normal I cannot nest Search under audio. On a main roller yes, under gadget, yes. Thanks

Get all of my stupids out of the way at once (please no clever retorts  :P )

kensn

• MC Beta Team

It took me a while, but if you drill down to a single track in theater view, on the Play roller, it will be the last item on the roller.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Instead of a particular roller selection, it would be really nice to implement this idea:
http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84964.msg586630#msg586630

Shorter:  In Theater View, when you drill down to the details level (showing a single file) you can highlight individual tags with the cursor (and hit Enter to "open" them if they're truncated).  If the tag isn't truncated, hitting Enter does nothing.  I want to scroll down and select the Genre, or Director, or Actors, (etc) and Enter on them to bring up a search for that particular tag.  Much like the "magic arrows" in Standard View, but from within Theater View.

This has been brought up a number of times (by me) in the past and has gotten a variety of +1s from people (and I think, if memory serves, even vague support from Matt at one point).

The search should, in my estimation, happen "within" the current Theater View Media View, using those filters (so a search from within a Music View won't show TV Show results, and whatnot), and just reset the "categories" as though they were set to the selected tag.  And, while you're at it, if you read the above linked thread, it could solve the need to "Mark as Played/Unplayed" from within Theater View as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

connersw

I agree with Glynor.  

With its current implementation, there are two issues beyond it being limited to just Artist:

1) There is a bug where if the Artist Field is a List, it causes MC20 to crash.
2) It is not available from Playing Now -- where it would be most useful.

I created a work around a while back with a variety of "Currently Playing" Smartlists for Album, Artist, Genre, Similar Songs, and Other Versions of the Song.  In Theater View, I then Added a Category called Currently Playing using that Playlist Grouping.  If anyone is interested, I can share the Smartlists and screen shots on how to set it up.

It is still not perfect when Fields are set up as Lists though.  It only matches the exact list, when I really wish it would match every item in the list.  ie, if the Artist is Ray Charles; Norah Jones, I wish it brought up all tracks by both Ray Charles and Norah Jones, but instead it only brings up the specific tracks where the Artist is Ray Charles; Norah Jones.  At least it doesn't crash though.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I want this primarily for video files.  Music files?  Meh.  It'd be okay, but I'd rarely use it, because I have a nice Genre/Artist/Album view hierarchy, so there's no need because Back/Back does the same thing.  For video, I want:

Other movies with this actor or actress.
Other movies by this director (I'd really like this one).
Similar movies (same Genre is pretty close to this idea).
Other episodes from a particular series.
Other series with this actor.
Other TV episodes directed by the same director.
Other series by the same writer.

There are a ton of places in my video views where the ability to occasionally, quick-search for a particular matching tag (especially with List-Type fields like Actor and Genre) would be massively useful, without having to build custom views for it.  Plus, the way I want to access these is typically from "within" a particular individual file (so right here on the individual file detail view would be ideal).  Whereas if I'm looking for something for music, I'm usually more looking for "similar to artist X" (which roughly correlates to Genre in my Library, so I just go to the Genre/Artist/Album view).

Plus, that part of the UI just doesn't do anything now.  You can hit Enter on the items, and assuming they aren't truncated, nothing happens.  That's useless.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

With its current implementation, there are two issues beyond it being limited to just Artist:

1) There is a bug where if the Artist Field is a List, it causes MC20 to crash.

Next build:
Fixed: The find artist command in Theater View would have problems with list fields.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

I want this primarily for video files.  Music files?  Meh.  It'd be okay, but I'd rarely use it, because I have a nice Genre/Artist/Album view hierarchy, so there's no need because Back/Back does the same thing.  For video, I want:

Other movies with this actor or actress.
Other movies by this director (I'd really like this one).
Similar movies (same Genre is pretty close to this idea).
Other episodes from a particular series.
Other series with this actor.
Other TV episodes directed by the same director.
Other series by the same writer.

There are a ton of places in my video views where the ability to occasionally, quick-search for a particular matching tag (especially with List-Type fields like Actor and Genre) would be massively useful, without having to build custom views for it.  Plus, the way I want to access these is typically from "within" a particular individual file (so right here on the individual file detail view would be ideal).  Whereas if I'm looking for something for music, I'm usually more looking for "similar to artist X" (which roughly correlates to Genre in my Library, so I just go to the Genre/Artist/Album view).

Plus, that part of the UI just doesn't do anything now.  You can hit Enter on the items, and assuming they aren't truncated, nothing happens.  That's useless.

I've mentioned something similar to this myself many times throughout the versions. anywhere in theaterview(gizmo, webgizmo if they ever get sync'd and used as one interface) where the tags show, one would be able to click the tag, and be brought to those tags, in the case of trailer tag, it would bring up the link within theaterview's displayview showing the youtube\trailer of that show.

For audio we would love this feature, for we are a household that uses shuffle genre often, and many times we run across new artists, or genres, and would love to quickly be able to play all albums from this artist, all tracks from this album, or play all from this particular genre.

video - all suggestions glynor mentioned would be stellar as well!

+1 from us.

Arindelle

ok thanks for the answer, found it. But how about being able to nest "search" - I can't seem to make it work.

As mentioned drilling down or having to leave a screen to search is a PITA.  In JRemote there is a search function always available both in the menu and in the main content area - I know that remote control buttons rule since version 17, but even if I have a good set up for artist and genre searching, I don't necessarily want to have to back out from where I am. The JRemote interface setup really provides some nice functionality, which I think could be integrated without a roller "hierarchy" - like the ? marks which open another window with meta data.

Glynor mentioned the magic arrows -- I LOVE the magic errors use them all of the time (OT anyway that another could be added to the track name in standard view, -- that would be great to find covers on the fly); I like his idea of entering tag items for a quick search. The only problem I have with that is that you have to be drilled down all the way to a detail level with an info screen up. With a click on the JRemote-type icon it could open that info screen directly from Playing Now for example.

In the mean time just being able to access search from any roller would help IMHO. That's why I'd like to nest it.

+1 on Glynor's request. Every field should act as a search in Theater View.
E.g. being able to select a director's name and view all their work, or a specific actor's name.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Shorter:  In Theater View, when you drill down to the details level (showing a single file) you can highlight individual tags with the cursor (and hit Enter to "open" them if they're truncated).  If the tag isn't truncated, hitting Enter does nothing.  I want to scroll down and select the Genre, or Director, or Actors, (etc) and Enter on them to bring up a search for that particular tag.  Much like the "magic arrows" in Standard View, but from within Theater View.

Next build:
NEW: Enter on any field in Theater View will show files that match that search (instead of toggling the expanded state).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

SWEET!

will Trailer be clickable, and viewable too by any chance? :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Next build:
NEW: Enter on any field in Theater View will show files that match that search (instead of toggling the expanded state).

I knew I kept paying you guys for some reason.  You rock, sir!  :D

glynor

• MC Beta Team

will Trailer be clickable, and viewable too by any chance? :)

That's probably going to take more work, I'd guess.

Pages: [1]   Go Up