INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to get ASIO Line In to work with an RME Fireface 800  (Read 5281 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Unable to get ASIO Line In to work with an RME Fireface 800
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »

I have recently switched to an RME FireFace 800 and have been trying, and failing, to get ASIO Line In to work.

My setup is to route software playback channel 7 to hardware output ADAT1 then activate loopback on ADAT1.

The channel numbers are;

analogue = 1-10
spdif = 11-12
ADAT = 13-28

i.e. ADAT1 is channel 12

Therefore I go to JRiver and choose channel offset 12 and then JRiver sits there saying opening... but not doing anything.

This seems to be a jriver specific problem as I can successfully record a sweep in both REW and Acourate configured to output to analogue channel 7 and record on ADAT1.

Any ideas on how to proceed and/or debug this?

Thanks
Matt

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Unable to get ASIO Line In to work with an RME Fireface 800
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:44:55 pm »

What device are you using for output in JRiver?  If it's the fireface, that may be the source of your trouble.  I've never successfully configured JRiver to handle ASIO input and output on the same device at the same time, even if there are enough channels.  I think some folks have gotten it working with certain devices, but the ASIO line-in dialog warns that it may not work, and that's been my experience.

If not, try a test to see if WASAPI loopback or using JRiver's ASIO driver as an input works; I recently had an issue where all inputs failed to work for a few builds, and if that's your situation, you may have the same issue (it was fiixed in a recent MC20 build). 

If neither of those are the issue, maybe you can provide more info about your use case; is this for measurement or something else?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:35 pm »

I am using the fireface for output yes. This used to work fine with my old device (focusrite saffire pro 24).

How would I use jriver as the input here?

The use case is primarily measurements but some use of redirecting YouTube etc through jriver. I don't do much of that though.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:20 pm »

I am using the fireface for output yes. This used to work fine with my old device (focusrite saffire pro 24).

As I said, some folks have gotten it working with some devices, but I've never personally gotten it to work and the dialog box warns that it might not work.  Someone else with a Fireface may have some insight.

How would I use JRiver as the input here?

The use case is primarily measurements but some use of redirecting YouTube etc through JRiver. I don't do much of that though.

JRiver has an ASIO driver for input built in as of version 19, so you should be able to select JRiver's ASIO driver as an output option in any ASIO capable software (i.e. most measurement software).  JRiver shows up in the list of available devices, and choosing JRiver as on output option delivers the output of the external software to the ASIO line in, which is then routed through JRiver, etc.  Some measurement suites insist on using the same device for input and output, so that obviously wouldnt work in that case.

As for youtube, web-browsers aren't typically ASIO-capable, so for redirecting youtube I can recommend using WASAPI loopback as an alternative if you can't get the JRiver/Fireface nexus to handle both input and output.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized we discussed this once before, and you had some trouble getting the ASIO driver going: http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88927.0  If you're game to try and troubleshoot I'm happy to help.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:04:17 pm »

As I said, some folks have gotten it working with some devices, but I've never personally gotten it to work and the dialog box warns that it might not work.  Someone else with a Fireface may have some insight.

JRiver has an ASIO driver for input built in as of version 19, so you should be able to select JRiver's ASIO driver as an output option in any ASIO capable software (i.e. most measurement software).  JRiver shows up in the list of available devices, and choosing JRiver as on output option delivers the output of the external software to the ASIO line in, which is then routed through JRiver, etc.  Some measurement suites insist on using the same device for input and output, so that obviously wouldnt work in that case.

As for youtube, web-browsers aren't typically ASIO-capable, so for redirecting youtube I can recommend using WASAPI loopback as an alternative if you can't get the JRiver/Fireface nexus to handle both input and output.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized we discussed this once before, and you had some trouble getting the ASIO driver going: http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88927.0  If you're game to try and troubleshoot I'm happy to help.
I did find another thread from a FF user (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87836.0) but I think that poster ended up using virtual audio cable instead. Actually now I reread that thread I see the poster says it works with ASIO client inbetween so I guess I try that first.

If there is a jriver WDM driver coming soon then I guess asio line in will end up being deprecated anyway won't it?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:13:21 pm »

I did find another thread from a FF user (http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87836.0) but I think that poster ended up using virtual audio cable instead. Actually now I reread that thread I see the poster says it works with ASIO client inbetween so I guess I try that first.

If there is a JRiver WDM driver coming soon then I guess asio line in will end up being deprecated anyway won't it?

It's hard to speculate.  I can see arguments for or against keeping the ASIO input If a hypothetical WDM driver materializes. ASIO has some desirable features as an interface (low-latency, etc.) that may justify line-in's continued existence. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 03:23:39 pm »

well it does work with ASIO client inbetween, seems a bit jittery/noisy though so some further fiddling with settings looks likely to be required to get it working smoothly

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:17:25 am »

I believe I have this working now. After much headscratching it seems that added WDM devices to the fireface settings were the magic setting. I have no idea why this would be so but there you go.

My config is;

- installed steinberg asio multiclient (ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Hardware/ASIO_multiclient_driver/asiomulti.msi)
- added 6 WDM devices to cover the 1st 12 channels (totalmix-settings.png)
- set SPDIF L and R as loopback devices in totalmixfx (totalmixfx-routing.png)
- opened asio line in in JRiver using channels = 2 and channel offset = 10 (as spdif are channels 11 and 12)
- confirmed it works ok by sending a test signal from REW to channel 11 and checking that JRiver sees that as channel 1 (and processes accordingly)

I then set the SPDIF WDM device as the default playback device in windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up