INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antiskip feature similiar to CD Players?  (Read 1443 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Antiskip feature similiar to CD Players?
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »

had a friend over today, and they thought of a great idea for JRiver. An antiskip feature similiar to cd players...

Today i had to reboot the server cause i was troubleshooting version 20 & 19's startup setting. "Run on windows start" was not sticking until i rebooted the server, even though i was force killing 19 and 20 but "Nothing" always showed up. A reboot seems to have fixed this.

Anywho, My friend was in theater room watching some Top Gear, and i told him the HTPC /your show may glitch... i have to reboot server.  Then he mentioned the antiskip feature he used when skateboarding "I always looked for a 120 antiskip before purchasing my cd players"  Would it be possible for JRiver to send all audio video images to each client 10-20 minutes past what has been watched, listened to? By doing so streaming would never go down for any device unless of course power failure.

I'm aware a server isn't meant to be rebooted, but would be a neat feature. (especially for those who use the personal computer to hold there libraries.) I guess it would be similar to the cache type system you guys use for gizmo songs, perhaps this could be built upon for all clients files streamed/called upon?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Antiskip feature similiar to CD Players?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:09:32 pm »

You could enable playback from memory, and then the entire file will be read into memory as fast as possible at the start.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:18 pm »

You could enable playback from memory, and then the entire file will be read into memory as fast as possible at the start.
Memory Playback in Media Center only applies to audio, not video.
And since MC19, it has no longer cached the file in memory, only up to 1GB of uncompressed audio - which is often only part of the currently playing track.

Network interruption can stop the currently playing track in the middle of playback, or at best, at the end of the currently playing track.
Caching more than one music track in memory (caching 1GB of files, rather than a 1GB cache of uncompressed audio) and keeping a local cache of video being streamed over the network would be a big improvement.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:39:15 am »

Memory Playback in Media Center only applies to audio, not video.
And since MC19, it has no longer cached the file in memory, only up to 1GB of uncompressed audio - which is often only part of the currently playing track.

Network interruption can stop the currently playing track in the middle of playback, or at best, at the end of the currently playing track.
Caching more than one music track in memory (caching 1GB of files, rather than a 1GB cache of uncompressed audio) and keeping a local cache of video being streamed over the network would be a big improvement.

I would add that I'd only want this 'feature' if I was streaming inside my LAN. It could potentially use a lot of unnecessary bandwidth across the net.
Pages: [1]   Go Up