INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mobile device control of MC, sync with iTunes/Android, whole house audio  (Read 1398 times)

Kremlar

• Recent member

Hi -

Looking to upgrade my MC to the latest version and start utilizing it more.  Sorry for the newb questions, I'm reading through the forums but thought it would be best to post some questions as well to summarize my thoughts and hopefully some responses will point me in the right direction.

I currently use JRiver Media Center 16 on a server installed in a rack.  The server has a multi output audio card, so I have 4 zones setup in MC.  All zones output to a Russound CAV66 whole house audio system.  I'm able to control playback using my Russound keypads installed in each room using a program called cav66.exe which sends/receives information between MC and my Russound CAV66.  This allows me to display track info on the Russound keypads, gives me track control, I can select playlists, etc.

There are a few issues with my setup that I'd like to resolve:

1 - Since the server lives strictly in my rack, I rarely ever log into it - it's not convenient to do so.  Because of that maintaining the playlists, importing new music, etc., is done very infrequently.  So, I need to have a more accessible way to add music and update playlists.  The music is stored on a shared network drive, so adding music to the folder is not an issue - using MC to import the music and setup playlists is.  Can MC be installed on multiple PCs, all sharing the same library on a network drive, so I can manage my music from my main PC?

2 - I currently use iTunes to manage my music, and an application to sync that music to my Android phone (Nexus 5).  I don't have a lot of playlists setup yet, but I'd like to start spending time on that soon.  Even if I could run MC from my main PC, I don't want to manage my music twice.  Is there a good way to sync music and playlists to my Android phone?  If not, is there an easy way to sync between MC and iTunes?

3 - Playback controls using the keypads is nice, but nowadays phone or tablet would be SO much easier.  What's the best way to control MC playback through a mobile device?  I'd like to be able to choose tracks, choose playlists, etc.  Simple control with limited functionality would be better than full control using a complex interface.  I want quick control during parties, etc...

Hope I'm barking up the right tree.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

All of your questions have very straightforward answers.

1. Yes. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

2. Yes. Drop iTunes and just use MC to sync to your Nexus 5 (I own the same phone). http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Transfer_Files_to_your_Handheld/Portable_Device

3. Yes. Check out Gizmo in the Google Play Store. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
Pages: [1]   Go Up