INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20.0.10 Install does not detect MC19 installation [addressed]  (Read 1435 times)

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,

Originally posted this in the MC 20.0.10 release section, however it was removed.

I have upgraded from MC19 to MC20.  No issue on a PC running Win7 x64, but have issues with a PC running Win 8.1 x64.

The Win 8.1 x64 PC has a licenced version of MC19.  When installing MC20.0.10, the MC19 installation isn't detected, resulting in a new installation.  The Media library and configuration for each zone are lost.  I have tried the MC20 installation a couple of times & get the same result.  MC 19 remains OK

The MC20 installation on the problematic PC is being performed for a user without administration rights.  During the install admin credentials are provided and the installation completes successfully (just doesn't pick up the MC19 library).  MC19 was the 1st MC version installed on this PC, so this is the first time I've installed a new major release on the machine (has done several MC19 minor releases)

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

thanks,

Steve

edited Subject line to indicate fixed

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC20.0.10 Install does not detect MC19 installation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:39:03 pm »

It's normal for the install to be separate.  The installer will copy registry settings from v19 to v20.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »

The install normally migrates most settings over, and makes a copy of the active library on the old install for the new copy.  However, if this doesn't work (or if you want some of the settings that aren't migrated, like your list of added Libraries, for example) open MC19 and make a Library Backup of a local Library.  Then, switch back to MC20 and restore the Library, including Settings.

Done.

The issue is probably installing on the user account the way you did.  When you run as another user, you run as that user, so to the Installer, you weren't the user active on the system, you were the Admin user, so it saw that shell and user profile.  So, it didn't see that user's settings and Library, but the (probably non-existent) ones of the Admin user.  Another tip, you may need to run MC20 itself as an admin user at least once (though this may have happened after installation) so that it can register its COM library.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:58:35 pm »

Great info !!
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

dean70

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:59 pm »

Yes I have noticed as well - it did not copy the library from v19 (had to manually export, then import into v20). The first thing the v20 install does is UAC prompt for Administrator, so the user settings migration would not work.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:48:42 pm »

Apologies for the delay responding

glynor - thanks for the explanation and advice. Back-up & restore of the MC19 library addressed the issues

cheers,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up