INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Not Preventing System Sleep During Audio-Only Play on Windows 8.1 Tablet  (Read 4107 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!

During audio-only playback, MC cannot seem to keep my ACER W510 Win 8.1 tablet from going to sleep. I must set the "plugged-in" power option to "Sleep=Never". However, this is not viable, because, e.g., I walk away while a playlist is playing, come back three days later, and find my tablet display still on!

I believe they were mucking around with this same issue over in "foobar2000"-land a few months ago. Something about how the code to prevent sleep during such-n-such a thread/operation on a tablet is fundamentally different from the code used for desktops (?) and simply needs to be implemented.

MC does, of course, prevent sleep during play on all 3 of my other Win 8.1 desktops.

Note that under Win 8.1 on a tablet, display sleep and system sleep are one and the same, meaning, you can't turn off the display without sleeping the system.

THANKS!
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

When we're playing, we SetThreadExecutionState with ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED.

Shouldn't that keep the machine awake?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

During audio-only playback, MC cannot seem to keep my ACER W510 Win 8.1 tablet from going to sleep. I must set the "plugged-in" power option to "Sleep=Never". However, this is not viable, because, e.g., I walk away while a playlist is playing, come back three days later, and find my tablet display still on!

I believe they were mucking around with this same issue over in "foobar2000"-land a few months ago. Something about how the code to prevent sleep during such-n-such a thread/operation on a tablet is fundamentally different from the code used for desktops (?) and simply needs to be implemented.

MC does, of course, prevent sleep during play on all 3 of my other Win 8.1 desktops.

Note that under Win 8.1 on a tablet, display sleep and system sleep are one and the same, meaning, you can't turn off the display without sleeping the system.

THANKS!

You don't mention it, but I assume you tried enabling the "disable display from turning off during playback" option?

AUser

• Junior Woodchuck

AFAIK it's connected standby - it'll power off the tablet when the display's off after a certain time

Similar problem
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/6c135adb-7993-4691-b700-bd463ed8816c/windows-8-connected-standby-vs-desktop-audio-player-application?forum=windowssdk

DAM will kill an app after 5 mins if it's only using execution required
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23398950/any-api-to-prevent-windows-8-from-going-into-connected-standby-mode/23424457#23424457

[edit]
A bit more from Intel
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimizing-windows-8-applications-for-connected-standby
When the display is turned off on connected standby capable systems, all running software (including applications and operating system software) become subject to a new set of activity restrictions. Windows Desktop Activity Moderator (DAM) suppresses legacy app execution in a manner similar to the Sleep state. It does this by suspending all applications in the user session and throttling all 3rd party services to create predictable power usage over the period of idle time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I think you may have missed my post; MC has an option to prevent the screen from turning off to begin with, which would potentially short circuit your suspend issue; does that work at all?

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!

Thanks!

Problem solved: the setting at Options > Audio > Settings > "disable display from turning off" ... does indeed solve this issue.

<blush> I could swear I tested that in the past, but it seems to work just as described, and "short circuits" the tablet/display sleep issue.

Apologies for the silly concern, and kind regards.  :P
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Aces, glad to hear it worked!
Pages: [1]   Go Up