INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370353 times)

Pegasus59

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2015, 11:43:43 pm »

A couple of questions:

...snip

3) Can the power supply be upgraded, or is the switching module more than adequate for the spinning drive ID units.

I use  Keece DC-116 single output 6a power supply with my Id. http://www.keces.com.tw/5_english/index_5_english.htm
It provides a significant increase to the audio quality.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #551 on: March 17, 2015, 12:02:47 am »

I have been following the posts regarding the latest beta software developments for the Id.
Will the changes to modify how the Id "sees" a NAS fix the following problems:

1. Increasing the screen font size (important for us old guys with deteriorating eyesight).
In my Windows MC version (20.0.80) I can increase the screen font size through Tools - Options - Tree & View - Select Font - Font/Font Style/Size.
However, in the Id (MC 20.0.64) the last font option is missing. One is only presented with the option of Lucida or Unifont, with no size change available.

2. Importing (updating files).
The Id only looks to it's own SSD to import files, not the NAS. I find I have to clear the NAS library and re-import the updated library. This same occurs when updating the NAS library in the Windows MC20 9as opposed to the main library).

3. Adding Artist/Album view in audio. Unfortunately, clearing the NAS library on the Id wipes this view out andI have to re-install it every time I update the Id library.

4. The Windows main library and the NAS library (on both my Windows PC & the Id) treat the album & artists details differently, especially in compilation type albums.
The Windows main library tends to keep the compilation (greatest hits etc) together, but the NAS library splits them into individual artists. All libraries get their data from the one Netgear NAS.

If not, any suggestions on what settings I can change to alleviates these problems?

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #552 on: March 17, 2015, 12:24:55 am »

I got the JRiver updated to the latest Beta release and successfully mounted the NAS.

I have a problem. I have some DSD tracks. I am able to play DSD files but the connected Audio-gd DAC shows that the track is decoded as PCM rather than DSD.

DSP settings:
- output Encoding is "none"
- sampling on all frequencies are set to "no change"

Thanks for the help.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
USB Drive Format
« Reply #553 on: March 17, 2015, 09:02:49 am »

Is there a recommended format scheme for the external 2TB drive to be connected via the USB 3 port on the
Id? I will be transferring my music later today, and I'd like to get the best possible setup before I stary copying everything.

Happy St Patrick's Day from Ireland. :)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #554 on: March 17, 2015, 09:54:00 am »

I have been following the posts regarding the latest beta software developments for the Id.
Will the changes to modify how the Id "sees" a NAS fix the following problems:

1. Increasing the screen font size (important for us old guys with deteriorating eyesight).
In my Windows MC version (20.0.80) I can increase the screen font size through Tools - Options - Tree & View - Select Font - Font/Font Style/Size.
However, in the Id (MC 20.0.64) the last font option is missing. One is only presented with the option of Lucida or Unifont, with no size change available.
Good point. The font structures are totally different on linux and we've not had a lot of time to devote to that yet.
The user defined font string can be used to bring in a larger font.
Choose "User Defined" as the font and then as the user defined font string use something like:
lucidasans-14
This one looks pretty good too:
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-14-140-75-75-p-81-iso10646-1
2. Importing (updating files).
The Id only looks to it's own SSD to import files, not the NAS. I find I have to clear the NAS library and re-import the updated library. This same occurs when updating the NAS library in the Windows MC20 9as opposed to the main library).
The beta firmware adds a menu to control external media, by allowing mounting of NAS and attached USB drives. You can add the location those are mounted to the auto-import locations in MC.
3. Adding Artist/Album view in audio. Unfortunately, clearing the NAS library on the Id wipes this view out and I have to re-install it every time I update the Id library.

4. The Windows main library and the NAS library (on both my Windows PC & the Id) treat the album & artists details differently, especially in compilation type albums.
The Windows main library tends to keep the compilation (greatest hits etc) together, but the NAS library splits them into individual artists. All libraries get their data from the one Netgear NAS.

If not, any suggestions on what settings I can change to alleviates these problems?
These last 2 issues should go away when you mount the NAS directly instead of as a DLNA server.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #555 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:38 am »

I got the JRiver updated to the latest Beta release and successfully mounted the NAS.

I have a problem. I have some DSD tracks. I am able to play DSD files but connect Audio-gd DAC shows that the track is decoded as PCM rather than DSD.

DSP settings:
- output Encoding is "none"
- sampling on all frequencies are set to "no change"

Thanks for the help.
With an attached USB Dac that supports DoPE, You need to turn on bitstreaming in the Audio options.
Note that the only device we know for certain that works with this is the Mytek Stereo DSD-192.
The current standard linux kernels do not support DSD thats not DoPE wrapped.

bob

• Administrator
Re: USB Drive Format
« Reply #556 on: March 17, 2015, 09:58:53 am »

Is there a recommended format scheme for the external 2TB drive to be connected via the USB 3 port on the
Id? I will be transferring my music later today, and I'd like to get the best possible setup before I start copying everything.

Happy St Patrick's Day from Ireland. :)
If you are ONLY going to be using it on the Id I suppose it could make sense to make it an ext4 filesystem to get the journaling support in case you lose power otherwise you could just use ntfs like all of the pre-formatted ones use.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
Re: USB Drive Format
« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2015, 11:42:00 am »

If you are ONLY going to be using it on the Id I suppose it could make sense to make it an ext4 filesystem to get the journaling support in case you lose power otherwise you could just use ntfs like all of the pre-formatted ones use.

Thanks, Bob. Power losses are guaranteed, because the device is in an AV cabinet, which does not get the same level of love and care as a computer would. I'll go with ext4, thanks for the suggestion. I think Mac OS X can support it, too, so copying the files should be relatively easy, the very first time I need to do it. On the other hand, perhaps I'll copy the 200 GB or so over the network anyway.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2015, 12:44:54 pm »

Run into an issue. To format the drive as ext4 I need a Linux box. I assumed that I could get a console in GUI mode of Id, but I cannot find it. Is there a way to launch a shell of any kind on the Id so as to issue the fdisk and ext4 commands?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2015, 01:20:19 pm »

Run into an issue. To format the drive as ext4 I need a Linux box. I assumed that I could get a console in GUI mode of Id, but I cannot find it. Is there a way to launch a shell of any kind on the Id so as to issue the fdisk and ext4 commands?
No there isn't a way to format it ext4 directly on the Id.
One way is to boot one of the live linux CD's/USB sticks.
There is a program called minitool partition wizard free 9.0 for windows that can supposedly do it as well.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »

No there isn't a way to format it ext4 directly on the Id.
One way is to boot one of the live linux CD's/USB sticks.
There is a program called minitool partition wizard free 9.0 for windows that can supposedly do it as well.

Just downloaded CentOS 7 LiveCD, thanks for the suggestion, should be easier than installing a full VM. Good luck with the Beta 10 upload.

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:50 am »

With an attached USB Dac that supports DoPE, You need to turn on bitstreaming in the Audio options.
Note that the only device we know for certain that works with this is the Mytek Stereo DSD-192.
The current standard linux kernels do not support DSD thats not DoPE wrapped.

I tried that and DAC still shows PCM. Seems like I have to live with PCM then.

I have another issue with this JRiver ID and DAC combo. I am experiencing no output from there DAC on irregular basis. Sometimes it happens after many tracks. Sometimes is happens in the middle of the 1st track I play. Stopping and starting the track again normally solves the problem. How do I get rid of this pausing/silence? Gizmo shows the track is still playing but there's no signal coming out from the DAC.

Should I increase the buffer size? Currently the buffers are at default. I think the default figures are 500000 and 100000. This figures are in microseconds in this Linux version?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2015, 10:10:50 am »

I tried that and DAC still shows PCM. Seems like I have to live with PCM then.

I have another issue with this JRiver ID and DAC combo. I am experiencing no output from there DAC on irregular basis. Sometimes it happens after many tracks. Sometimes is happens in the middle of the 1st track I play. Stopping and starting the track again normally solves the problem. How do I get rid of this pausing/silence? Gizmo shows the track is still playing but there's no signal coming out from the DAC.

Should I increase the buffer size? Currently the buffers are at default. I think the default figures are 500000 and 100000. This figures are in microseconds in this Linux version?

You are correct, the figures are in microseconds. You could try bumping them up.
Since it sounds like your DAC doesn't support DoPE you should probably turn off bitstreaming.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #563 on: March 20, 2015, 11:39:49 pm »

Gizmo won't connect to Id's Library  when using Id as PC/server. Any ideas as to why? I can connect to Id's library and control audio playback with Bubbleupnp app however.   I've verified correct access key entered in Gizmo.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #564 on: March 21, 2015, 07:29:24 am »

Gizmo instructions are on the wiki. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #565 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:56 am »

Gizmo won't connect to Id's Library  when using Id as PC/server. Any ideas as to why? I can connect to Id's library and control audio playback with Bubbleupnp app however.   I've verified correct access key entered in Gizmo.
Some of the Id's escaped with duplicate access keys, try resetting it and getting a new one.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #566 on: March 21, 2015, 10:25:18 am »

Some of the Id's escaped with duplicate access keys, try resetting it and getting a new one.

You can do that under Options > Media Network. 

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #567 on: March 21, 2015, 02:22:42 pm »

Thanks. That worked. I reset the access key then deleted the 2 pre-configured DLNA servers and then added a Generic DLNA server.

johnboy1987

« Reply #568 on: March 22, 2015, 03:44:16 am »

How do I get the text menu to come up when I'm in the GUI? I have done it before but for the life of me cannot remember how I did it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: March 22, 2015, 07:00:19 am »

Move the MC window.  Alt Tab, too, I think.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #570 on: March 23, 2015, 05:10:22 pm »

Also, if you look across the bottom of the screen, you will probably see a taskbar with 4 main regions: "Workspace 1", the date/time, "JRiver Media Center 20", and "mainmenu". Just click where it says "mainmenu".

The taskbar is really plain, so it is easy not to recognize it as an actual taskbar. ;)

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #571 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »

It should work with that DAC.

If you're only intending to use the Id as a Renderer (playing to it from another device), then the smaller drive will work.  If you want to also use it as a server, you will need a bigger drive.

Hi Jim, received my Id202 yesterday, and got it working via HDMI no problem.  Looks like my DAC (base version Wyred4Sound DAC-2) doesn't support Linux (the DSD version appears to).  Tried all of the options via the WebRemote menu to no avail.  Would employing a USB to SDPIF converter solve my problem and allow connection from the Id USB output?  I am looking at the one in the link below which supports Linux and is driverless.  I prefer to have the USB option available, since the DAC-2 has a better clock than the Yamaha AVR I'm using.  Thank you.  

https://wyred4sound.com/products/dacs-converters/%C2%B5link

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #572 on: March 24, 2015, 12:22:15 pm »

It doesn't work if you connect via USB?  I see it has a USB port.

The option "front" something on the Id's menu will use the front USB port.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #573 on: March 24, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »

The problem is that the non-DSD version of the W4S DAC-2 does not support USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2) natively, whereas the DSD versions of it do. You can tell by looking at the spec sheets, because the non-DSD version requires proprietary drivers for Mac OS 10.4-10.9, whereas the DSD versions feature "USB 2.0 compliancy & ASIO 2.2 (Driverless support for Mac and Linux systems)". Mac OS has had native support for UAC2 since Mac OS 10.6.4, and so does the Linux kernel used by the Id.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/dacs/dac-2-series

On the other hand, the USB to SPDIF adapter should work: :)  Quoting from page 2 of the µLINK manual:

"Derived from the latest asynchronous XMOS design, the μDAC-HD is certified USB 2.0 High Speed as well as Audio Class 2.0 compliant. A quick driver install is required for PC machines; however, it remains driverless for Mac (10.6.4 and above) and Linux systems."

https://wyred4sound.com/sites/default/files/%C2%B5LINK%20-%20%C2%B5DAC-HD%20MANUAL%20V1.1_0.pdf

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: March 24, 2015, 02:09:43 pm »

The only references I've seen to native DSD ALSA support require bleeding edge kernels and references to the ALSA DSD format that MediaCenter doesn't currently do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #575 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:42 pm »

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #576 on: March 24, 2015, 04:27:06 pm »

This driver may work:
https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/wiki
That is the HiFace driver, it's already in the existing Id builds.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #577 on: March 24, 2015, 04:33:08 pm »

The ID OTA (live update) is up.

You can get it by doing menu item 12 from your Id menu.

This is an extensive update and it's large (about 30 megs). If you have an older Id that hasn't been updated yet the process will be silent. Give it some time, maybe 30 minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection.

It includes the new menu for handling attached USB drives and for attaching network shares and well as kernel and driver updates.

Before installing this, make a backup of your library!
You can backup your library to the export filesystem directory.

You should also be ready to reinstall the Id firmware if something goes wrong. The last beta firmware is the same as the firmware used in this update, it's at:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95314.msg656625#msg656625

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #578 on: March 24, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »

That is the HiFace driver, it's already in the existing Id builds.

Dear Bob and Jim,

I updated the firmware after Bob posted the update being available this afternoon.  I also contacted W4S and downloaded a driver for my PC that's Win7 compatible.  Two things occurred - the Id as a server registered, and as a renderer, the USB began functioning using sysdefault: CARD (both Young and PCH seem to work).  Not sure if it's the firmware update, the W4S DAC-2 (non DSD) PC driver download, or the tooth fairy that got it working, but I'm happy nonetheless.   Really appreciate your help.    ;D

Now that the Id works as a renderer, is there a link, or support specific instruction thread on how to move music files onto the Id 202 HDD. 

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #579 on: March 25, 2015, 03:49:01 am »

Is there a way to run the Id headless and still be able to have access to the main menu without connecting a monitor? E.g. How can I add a network drive or upgrade the software without a monitor attached?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #580 on: March 25, 2015, 04:04:25 am »

Now that the Id works as a renderer, is there a link, or support specific instruction thread on how to move music files onto the Id 202 HDD.  

This worked for me:

(Open) Windows Explorer>>Network>>Computer>>Id>>media

Move or copy your music files to the "media" folder.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #581 on: March 25, 2015, 07:18:53 am »

Is there a way to run the Id headless and still be able to have access to the main menu without connecting a monitor?
Not at this time.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #582 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:15 am »

This worked for me:

(Open) Windows Explorer>>Network>>Computer>>Id>>media

Move or copy your music files to the "media" folder.

I did this too, but had problems with the ordering of tracks.  Ended up resetting to factory and am hoping someone could provide a thread on how to do a direct library copy onto the Id 202 drive.  

I don't want to add, and delete a bunch of tracks to the Id 202 using a trial and error process.   I took the Id out of the audio rack and will work on it next to the PC.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #583 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:54 pm »

I did this too, but had problems with the ordering of tracks.  Ended up resetting to factory and am hoping someone could provide a thread on how to do a direct library copy onto the Id 202 drive.  

I don't want to add, and delete a bunch of tracks to the Id 202 using a trial and error process.   I took the Id out of the audio rack and will work on it next to the PC.

Allow me to rephrase:  Is there a way to direct copy my MAIN LIBRARY within JRiver to the Id LIbrary within JRiver.  I can clone my Library, but can't seem to figure out how to drop it into the Id Library on my PC.  When I download the flac files direct to the Id media subdirectory, most of my files go into an unassigned folder, and not specific to the album and artist. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #584 on: March 26, 2015, 05:44:52 pm »

Allow me to rephrase:  Is there a way to direct copy my MAIN LIBRARY within JRiver to the Id LIbrary within JRiver.  I can clone my Library, but can't seem to figure out how to drop it into the Id Library on my PC.  When I download the flac files direct to the Id media subdirectory, most of my files go into an unassigned folder, and not specific to the album and artist. 

There are two issues here:
q) Can you use a library from windows on the Id?
a) Getting the library over to the Id can be done by simply copying the library file onto the Id's export partition then importing it in MC on the Id. However I don't believe you can use it on the Id, the paths are different and incompatible and there are differences in allowed characters in Windows vs Linux. There are some people who have tried to do this with the move, rename ... function by changing the base path and separators I don't know if they were successful or not, I suspect not.

q) The files go into the unassigned folder.
a) You can fix this by simply updating all of the file tags from the library function in MC. Of course this won't do you any good if you don't want MC writing the tags.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #585 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:03 am »

With the music on the NAS, where should I have the library files: with the processor on Id, or with the music on the NAS?

Thanks!

Hilton

« Reply #586 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:12 am »

With the music on the NAS, where should I have the library files: with the processor on Id, or with the music on the NAS?

Thanks!

Library local on the Id so it's faster to browse.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #587 on: March 27, 2015, 07:37:57 am »

Video Questions:

With the latest stable version installed, and the following config, I have video *almost* working perfectly. (grin)

I am not the best person to traverse the complexities of video, so I really suspect operator error here. I just hope not too embarassing!

1. ID has a static address and is connected via UTP to the network.
2. "GUI" is selected
3. ID is connected via HDMI to a port on our AVR, displays okay, has no trouble displaying even when the ID is not selected on the AVR, or after the AVR has been in standby.
4. Video is stored on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit machine, running MC v20, latest release.
5. Video is stored as VOB files, complete DVD including subtitles and non-english tracks where such were on the disk.
6. JRemote connected to the Win7 machine, with ID HDMI zone selected as the output zone.

Playing most video works just fine, and looks pretty darn good. But in some cases, there is no audio. Also, I sure cannot find how to bring up the Subtitles when I want them. Not sure I know how to do that even from MC console in Windows.

Have also tried connecting to ID with JRemote and playing video from local disk with about the same results. Found that JRemote "remote" menu did not work.

Interesting enough, though perhaps not relevant, allowing the BluRay player to stream from the same MC Win7 instance, we will sometimes get the subtitles with no audio! (Sony BDS6200). All very confusing. :)

Audio by itself plays great however, either over the HDMI, or to a second zone attaches to a USB DAC.

Pointers, anyone?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #588 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:52 am »

Video Questions:

With the latest stable version installed, and the following config, I have video *almost* working perfectly. (grin)

I am not the best person to traverse the complexities of video, so I really suspect operator error here. I just hope not too embarassing!

1. ID has a static address and is connected via UTP to the network.
2. "GUI" is selected
3. ID is connected via HDMI to a port on our AVR, displays okay, has no trouble displaying even when the ID is not selected on the AVR, or after the AVR has been in standby.
4. Video is stored on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit machine, running MC v20, latest release.
5. Video is stored as VOB files, complete DVD including subtitles and non-english tracks where such were on the disk.
6. JRemote connected to the Win7 machine, with ID HDMI zone selected as the output zone.

Playing most video works just fine, and looks pretty darn good. But in some cases, there is no audio. Also, I sure cannot find how to bring up the Subtitles when I want them. Not sure I know how to do that even from MC console in Windows.

Have also tried connecting to ID with JRemote and playing video from local disk with about the same results. Found that JRemote "remote" menu did not work.

Interesting enough, though perhaps not relevant, allowing the BluRay player to stream from the same MC Win7 instance, we will sometimes get the subtitles with no audio! (Sony BDS6200). All very confusing. :)

Audio by itself plays great however, either over the HDMI, or to a second zone attaches to a USB DAC.

Pointers, anyone?
Video support on the Id is still pretty recent.
There are some formats that can cause trouble.
The fact that you can't play some of them from the local disk indicates that there is still work to be done on MC video decoding on the Id.
Can you tell us specifically what formats don't work?
There is a field in the database called "compression". You can see what MC thinks of the file by looking at that.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #589 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:43 am »

There are two issues here:
q) Can you use a library from windows on the Id?
a) Getting the library over to the Id can be done by simply copying the library file onto the Id's export partition then importing it in MC on the Id. However I don't believe you can use it on the Id, the paths are different and incompatible and there are differences in allowed characters in Windows vs Linux. There are some people who have tried to do this with the move, rename ... function by changing the base path and separators I don't know if they were successful or not, I suspect not.

q) The files go into the unassigned folder.
a) You can fix this by simply updating all of the file tags from the library function in MC. Of course this won't do you any good if you don't want MC writing the tags.

Thanks.  Was hoping to avoid the re-tagging process.  Loaded the library on to the Id in the Media directory as was previously suggested, and will re-tag with the help of Library Manager. 

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #590 on: March 27, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »

How do I sync the Id internal hard drive to the MC 20 program on Windows. I am having trouble syncing the two after tagging the library.  I am tagging all of the unassigned flac files and trying to organize, but can't get the Id hard drive to accept the changes.  The Id has been set to read write.   When I try to sync the library, I get a message that only authenticated servers are available and to go to Options Media Network.  My default system key is different than the Id access key.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: March 27, 2015, 05:35:46 pm »

How do I sync the Id internal hard drive to the MC 20 program on Windows. I am having trouble syncing the two after tagging the library.  I am tagging all of the unassigned flac files and trying to organize, but can't get the Id hard drive to accept the changes.  The Id has been set to read write.   When I try to sync the library, I get a message that only authenticated servers are available and to go to Options Media Network.  My default system key is different than the Id access key.
You are trying to use library server to sync the file changes from windows to the Id?
I've never tried that. If you do, assuming you are connecting to the Id with Windows as the client, you need to setup authentication on the Id under Media Network.
A non-authenticated client can only read the server not write it.

I figured the approach you would take would be that you'd tag the files on the windows machine and copy them back over to the Id.
Some people have also setup the Id share as a virtual handheld device in Media Center and done a sync that way.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #592 on: March 27, 2015, 07:01:15 pm »

You are trying to use library server to sync the file changes from windows to the Id?
I've never tried that. If you do, assuming you are connecting to the Id with Windows as the client, you need to setup authentication on the Id under Media Network.
A non-authenticated client can only read the server not write it.

I figured the approach you would take would be that you'd tag the files on the windows machine and copy them back over to the Id.
Some people have also setup the Id share as a virtual handheld device in Media Center and done a sync that way.

Hi Bob, thanks for answering my questions.  I have a fully tagged library that is my main library for MC PC 20 on the C drive of my PC.  I can't figure out how to transfer that MAIN Library to the Id (as a server, I can get there as a renderer).  I copied my flac library from windows to the Id (took all night) and only some items showed up tagged and in album/artist form  (mostly the newer stuff).  I tried to update the tags in MC20 on my PC and sync the library.  Won't work - returns with an error message.  I can access the files via JRemote, but can't update or change the tags.  I have a 7000 track unassigned file.  Can I assign the Id as a handheld, and transfer the files into the ID hard drive that way.  I can use the ID as a renderer, but not as a server - it's not working out as I had expected.   As a renderer, I would have gone the SSD route, but thought the larger HDD would store the files locally.  Been tinkering with the device several days, and I'm kinda stuck.

PS:  I have authentication setup on the PC, but not sure how to do that to match the access code on the Id.  The access keys for the PC and Id are different.  Is there a way to go into the Id to match the access keys?

Authentication was setup only in my effort to get the Id going, didn't have it setup before.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #593 on: March 28, 2015, 09:56:33 am »

Video support on the Id is still pretty recent.
There are some formats that can cause trouble.
The fact that you can't play some of them from the local disk indicates that there is still work to be done on MC video decoding on the Id.
Can you tell us specifically what formats don't work?
There is a field in the database called "compression". You can see what MC thinks of the file by looking at that.

Well, it is a VOB folder, but for the life of ne, I cannot figure out where to find this compression field you are talking about... sorry to be stupid on that.  Can you point me where to find it?

Thanks- Paul

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: March 28, 2015, 10:08:50 am »

Hi Bob, thanks for answering my questions.  I have a fully tagged library that is my main library for MC PC 20 on the C drive of my PC.  I can't figure out how to transfer that MAIN Library to the Id (as a server, I can get there as a renderer).  I copied my flac library from windows to the Id (took all night) and only some items showed up tagged and in album/artist form  (mostly the newer stuff).  I tried to update the tags in MC20 on my PC and sync the library.  Won't work - returns with an error message.  I can access the files via JRemote, but can't update or change the tags.  I have a 7000 track unassigned file.  Can I assign the Id as a handheld, and transfer the files into the ID hard drive that way.  I can use the ID as a renderer, but not as a server - it's not working out as I had expected.   As a renderer, I would have gone the SSD route, but thought the larger HDD would store the files locally.  Been tinkering with the device several days, and I'm kinda stuck.

PS:  I have authentication setup on the PC, but not sure how to do that to match the access code on the Id.  The access keys for the PC and Id are different.  Is there a way to go into the Id to match the access keys?

Authentication was setup only in my effort to get the Id going, didn't have it setup before.
Hi Emovac1,

I think we need to start with some background information.
There are 2 pieces we are dealing with here.
1) The library. This is a relatively small database of all of the characteristics (album, artist, etc) of all of the files (music, image and video) in your MC.
2) The files themselves. These files may or may not (in the file tags) have the same information in them that are stored in the library database.

In your case we can assume that the majority of the files do not have the information stored in their tags. If they did, when you imported them on the Id all of the information in the tags would get put into the database and everything would be sorted properly.

So our task is to either
1) Update the tags in all of the files on your windows PC, clear the Id library, move the files to the Id again and re-import them on the Id.
2) Find a way to use the library database on the Id.

I don't think option 2 is available at this time because of the path and character translation issues I mentioned before.

Option 1 is relatively easy as long as you don't mind MC updating tags in your flac files. If this worries you, make a backup of the files first.
On the Windows MC you can just select all of the files (Audio->Files->All, click on one, hit control-a. they will all be highlighted)
Then on the highlighted file list:
right-click->Library Tools->Update tags from library
This will take a while on 7000 files, depends on the speed of your PC and the speed of the storage that the files are on.

Once this is finished, the tags on the files have all of the information needed to sort properly when you copy the files to the Id and re-import them.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #595 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:48 am »

Well, it is a VOB folder, but for the life of ne, I cannot figure out where to find this compression field you are talking about... sorry to be stupid on that.  Can you point me where to find it?

Thanks- Paul

It's in the database. If you display the file details in MC there will be fields across the top that say things like name, duration, etc.
If you right-click on one of those fields you can enable others, like compression.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #596 on: March 28, 2015, 11:16:29 am »

Ah, I rarely use the MC interface, I think this is what you are asking about? 

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #597 on: March 28, 2015, 05:27:22 pm »

Hi Emovac1,

I think we need to start with some background information.
There are 2 pieces we are dealing with here.
1) The library. This is a relatively small database of all of the characteristics (album, artist, etc) of all of the files (music, image and video) in your MC.
2) The files themselves. These files may or may not (in the file tags) have the same information in them that are stored in the library database.

In your case we can assume that the majority of the files do not have the information stored in their tags. If they did, when you imported them on the Id all of the information in the tags would get put into the database and everything would be sorted properly.

So our task is to either
1) Update the tags in all of the files on your windows PC, clear the Id library, move the files to the Id again and re-import them on the Id.
2) Find a way to use the library database on the Id.

I don't think option 2 is available at this time because of the path and character translation issues I mentioned before.

Option 1 is relatively easy as long as you don't mind MC updating tags in your flac files. If this worries you, make a backup of the files first.
On the Windows MC you can just select all of the files (Audio->Files->All, click on one, hit control-a. they will all be highlighted)
Then on the highlighted file list:
right-click->Library Tools->Update tags from library
This will take a while on 7000 files, depends on the speed of your PC and the speed of the storage that the files are on.

Once this is finished, the tags on the files have all of the information needed to sort properly when you copy the files to the Id and re-import them.

I was able to sync the Id as a handheld.  Most of the tracks went over no problem.  Most of the album art, and meta data went too.  I had wrongly thought you could transplant the main library over via windows.  Maybe you can, but I couldn't figure it out.  The Handheld Id Sync with the main program works, and sounds great so far.  Therefore I can use the Id as a server and renderer.  I stumbled into the sync by just trying it.  Is there a thread describing all the functions of the program.  A glossary maybe???  Many of the pull down options in the menus have a meaning, but without testing them you take a chance screwing something up. 

Thank you kindly Bob for your continued help.  I really appreciate it.  Sure more things will come up, but for now it's working.  Sincerely, emovac1 (I'm also a Bob)

chromathegreat

• Recent member
« Reply #598 on: March 28, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »

I may have conceptually misunderstood what I was to use the id for, so any help would be appreciated.  Firstly, is there a way to use theater view with this thing?  I will be running the server from my other computer, and I thought I would just plug this thing into my tv so I could use theater view to browse around and stream from the server.  Is that going to possible, either now or at some point in the future?  When I ran the id in GUI mode, I didn't even see an option for theater view.  Additionally, when I try to use the iphone app to play some videos to the id, some of them worked, but some of them would not play.  I didn't get any error message, but they just kept skipping on to the next file until one of them would play.  Most of the files I'm trying to play are mkv, if that matters. 

Thanks,
Andrew

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #599 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »

I'm getting the id-usb kit and have a few questions:

- I want to use the id as a player that accesses the library on my main computer (with MC20).  Will I be able to do this?
- Is it better to use as a dlna renderer where my main computer pushes to the id?
- is there a difference in sound quality (i'm guessing not)?
- Is dsd via dop supported in both configurations mentioned above?

Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Up