INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370758 times)

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #700 on: June 18, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »

That is just what I needed. Thanks for responding so quickly.

The Id appears to be working correctly and I will play with it some more to be sure.

Still cannot use Remote Desktop to access the Id. Is that working yet, or are my attempts premature.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #701 on: June 18, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »

That is just what I needed. Thanks for responding so quickly.

The Id appears to be working correctly and I will play with it some more to be sure.

Still cannot use Remote Desktop to access the Id. Is that working yet, or are my attempts premature.
With the current OTA update or the repair firmware the remote desktop should be working.

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #702 on: June 18, 2015, 05:36:29 pm »

With the current OTA update or the repair firmware the remote desktop should be working.

I ran "Remote Desktop" on my  PC and I got to the "Login to xrdp" menu. It asked me for a password for the "Active Local Login" module, which I don't know. So I don't know how to proceed at this point. Does that sound right?

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #703 on: June 19, 2015, 10:15:12 am »

It appears that the problem I am having with Remote Desktop is that I need credentials to log onto my NUC running MC. I didn't need any credentials to set up the unit. Can you help me with the credentials?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #704 on: June 19, 2015, 11:23:53 am »

In the text menu on the Id, you can set a password.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #705 on: June 19, 2015, 11:40:06 am »

In the text menu on the Id, you can set a password.
and the default password is remote

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #706 on: June 19, 2015, 12:40:00 pm »

and the default password is remote

That is just what I needed. Thanks for getting the remote desktop working. You guys are great.

sgclark

• Recent member
« Reply #707 on: July 13, 2015, 08:52:25 pm »

I know that the Id was designed primarily as an audio device, but since I read here that it supports video I began thinking of using it as a DLNA player for my movie collection.  Recently I ordered one for that purpose, only to find out that it doesn't support subtitles (at least, so far as I can tell: the "Subtitles" selection does not appear on the context menu when I right-click on the screen while a movie is playing, and forced subtitles, which show up as expected on my computer monitor when I test my rips with MC, likewise do not appear).  Is there any plan to support subtitles sometime in the future?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #708 on: July 13, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »

Yes, and fairly soon.  A month?

sgclark

• Recent member
« Reply #709 on: July 13, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »

You just made my day.  If I can get the Id to work as I'd like in another location for audio (separate post), I'll be ordering another soon.

Thanks!

kees1000

« Reply #710 on: July 14, 2015, 04:11:01 am »

Other tips:

- Spotify, Tidal integration?
- Client of Roonlabs?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: July 14, 2015, 06:37:57 am »

Probably not.  The record labels wouldn't be happy.

telegramjeff

« Reply #712 on: July 21, 2015, 12:59:22 am »

Hi,

I'm new to JRiver products. After reading around here, I'm considering buying an Id, and would like to understand if it'll do what I want. I'd appreciate any help, and I apologize for any dumb newbie questions and misuse of terminology!

I'll have about 4TB of ReplayGain-track-normalization-tagged FLAC and mp3 files on a Synology NAS, and I'd like to play them through my stereo without using an additional computer. I'd want the Id to play the files stored on the NAS, and send its output to a DAC connected to my stereo. I'm trying to understand how I'll be able to control and configure the Id and its Library.

1) From what I've read, I can mount the Synology NAS to MC running on the Id, and the Id will import new content from the NAS to its Library, but not copy the files to its internal drive. Is that correct? I saw a mention of using auto import to import all new content from the NAS. Would I also be able to selectively choose what content is imported?

2) I understand I can use Gizmo on Android as a remote control for MC on the Id. Could I also use WebGizmo?

3) Could I use MC running on my Mac laptop to configure the Id's Library? For example, could I use MC on my Mac to create a playlist in the Id's Library?

4) Could I use MC on my Mac to have the Id play songs from its Library to the DAC (essentially using MC on my Mac as the remote control for MC on the Id instead of Gizmo)?

5) When listening to a single album, I don't want to apply the ReplayGain track normalization tags. But when playing a playlist (which would have songs from many albums), I do want to apply the ReplayGain tags. Is this easily controlled from Gizmo?

Thanks very much!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: July 21, 2015, 06:49:08 am »

Hi,

I'm new to JRiver products. After reading around here, I'm considering buying an Id, and would like to understand if it'll do what I want. I'd appreciate any help, and I apologize for any dumb newbie questions and misuse of terminology!

I'll have about 4TB of ReplayGain-track-normalization-tagged FLAC and mp3 files on a Synology NAS, and I'd like to play them through my stereo without using an additional computer. I'd want the Id to play the files stored on the NAS, and send its output to a DAC connected to my stereo. I'm trying to understand how I'll be able to control and configure the Id and its Library.

1) From what I've read, I can mount the Synology NAS to MC running on the Id, and the Id will import new content from the NAS to its Library, but not copy the files to its internal drive. Is that correct? I saw a mention of using auto import to import all new content from the NAS. Would I also be able to selectively choose what content is imported?
That is possible.  You can set your auto import settings in MC.
2) I understand I can use Gizmo on Android as a remote control for MC on the Id. Could I also use WebGizmo?
Yes.
3) Could I use MC running on my Mac laptop to configure the Id's Library? For example, could I use MC on my Mac to create a playlist in the Id's Library?
The Id recently added support for remote desktop and so this might be possible now.
4) Could I use MC on my Mac to have the Id play songs from its Library to the DAC (essentially using MC on my Mac as the remote control for MC on the Id instead of Gizmo)?
Yes.  The wiki has a topic called Tremote.
5) When listening to a single album, I don't want to apply the ReplayGain track normalization tags. But when playing a playlist (which would have songs from many albums), I do want to apply the ReplayGain tags. Is this easily controlled from Gizmo?
You shouldn't need to switch.  Have you tried it?

telegramjeff

« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:41 pm »

The Id recently added support for remote desktop and so this might be possible now.
Remote Desktop would probably be sufficient if it's working well. But I was thinking of something along the lines of having MC on the Id and MC on my Mac use the same Library. Since they'd be using the same Library, when I made changes to the Library from MC on the Mac (e.g. creating a playlist), MC on the Id would see those changes. Is that a supported usage? Since MC on the Id would use the Library more often than MC on the Mac, I'd think it best to store the Library on the Id's drive, if MC on the Mac could access it from there--I read on the Wiki that it's important to have the Library on a fast internal drive. Or I could store the Library on the NAS. Would either of those be feasible?

You shouldn't need to switch.  Have you tried it?
I haven't tried it, since I don't yet own JRiver. These questions are to help me decide whether to purchase (which I'm hoping to do!). Will MC distinguish between playing an album vs. playing a playlist, and only apply the Replay Gain information when playing a playlist? If so, that would be great! If not, is there an easy way for me to turn Replay Gain application on and off with Gizmo (I'd turn it on when playing a playlist, and turn it off when playing an album)? I've read the Wiki on turning Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume on and off in DSP Studio, but not sure I completely understand it. Are those DSP Studio settings accessible from Gizmo?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

telegramjeff

« Reply #715 on: July 27, 2015, 01:02:16 am »

I'm still hoping to get some info on the two questions in my previous post before purchasing an Id and MC. I'm interested to know more about: (1) sharing a single Library between an Id and MC running on a Macbook, and (2) using ReplayGain tags while playing a playlist, but not using them while playing an album--can that be controlled from Gizmo? or is it done automatically? or something else? Thanks!

georgethesixth

• Recent member
« Reply #716 on: July 27, 2015, 04:10:14 am »

Could you please consider the option to offer the software as a download and burn it ourselves on a USB stick ? European custom duties are high ...  I have a fanless NUC and would like to convert to ID.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #717 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:14 pm »

Long time MC user. I am happy with my current setup other than I am unable to get gapless playback of my audio files. I am looking for the cheapest/easiest solution to rectify this. Needs to play hirez files as well as multi-channel. I would also like to continue to stream video from my computer as well.

PC to Oppo 103 via ethernet controlled with Gizmo.

Would the Id Pi Baked be the best option?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »

Long time MC user. I am happy with my current setup other than I am unable to get gapless playback of my audio files. I am looking for the cheapest/easiest solution to rectify this. Needs to play hirez files as well as multi-channel. I would also like to continue to stream video from my computer as well.

PC to Oppo 103 via ethernet controlled with Gizmo.

Would the Id Pi Baked be the best option?

The Id would be able to play gaplessly from your PC. The Pi Baked isn't in production yet.

Racedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #719 on: August 21, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »

The Id would be able to play gaplessly from your PC. The Pi Baked isn't in production yet.

Any estimate on when?

aloomens

« Reply #720 on: September 25, 2015, 08:31:43 am »

What is the status of the Id Pi (Fully Baked) and the Id Stick? Are they available for order?

The description for the Id Pi (fully backed) says it can be used from DLNA playback, and that there is no storage. Can it be used with a Micro SD card, or USB thumb drive, or something for local storage?

Can the Id Stick be used without a monitor, and with USB or Micro SD Storage?

Will they both work with USB DACs?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #721 on: January 19, 2016, 01:05:06 am »

bluescale

• Recent member
« Reply #722 on: February 02, 2016, 12:18:04 am »

I recently received my Id, and was able to get it set up without too much difficulty.  Primarily I use it to stream music from my Media Center server in the theater room.  It is  working great in that regard.  I decided to see if I can use it to stream MKVs stored in my server's library but I do not get smooth playback at all.  Audio continues uninterrupted, but the video stutters and freezes.  I thought perhaps this was a network issue, so a copied an MKV to the local hard drive.  I encounter the same problem.  Am I running up against a limitation of the Id's CPU, or is it possible something is wrong in the configuration?  

For reference, I can stream videos to my Mac as well as to any number of ipad's without issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:00 am »

I don't know, but it sounds like the CPU is not fast enough for this type of video.  It would be worth trying other types.  MC can convert on the server side.

bluescale

• Recent member
« Reply #724 on: February 02, 2016, 07:48:18 pm »

I don't know, but it sounds like the CPU is not fast enough for this type of video.  It would be worth trying other types.  MC can convert on the server side.

Thanks Jim.  I purchased Horace and Pete from Louis CK's site, and it streams just fine.  The bitrate is 3,264 Mbps.  My blu ray rips, which are full quality have a bitrate of between 20,000 and 40,000 Mbps.  I think therein lies the problem.

In the Media Network options there's a section called "Client Options (when connected to a Library Server)".  Under this there's an option for "Video Conversion."  I'm assuming this is where I need to experiment with settings.  If so, I assume I'd make the changes on the Id, and not the Media Server PC, correct?  Is there a recommended video conversion to start with or should I just experiment?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #725 on: February 02, 2016, 07:57:10 pm »

The conversion settings need to be made on the server, not on the Id.

Billrh

« Reply #726 on: February 22, 2016, 01:17:30 pm »

I'm planning to purchase the Id 202 to connect directly into my Marantz SA8004 DAC.
After reading a number posts I think I understand how the HW/SW will work but I would like to bounce off my understanding.
- I can connect the Id 202 via Tosslink optical to my Marantz SA8004.
- The Id can have hold my entire audio collection which currently comprises of about 400GB of FLAC and ALAC files. Most files are 16b/44.1khz but a few are 24b/96khz.
- The Id will run JRiver Media Server which I can control with my iPad via JRemote via 5ghz wifi.
- To initially set up the Id I'll need a monitor and keyboard, but once set up I can run the Id headless.
- When the Id powers up it will automatically start the media server.
- The SA8004 DAC can handle files up to 24b/192khz and should be playable at that level with the Id.

I currently run Media Center on my MacPro laptop and it feeds a NAD Digital Media Turner (C446) via 5ghz wifi. The C446 can only handle 16b files up to 48khz plus I'm having some dropout from the MacPro. I'm hoping that by having the Id directly connected to the SA8004 I'll not only be able to get higher sample rates and bit depth but also have zero dropouts.

Please let me know if the assumptions I've made above are correct.
Thank you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:32 pm »

I'm planning to purchase the Id 202 to connect directly into my Marantz SA8004 DAC.
After reading a number posts I think I understand how the HW/SW will work but I would like to bounce off my understanding.
- I can connect the Id 202 via Tosslink optical to my Marantz SA8004.
- The Id can have hold my entire audio collection which currently comprises of about 400GB of FLAC and ALAC files. Most files are 16b/44.1khz but a few are 24b/96khz.
- The Id will run JRiver Media Server which I can control with my iPad via JRemote via 5ghz wifi.
- To initially set up the Id I'll need a monitor and keyboard, but once set up I can run the Id headless.
- When the Id powers up it will automatically start the media server.
- The SA8004 DAC can handle files up to 24b/192khz and should be playable at that level with the Id.

I currently run Media Center on my MacPro laptop and it feeds a NAD Digital Media Turner (C446) via 5ghz wifi. The C446 can only handle 16b files up to 48khz plus I'm having some dropout from the MacPro. I'm hoping that by having the Id directly connected to the SA8004 I'll not only be able to get higher sample rates and bit depth but also have zero dropouts.

Please let me know if the assumptions I've made above are correct.
Thank you.
That all sounds correct to me.
You will have to do a small amount if tuning in DSP studio to make sure the settings match your device for all of the possible sample rates your device supports (like if you have material >192k or at a low sample rate unsupported by the device).

Ekpen

« Reply #728 on: February 28, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »

Is the Id stick (HDMI) available yet?
The info on the site has not been updated yet.
George

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #729 on: February 29, 2016, 06:58:48 am »

Not yet.

Ekpen

« Reply #730 on: February 29, 2016, 04:47:10 pm »

Not yet.

I am eagerly waiting for it to be available. I want to join the party <grin>.

Thanks.

George

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #731 on: March 24, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »

I did something silly this morning, as in I managed to format the disk in my ID. (Never mind how, it was stupid. I thought the ID was the little NUC I use as a video conferencing station... like I said, stupid...) I should have realized when I opened it and it didn't have a Crucial drive in it...

In any case, how can I restore the thingie to being an ID again? Can I download the image, or do I have to purchase a copy of it. The disk is pretty well scrubbed, as I loaded a version of Suse Linux over it. This is one of the 1st generation ones, running on a Celeron I think.

Yours,
-Paul

BradATIMA

« Reply #732 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:36 pm »

I did something silly this morning, as in I managed to format the disk in my ID. (Never mind how, it was stupid. I thought the ID was the little NUC I use as a video conferencing station... like I said, stupid...) I should have realized when I opened it and it didn't have a Crucial drive in it...

In any case, how can I restore the thingie to being an ID again? Can I download the image, or do I have to purchase a copy of it. The disk is pretty well scrubbed, as I loaded a version of Suse Linux over it. This is one of the 1st generation ones, running on a Celeron I think.

Yours,
-Paul

If you follow the instructions at the top of the page here, you should be able to restore the Id firmware.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94636.0

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #733 on: March 24, 2016, 03:50:17 pm »

If you follow the instructions at the top of the page here, you should be able to restore the Id firmware.

Will do, thanks.   -Paul

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #734 on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:09 pm »

Rats - it is telling me that I need to reinstall the filesystem - is that possible from the repair image?

If not, what do I need to obtain a copy of the filesystem to image back on this ID?

Thanks
-Paul

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #735 on: March 31, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »

Rats - it is telling me that I need to reinstall the filesystem - is that possible from the repair image?

If not, what do I need to obtain a copy of the filesystem to image back on this ID?

Thanks
-Paul

If you blew away the partition table on the internal SSD you'll need to create a new one before you run the repair. The repair image will not do that.
Use a live linux boot of your choice or a 3rd party partitioner to create a MBR partition table on the internal SSD.
Make the first partition 16 gigs type linux
Make the second partition 4 gigs and the type should be swap
Make the third partition the rest of the disk, type linux

No need to format them.
The repair stick will do the rest.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #736 on: March 31, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »

If you blew away the partition table on the internal SSD you'll need to create a new one before you run the repair. The repair image will not do that.
Use a live linux boot of your choice or a 3rd party partitioner to create a MBR partition table on the internal SSD.
Make the first partition 16 gigs type linux
Make the second partition 4 gigs and the type should be swap
Make the third partition the rest of the disk, type linux

No need to format them.
The repair stick will do the rest.

Ah- that's the bit I was missing! Thanks Bob. -Paul

johnboy1987

« Reply #737 on: April 07, 2016, 11:05:30 pm »

i like to run my jriver ID using the smart list of audio all and scrolling to find my next song. It would be awesome if you could add and option to do a "play next" option while in the playlist folder for all songs.

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #738 on: April 07, 2016, 11:38:29 pm »

Is there a squeeze lite menu option on the Id MC 20 menu?  If so, what is the path?

elee532

• Recent member
« Reply #739 on: May 16, 2016, 08:33:39 am »

Where can I find information about the latest video capabilities of the Id?

Can it support DVD and/or Blu-ray folder structures (BDMV or VIDEO_TS)?

If not, can it play MKV files? Can I browse the list of chapters in an MKV file?

Can remote playback, including MKV chapter selection, be controlled from a Windows PC or an iPad?

elee532

• Recent member
« Reply #740 on: May 20, 2016, 08:06:33 pm »

Is there a better place to get an answer to my questions? I'd like to buy an Id right away, but was hoping to get an answer to these questions first.

mjbuchanan

• Recent member

Here's the scenario:
> Ripped a DVD with JRiver MC ver21 on my Windows server
> Attempted to playback the video on the ID and received a playback error message.
> The DVD plays fine on the Windows server in MC

I have the video conversion setting on "original".

I have the latest update for ID.  Thought this would be pretty straight forward at this stage.  Any idea or hints on settings or other things I might try to get video playback working?

TIA,

Mike

bob

• Administrator

Here's the scenario:
> Ripped a DVD with JRiver MC ver21 on my Windows server
> Attempted to playback the video on the ID and received a playback error message.
> The DVD plays fine on the Windows server in MC

I have the video conversion setting on "original".

I have the latest update for ID.  Thought this would be pretty straight forward at this stage.  Any idea or hints on settings or other things I might try to get video playback working?

TIA,

Mike
The video playback on the Id isn't as sophisticated as in MC windows yet.
What format is the material (iso, mkv, etc)?

mjbuchanan

• Recent member

The video playback on the Id isn't as sophisticated as in MC windows yet.
What format is the material (iso, mkv, etc)?

JRiver ripped the DVD as a Video_TS folder.  This folder contains all the DVD info including a .VOB file which I believe is the MPEG program stream format.

This is how JRiver ripped it based on the default settings in MC21.  Do I need to do further conversion to something the ID understands or can is there a setting in JRiver (on the server or client ID) that will allow playback?
Is any of this made easier in MC22?

Basically, I think if JRiver rips (there could be a format setting for example that allows playback given current ID limitations) something it should be easily playable on the the ID.  Of course audio is no issue. 

-Mike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: June 05, 2016, 01:16:04 pm »

Did you rip on Windows?

mjbuchanan

• Recent member
« Reply #745 on: June 05, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »

mjbuchanan

• Recent member
« Reply #746 on: June 08, 2016, 03:43:58 pm »

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #747 on: June 10, 2016, 11:35:31 am »

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I don't think you can push the iso unconverted since MC doesn't have DVD structure reading functionality in linux yet.

mjbuchanan

• Recent member
« Reply #748 on: June 10, 2016, 04:32:36 pm »

I don't think you can push the iso unconverted since MC doesn't have DVD structure reading functionality in linux yet.

Thanks Bob.  Is there a setting on the server or ID side that I can set to convert?  Or do I need to convert the file outside of JRiver?  What format do you suggest I use?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:50 pm »

Thanks Bob.  Is there a setting on the server or ID side that I can set to convert?  Or do I need to convert the file outside of JRiver?  What format do you suggest I use?

I'm not a huge user of video but I would convert it to mkv on the server side.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Up