INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370386 times)

jmschnur

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #750 on: June 11, 2016, 08:07:15 pm »

Will the id load the Windows sub driver Mcintosh has for its C47 premamp USB input . If I cannot get Chromeaudio to work, I am thinking of the iD.

czrtly

• Recent member
« Reply #751 on: June 15, 2016, 04:02:07 pm »

Hi! I´m very interested in the Id, already been a JRiver user since ver. 17 I think, I have a full license on my laptop. The way I plan to use it as follow:

1. My full library of about 1Tb would be placed on the Id, which includes a lot of flacs, and alac files and some few DSD files, most of the library has been riped from CD´s, there are some 96/24 and higher res downloads. This would be connected via USB to a Bifrost Multibit DAC.
2. The Id would be connected via ethernet to a router, the laptop via wi-fi the laptop only used to add either rips or downloaded music to the Id. There is no internet where the Id would reside (is there something as a ludite mode..? =P ).
3. In the future maybe I could try the Id Pi to provide music files to another DAC (for a headphone amp).
4. In the future I might be interested in using the hdmi to play videos or movies, but at present one of the features I like about the product is that a display is not needed.
5. I already have JRemote to control the laptop, so that would be used to control the Id.
6. For upgrades I guess I would have to take the Id to the city in order to access the internet... (it would be best If the upgrades can be done by an USB)
Now for the questions that still remain:
Looking to the future, will the current Id 202 be enough for say... 2 years? Would performance (specially with the dsd files) increase if I add say 8 GB of ram? Maybe at some point Id can play files from the ram?
I already read the whole forum, it seems that the current 202 is able to do what I want, only the specifics like compatibility with my DAC are unknowns to me. It seems that most of the issues are network related and making a lot of different devices interact; I wonder If the plugin-unpluging the Id from one network to another will eventually make me have issues with it, I don´t want sad days with the little thing dead and a library entombed in it... Anyways I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
best regards,

Antonio Rivas

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #752 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:45 am »

Hi! I´m very interested in the Id, already been a JRiver user since ver. 17 I think, I have a full license on my laptop. The way I plan to use it as follow:

1. My full library of about 1Tb would be placed on the Id, which includes a lot of flacs, and alac files and some few DSD files, most of the library has been riped from CD´s, there are some 96/24 and higher res downloads. This would be connected via USB to a Bifrost Multibit DAC.
2. The Id would be connected via ethernet to a router, the laptop via wi-fi the laptop only used to add either rips or downloaded music to the Id. There is no internet where the Id would reside (is there something as a ludite mode..? =P ).
3. In the future maybe I could try the Id Pi to provide music files to another DAC (for a headphone amp).
4. In the future I might be interested in using the hdmi to play videos or movies, but at present one of the features I like about the product is that a display is not needed.
5. I already have JRemote to control the laptop, so that would be used to control the Id.
6. For upgrades I guess I would have to take the Id to the city in order to access the internet... (it would be best If the upgrades can be done by an USB)
Now for the questions that still remain:
Looking to the future, will the current Id 202 be enough for say... 2 years? Would performance (specially with the dsd files) increase if I add say 8 GB of ram? Maybe at some point Id can play files from the ram?
I already read the whole forum, it seems that the current 202 is able to do what I want, only the specifics like compatibility with my DAC are unknowns to me. It seems that most of the issues are network related and making a lot of different devices interact; I wonder If the plugin-unpluging the Id from one network to another will eventually make me have issues with it, I don´t want sad days with the little thing dead and a library entombed in it... Anyways I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
best regards,

Antonio Rivas
You are using it essentially how I use it. Store the files on it, push new ones via samba, etc. Control with JRemote/Gizmo.
I don't do any DSD files. It's possible there isn't enough power for multichannel DSD files to be downsampled and mixed for your DAC.
If your DAC works properly with generic linux it will work with the Id. All of the DAC's I have tried do.
I don't see a problem with plugging/unplugging it as long as you power it down gracefully (a quick touch on the power button or shutdown via a keyboard or remote desktop connection).

The internet isn't required and there are USB images for firmware repair. The MC updates however generally get onto the internet quite a long time before they hit the firmware repair image.

czrtly

• Recent member
« Reply #753 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21:10 pm »

Thanks Bob for the useful reply, will get my Id 202 from you at the end of month. I have been wondering how future proof will it be and was contemplating getting an Intel nuc with i3 processor and bit more of ram, buying the Id USB from JRiver, but it seems that Id won't get multi threads or other fancy stuf, I appreciate reliability and the access point price (Mexican peso is really going down), so will forget about other stuff for a while, gain experience and just enjoy playing music hopefully forgetting about the device. Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,

Antonio Rivas

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #754 on: June 18, 2016, 04:16:08 pm »

You are using it essentially how I use it. Store the files on it, push new ones via samba, etc. Control with JRemote/Gizmo.
I don't do any DSD files. It's possible there isn't enough power for multichannel DSD files to be downsampled and mixed for your DAC.

Hi,

I'm also looking to buy the SSD ID (using a Macbook Pro right now) and am very frustrated that there's no specs on the jriver page ( http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id ) regarding what it can and cannot do!  After an hour of digging through the forums I have some info but much of it is very old and probably not applicable anymore.  So, here's what the JRiver folks should be able to let me know for the hardware/software they are selling:

When acting as a player hooked to a home-theater receiver via HDMI and getting files from a Drobo 5N on a 1GB ethernet:
1) Can it drive 7.1 PCM from SACD .ISO files and DSF files?
2) Can it do this from stereo/5.1 with the mixer settings?
3) Can it play 1080p video?  3D?

When acting as a server for JRemote on an iPad Pro 9.7":
1) Can it play multi-channel FLAC, SACD, DSF mixing down to stereo?
2) Can it play 1080p video?

The NUC 5CPYH ID is almost 2 years old now.  Are there plans for one with using a new / more powerful (but still fanless) model?  I see a ton of them here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/products-overview.html

Thanks,

David

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: June 20, 2016, 02:26:28 pm »

Thanks Bob for the useful reply, will get my Id 202 from you at the end of month. I have been wondering how future proof will it be and was contemplating getting an Intel nuc with i3 processor and bit more of ram, buying the Id USB from JRiver, but it seems that Id won't get multi threads or other fancy stuf, I appreciate reliability and the access point price (Mexican peso is really going down), so will forget about other stuff for a while, gain experience and just enjoy playing music hopefully forgetting about the device. Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,

Antonio Rivas
Antonio, the Id USB stick will put the same software onto your own NUC if you decide to go that route. The only issue may be video support on really new NUC's. We haven't been able to test them all..

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #756 on: June 23, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »

Can someone from JRiver please respond?  I want to give you guy my money but need these questions answered first :)

David

Hi,

I'm also looking to buy the SSD ID (using a Macbook Pro right now) and am very frustrated that there's no specs on the jriver page ( http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id ) regarding what it can and cannot do!  After an hour of digging through the forums I have some info but much of it is very old and probably not applicable anymore.  So, here's what the JRiver folks should be able to let me know for the hardware/software they are selling:

When acting as a player hooked to a home-theater receiver via HDMI and getting files from a Drobo 5N on a 1GB ethernet:
1) Can it drive 7.1 PCM from SACD .ISO files and DSF files?
2) Can it do this from stereo/5.1 with the mixer settings?
3) Can it play 1080p video?  3D?

When acting as a server for JRemote on an iPad Pro 9.7":
1) Can it play multi-channel FLAC, SACD, DSF mixing down to stereo?
2) Can it play 1080p video?

The NUC 5CPYH ID is almost 2 years old now.  Are there plans for one with using a new / more powerful (but still fanless) model?  I see a ton of them here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/products-overview.html

Thanks,

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #757 on: June 23, 2016, 06:39:11 pm »

There is a 30 day return on your purchase.

Your audio needs will probably be met.

Video is only basic because of the processor.  Certainly no 3D, for example.

We just switched to the 5CPYH a few months ago.  I don't think it's two years old.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #758 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »

Thanks Jim.

We just switched to the 5CPYH a few months ago.  I don't think it's two years old.

HamishNorton

• Recent member
« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2016, 12:03:12 pm »

Does the Id software have convolution capability? If so, as a practical matter would the Id classic handle 4 streams at 44.1 kHz with 65536 long filters?

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #760 on: July 27, 2016, 04:56:56 pm »

Is there any guidance on when a JRiver pre-built ID will be available that can play 1080p 3D DTS-MAHD .m2ts files via HDMI ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #761 on: August 01, 2016, 07:37:17 am »

Is there any guidance on when a JRiver pre-built ID will be available that can play 1080p 3D DTS-MAHD .m2ts files via HDMI ?

3D video playback is an exclusive feature to MC for Windows for the time being, and unlikely to arrive on the Linux version as used by the Id anytime soon. Sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #762 on: August 03, 2016, 08:37:13 am »

3D video playback is an exclusive feature to MC for Windows for the time being, and unlikely to arrive on the Linux version as used by the Id anytime soon. Sorry.

Ah, ok.  Didn't realize that about Linux.  So my question then is:
Is there any guidance on when a JRiver pre-built ID will be available that can play 1080p MPCM .m2ts files via HDMI ?

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #763 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:56 am »

Video rendering quality of Id. I am considering to have the JRiver id a player for my music/video in the living room. I have my questions about the video rendering quality of the NUC. I have a lot of music videos (mostly classical music) So far I used the OPPO 105 as player/renderer. Audio is not an issue, as I use a dedicated USB DAC. My concern is the video quality of the NUC/id. For instance I notice a considerable difference in video quality between my OPPO 105 and VLC on a Apple TV. How would you judge the video quality. Is the hardware irrelevant as JRiver is the renderer?

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #764 on: September 07, 2016, 12:05:13 pm »

Hello
My intentions is stil to buy an Id but I would like clarification on a few points.
My desired setup is as follows:
IPad running JRemote controlling Windows 10 PC with MC currently serving Denon DAC through USB. I love the sound.
I want to get away from having to turn on my computer all the time. I think this is the purpose of Id, but reading through posts sometimes confuses me.
1. Once setup is done, will Id turn on/run without KVM?
2. Does MC require to be installed on the Id? If not, how can JRemote control Id without MC being on Id? Or can JRemote control Id without MC running on Id?
3. If MC runs on Id, will JRemote use Id version playlists etc, or still use PC based playlists.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #765 on: September 07, 2016, 12:13:25 pm »

1.  The Id's use about 8 watts, so they can be left on 24 hours a day.
2.  MC is included with the Id.
3.  JRemote will use the Id library.  You'll see whatever is in it.

The Id is a replacement for your current PC, as far as MC is concerned.

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #766 on: September 08, 2016, 08:36:11 am »

Hi,
I am interested in the Id for remote playback of both Audio and Video in my bedroom.
I have all of my media files sitting on a NAS and tagged using some custom database fields for easy grouping (most of the video that I would want to watch is in .MP4 format)
I also have a server in my studio which has a few Theatre view configurations that allow easy navigation through my video libraries.

Instead of having a laptop in the bedroom attached to my TV which runs Windows, MC connected to either the Studio library server (or NAS directly) and allows navigation via Theatre View with a IR remote I would like to be able to use the Id connected to the TV via HDMI which plays Audio & Video from the media sources (Studio Server via Library server or DLNA or NAS via DLNA).

I really like using MC's Theatre view as its navigation is customisable as opposed to the TV's media player for example.

Can you please let me know if the current (or future) versions of the Id will be able to use Theatre View on a TV to navigate & play back video files as described above?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #767 on: September 08, 2016, 10:13:55 am »

Hi,
I am interested in the Id for remote playback of both Audio and Video in my bedroom.
I have all of my media files sitting on a NAS and tagged using some custom database fields for easy grouping (most of the video that I would want to watch is in .MP4 format)
I also have a server in my studio which has a few Theatre view configurations that allow easy navigation through my video libraries.

Instead of having a laptop in the bedroom attached to my TV which runs Windows, MC connected to either the Studio library server (or NAS directly) and allows navigation via Theatre View with a IR remote I would like to be able to use the Id connected to the TV via HDMI which plays Audio & Video from the media sources (Studio Server via Library server or DLNA or NAS via DLNA).

I really like using MC's Theatre view as its navigation is customisable as opposed to the TV's media player for example.

Can you please let me know if the current (or future) versions of the Id will be able to use Theatre View on a TV to navigate & play back video files as described above?
Since linux MC doesn't currently have theater view, neither does the Id. It is in development however. When that will be available is not currently known.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #768 on: September 26, 2016, 09:26:28 pm »

1.  The Id's use about 8 watts, so they can be left on 24 hours a day.
2.  MC is included with the Id.
3.  JRemote will use the Id library.  You'll see whatever is in it.

The Id is a replacement for your current PC, as far as MC is concerned.

Thanks for that. I now own an Id w 2TB HDD. Installed, running, and enjoying hi res music. I loaded files to the Id by drag and drop from Windows Explorer, into a subfolder called Internal Storage. However I can't access a folder called External Storage. Is this the HDD? If so, how do I access this extra 2 TB?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #769 on: September 27, 2016, 07:14:17 am »

In the text menu, you need to tell the Id that there is a USB drive or network drive you want to add.  That's what External means.  A drive outside the Id.

The drive that came with the Id is Internal.

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #770 on: September 27, 2016, 02:13:28 pm »

In the text menu, you need to tell the Id that there is a USB drive or network drive you want to add.  That's what External means.  A drive outside the Id.

The drive that came with the Id is Internal.

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

Is that mounting? If so, I did that, successfully, adding my PC's Music drive as a share.
Should I not be able to read that drive from Windows Explorer?
Speaking of which (sorry I had to), does a mounted drive sync files with the Id or copy files to it? If I add music to my PC's music folder, will this sync to the Id?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #771 on: September 27, 2016, 02:31:23 pm »

Is that mounting? If so, I did that, successfully, adding my PC's Music drive as a share.
Should I not be able to read that drive from Windows Explorer?
Speaking of which (sorry I had to), does a mounted drive sync files with the Id or copy files to it? If I add music to my PC's music folder, will this sync to the Id?
External drives on the Id are ones that are connected to the USB port on the Id, not remote mounted network shares.

If you add files to the PC's music drive that's the share, they will show up on the Id eventually if you have auto-import tuned on in MC for that share. It's run every 2 hours. (because of limitations of windows shares on linux we can't get events when the files are added so we fall back on a periodic media scan).

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #772 on: September 27, 2016, 04:43:02 pm »

External drives on the Id are ones that are connected to the USB port on the Id, not remote mounted network shares.

If you add files to the PC's music drive that's the share, they will show up on the Id eventually if you have auto-import tuned on in MC for that share. It's run every 2 hours. (because of limitations of windows shares on linux we can't get events when the files are added so we fall back on a periodic media scan).

Ok thanks again. The good news is that I got it to work. The other news is that I misinterpreted what mounting does. I was expecting (smokey me) that a mounted drive would somehow sync my PC to the Id, making my files available to play on the Id offline (when PC is off). I gues I'll be looking for a NAS.
Meantime, can I dismount a share?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #773 on: September 27, 2016, 05:08:08 pm »

Ok thanks again. The good news is that I got it to work. The other news is that I misinterpreted what mounting does. I was expecting (smokey me) that a mounted drive would somehow sync my PC to the Id, making my files available to play on the Id offline (when PC is off). I gues I'll be looking for a NAS.
Meantime, can I dismount a share?
Yes, just remove it through the diskmenu.
You could use your MC PC to setup the Id's internal drive's share as a handheld device then sync to it (if there is enough space on your Id for all of your media files).

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #774 on: September 27, 2016, 05:51:07 pm »

Yes, just remove it through the diskmenu.
You could use your MC PC to setup the Id's internal drive's share as a handheld device then sync to it (if there is enough space on your Id for all of your media files).

Hmmm...Need to read up on how to do this (which is half the fun of this experience). I'll circle back. Thanks for your help.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #775 on: October 03, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »

I'd love to jump in this thread, if I may. Planning my Id purchase, and will connect via network to my QNAP NAS. Windows had no fun connecting - Credential Manager had to be invoked - but it seems this way my server can physically stay where it is, a floor away, and the Id can live on top of my Adcom preamp in the den.

I remember an MC version or two ago, there were some tasks that could not be performed on a client, only at the server. Are those resolved, so that I can hop on my Windows PC in the study, and create/modify views, etc. (can't remember what the client limitations were)? Anticipating things that will be no fun via iPad interface and will be much faster/smoother with a keyboard/mouse...

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #776 on: October 13, 2016, 08:05:31 am »

Does the GUI interface allow full functionality, such as creating/managing playlists? If I run a client on a Win10 desktop with Id as the server, will I be able to create/manage playlists? I remember being told there were some tasks that can only be performed on the server (earlier version of MC).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #777 on: October 13, 2016, 08:34:39 am »

The GUI interface on the Id uses the Linux version of MC so it has the same features as the Mac version and most features of the Windows version, but no television or Theater View.  You can manage playlists there.

If you're using the Id as a server, you have the capabilities of MC's servers.  The wiki has a topic on Servers.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #778 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:03 am »

Thanks, but as you can imagine: managing playlists is a task far more friendly with mouse/keyboard than with touchscreen manipulation. That was part 2 of my post: If I run a client on a Win10 desktop with Id as the server, will I be able to create/manage playlists from the client, and have the server respond accordingly?

Right now, my server *IS* the Win10 desktop. Considering purchasing the Id and configuring it as the server, and the Win10 box transitions to a client.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: October 13, 2016, 08:47:40 am »

Thanks, but as you can imagine: managing playlists is a task far more friendly with mouse/keyboard than with touchscreen manipulation. That was part 2 of my post: If I run a client on a Win10 desktop with Id as the server, will I be able to create/manage playlists from the client, and have the server respond accordingly?

Right now, my server *IS* the Win10 desktop. Considering purchasing the Id and configuring it as the server, and the Win10 box transitions to a client.
You might consider using the Id as a server and as the player, and controlling it with Panel through any browser on any device, or with any of MC's Remotes:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes

That way, you can turn off the Windows machine if you're not using it for something else.  A Windows machine will use around 40 or 50 watts and the Id is around 10 watts.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #780 on: October 16, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »

What's the best connector option between my 25 year old Adcom Preamp/Tuner, which has RCA jacks, and the Id?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #781 on: October 16, 2016, 05:18:51 pm »

You could use an adaptor or cable with 1/8 stereo on one end and RCA on the other.  Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-3-5mm-Stereo-Adapter-Speaker/dp/B0098PRC0Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1476656240&sr=8-8&keywords=adaptor+from+1%2F8+stereo+to+rca

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #782 on: October 16, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »

OK, great, that's how I was connecting my laptop. Just wondered if the quality was better with some other type of connection available to me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #783 on: October 16, 2016, 06:12:53 pm »

What other choices do you have?

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #784 on: October 16, 2016, 06:20:47 pm »

None that I'm aware of, that's why I asked...   :P

blgentry

« Reply #785 on: October 16, 2016, 06:22:17 pm »

Another choice would be an external DAC connected via USB.  If you care enough to own Adcom equipment, you *might* be the kind of person that would appreciate a dedicated DAC.  Or not. If it sounds fine to you and you're not questing for better sound, the built in motherboard sound card might be fine.

Brian.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #786 on: October 16, 2016, 06:37:29 pm »

Well, I'm glad you brought that up.

I'm somewhat interested in a different DAC than what's on board the Adcom GTP-500II preamp/tuner. However, I occasionally like to listen to FM radio (as does the rest of my family).  :o

While I've used "Connected Media" in MC many many times, it's a total PITA to use, as opposed to just having a darn tuner. And, of course, it's not even an option in JRemote/Gizmo/Panel, so there goes that. I've got my eye on a TEAC DAC, but if anyone has any idea what to tell my fam about FM, lemme know.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #787 on: October 18, 2016, 09:09:29 am »

Has anyone successfully added a "Connected Media" stream to a Car Radio preset?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #788 on: October 18, 2016, 09:17:09 am »

1.  Play the stream first by using File > Open URL.

2.  Then, in Playing Now, right click and send it to a playlist.

3.  Press and hold a Car Radio button and choose to save the playlist.

Edit -- you can skip #2.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Id Questions? - Drobo 5N NAS
« Reply #789 on: October 18, 2016, 06:36:14 pm »

Hi all.

I've been using MC (currently 21) on a MacBook Pro for a long time and wanted a dedicated box I could leave on and connected to my home theater and also to stream to JRemote.

I just got an Id and was trying to set it up.  Hooked it up to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, ethernet.  However, I can't figure out how to mount my media share located on my Drobo 5N NAS.  I tried many variations of //hostname (and ip address)/share and read many forum threads but can't get anything to work.   On my Mac, it mounts using afp but I know the Drobo also supports smb.  Surprisingly, I can't find any reference to anyone using a Drobo in the forums.   I was going to use my portable USB backup drive as a test, but it's formatted as EXFAT.  This is the best format for large drives shared between Mac and Windows, but apparently isn't supported by the Linux on the Id.

I'm reasonable familiar with Mac, Windows, and Linux, but not sure what to do now since I don't do any Linux admin work. 

Thanks,

David

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:34 pm »

As a first step and to make sure it's working and on the network, try playing to it as a DLNA Renderer.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #791 on: October 18, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »

As a first step and to make sure it's working and on the network, try playing to it as a DLNA Renderer.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

That works fine.  JRemote on iPad plays from MC21 (getting files from Drobo share mounted on MacBook) on MacBook to device ID and audio comes out headphone jack on the front.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2016, 07:12:56 pm »

So the problem may just be mounting a drive on the Id.  I think you're using the text menu of the Id to do this.    You could try a USB drive of any kind as a test.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #793 on: October 18, 2016, 07:15:26 pm »

So the problem may just be mounting a drive on the Id.  I think you're using the text menu of the Id to do this.    You could try a USB drive of any kind as a test.

Yes - I agree.  I just need to format a USB drive so that I can write it on the Mac and read on the ID.  The ID just reads NTFS, ext3, and ext4?

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2016, 07:49:30 pm »

Yes - I agree.  I just need to format a USB drive so that I can write it on the Mac and read on the ID.  The ID just reads NTFS, ext3, and ext4?

I formatted a USB drive as NTFS and put some music on it and it mounted and played fine on the ID.  Back to issue with network share mounting.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2016, 10:30:52 pm »

When you go through the questions to mount a a network drive on the Id, it asks you whether the drive/folder is on a PC.  I found that some public shared folders on a linux based NAS could not be mounted when I asked "no".  When I answered "yes" (so that Samba/CIFS networking would be used, I think), mounting was successful.

Both NFS and Samba/CIFS network sharing were enabled on the NAS.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #796 on: October 19, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »

When you go through the questions to mount a a network drive on the Id, it asks you whether the drive/folder is on a PC.  I found that some public shared folders on a linux based NAS could not be mounted when I asked "no".  When I answered "yes" (so that Samba/CIFS networking would be used, I think), mounting was successful.

Thanks. I tried a few things, including saying it was Windows and creating a new user account on the Drobo and have some progress.  I got it to mount.  I entered //192.168.1.15/media, local dir drobo and didn't get the failure message and see this if I select display config:

Code: [Select]
#   Share Path            Directory on the Id   Options
1   //192.168.1.15/media  /mnt/drobo             -orw,nounix,credentials=/home/media/547d14e370edfd857dfdcede846da5c0

And, in MC running on the ID, I selected Add Folder to Library and was able to select /mnt/drobo.

The (huge) problem is that it shows the directory as empty when there's a couple of Terabytes of stuff in there.

Now what?

BradATIMA

« Reply #797 on: October 19, 2016, 01:22:45 pm »

The (huge) problem is that it shows the directory as empty when there's a couple of Terabytes of stuff in there.

Now what?

After you successfully mounted the drive, did you reboot the Id? If not, try rebooting and then adding the folder to the library.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #798 on: October 19, 2016, 08:20:16 pm »

After you successfully mounted the drive, did you reboot the Id? If not, try rebooting and then adding the folder to the library.

That did it.  I can see import files!  While I'm here, can someone point me to the instructions to copy my library file over from my Mac?

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #799 on: October 22, 2016, 02:38:30 pm »

That did it.  I can see import files!  While I'm here, can someone point me to the instructions to copy my library file over from my Mac?

NOOOO!!!  It's doing it again.

I had to replace a dead router which changed the IP address of my Drobo.  I thought - No Problem - and first removed the mount for the old address - rebooted the ID - and then added with the exact same steps but just the new IP address.  And I just keep getting FAILURE :(

Tried various things including some reboots but no change.  Is there a way to open a shell on the ID so I can try some Linux commands and try and see what's wrong? 

Thanks,

David
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 26   Go Up