INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370749 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #800 on: October 24, 2016, 09:41:27 am »

NOOOO!!!  It's doing it again.

I had to replace a dead router which changed the IP address of my Drobo.  I thought - No Problem - and first removed the mount for the old address - rebooted the ID - and then added with the exact same steps but just the new IP address.  And I just keep getting FAILURE :(

Tried various things including some reboots but no change.  Is there a way to open a shell on the ID so I can try some Linux commands and try and see what's wrong? 

Thanks,

David
Not sure what's going on here. There shouldn't be an issue with deleting and re-adding the share.
Just as a test, try changing the name of the share.
Also, you might consider giving your server boxes fixed ip address leases in your router (same thing goes for renderers). I do that at home to cut down on the complexity of the configuration.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #801 on: October 24, 2016, 09:03:23 pm »

Not sure what's going on here. There shouldn't be an issue with deleting and re-adding the share.
Just as a test, try changing the name of the share.

Nope - tried multiple shares and multiple mount points and multiple id/passwords.  All work fine with my Mac and MC21 running on it - and briefly worked on the ID a few days ago.

Also, you might consider giving your server boxes fixed ip address leases in your router (same thing goes for renderers). I do that at home to cut down on the complexity of the configuration.

I do this.  I reserve the IP address based on MAC address for clients I need to connect to.  However, the new router put everything in a different range. The new address is now constant.

I still haven't gotten an answer about shell access or other debugging tools.  It's going to be a huge pain if I have to return this and go with a Mac Mini solution but, at least, I know that will work.  The MC ID (which I noticed is still running MC 20.x!) doesn't appear to work correctly.

I'll give it a couple of days for someone at JRiver to help fix this before I ask for my money back.  This was supposed to be a turnkey install and I'm not going to turn it into a major project trying to get this thing to work right.

David

BradATIMA

« Reply #802 on: October 25, 2016, 02:31:01 pm »

We're having some difficulty connecting to Windows shares so we're looking into this issue. Unfortunately,  shell access isn't available.  We will have an answer soon.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #803 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »

We're having some difficulty connecting to Windows shares so we're looking into this issue. Unfortunately,  shell access isn't available.  We will have an answer soon.

Ok.  From the forums, I see this has been in place for over a year and I'd guess you're just calling CIFS VFS.  So, I'd think this would be pretty straight-forward to debug and fix.

Related question: what would be the difference between the NUC ID and just buying a raw NUC and putting Linux and MC-Linux on it?

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #804 on: October 25, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »

If you're a Linux guru, you can make something similar to an Id.  You would

Install
Configure
License
Update as needed

If you use an Id, we do most of the work for you.  It's similar to the difference between buying a computer with and without an OS.

And you get:

Remote configuration via Panel
Engen

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #805 on: November 04, 2016, 12:07:34 am »

If you're a Linux guru, you can make something similar to an Id. 

If you use an Id, we do most of the work for you.  It's similar to the difference between buying a computer with and without an OS.

Well, I didn't want to wait for possible fixes - and it looked like the ID didn't have the horsepower for multi-channel DSD - so I returned it and bought a used Mac Mini.  Much better and can do so much more for not much more money.  Got JRemote all set for local playback or on my iPhone or iPad.  Yay!

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
What NOT to do when setting up Id
« Reply #806 on: November 18, 2016, 09:57:21 am »

If you're in GUI mode, do NOT change your view to "Audio only".

Disables mouse and keyboard (USB) in the MC pane completely, and no Alt-button to initiate menus. Rebooted, same behavior. Went to 77 to reset to default.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #807 on: November 24, 2016, 10:29:58 am »

Alright, I was able to configure, best of my ability, the Id Classic, then I powered it down. Restarted in it's future home, headless, connected via  3.5" jack to tuner/preamp. Thanks to everyone for clarifying the /mnt folder!

The setup is: network ethernet -> switch -> ethernet to NAS, and ethernet to Id. I can see the NAS on my network (can login to control panel via Win10 desktop), but cannot locate the Id (trying to identify via mac address on my network), using the "Settings for Id-xxxxxxxxxxxx" identifier. I thought that perhaps I can't see it because it's on the other side of a dumb switch, but then I wouldn't be able to access the NAS either, since it's on the same switch. Could it be because I attached the NAS as an "External Media" drive and said "N" to the server being a Windows File System? I don't think that's the issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #808 on: November 26, 2016, 11:54:45 am »

Alright, I was able to configure, best of my ability, the Id Classic, then I powered it down. Restarted in it's future home, headless, connected via  3.5" jack to tuner/preamp. Thanks to everyone for clarifying the /mnt folder!

The setup is: network ethernet -> switch -> ethernet to NAS, and ethernet to Id. I can see the NAS on my network (can login to control panel via Win10 desktop), but cannot locate the Id (trying to identify via mac address on my network), using the "Settings for Id-xxxxxxxxxxxx" identifier. I thought that perhaps I can't see it because it's on the other side of a dumb switch, but then I wouldn't be able to access the NAS either, since it's on the same switch. Could it be because I attached the NAS as an "External Media" drive and said "N" to the server being a Windows File System? I don't think that's the issue.
The attachment of the NAS doesn't have anything to do with you not seeing the Id.
I assume you are trying to see the Id as a renderer from the PC? Can you temporarily attache a monitor and keyboard to it to find out it's IP address?
Also, you switch is a dumb switch, right? It doesn't have any SSDP filtering?

oldzorki

• Recent member
« Reply #809 on: February 14, 2017, 09:07:08 am »

I now use JRiver as server AND player on old crappy windows machine, which is time to dump.
All my music, photo and video is on Synology NAS. As a player I use it only for music.
I wonder if I can use Id (mini-PC) as a player using USB with Nuprime IDA-8, as they do not have linux-specific drivers. I play a lot of high-res music (192/24 and DSD up to 256).
The rest of my playback devices are all using DLNA.
I also wonder if MS wireless keyboard an mouse will work, I have tiny usb stick for those.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #810 on: February 14, 2017, 09:14:44 am »

The keyboard will work.  The DAC should also work.  The manufacturer would know more about whether it works at all on Linux.

oldzorki

• Recent member
« Reply #811 on: February 14, 2017, 09:18:39 am »

The keyboard will work.  The DAC should also work.  The manufacturer would know more about whether it works at all on Linux.
Thank you, I will send a request to manufacturer.

Up: They punted me back (((.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #812 on: March 05, 2017, 09:32:05 am »

Will the id load the Windows sub driver Mcintosh has for its C47 premamp USB input . If I cannot get Chromeaudio to work, I am thinking of the iD.

Great day to all of you !
I'm new to this forum - and very interested into becomming an MC user over my old WMC7.
Now i've just found this question, as quoted above and initally launched by JMSchnur, as i'm not sure it was answered i'm curious if the Id is compatible with new McIntosh USB gear like the C47 and D150 ?

Thanks !

Steven.

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #813 on: March 05, 2017, 12:20:09 pm »

I did get chrome audio to work with jriver and the Macintosh preamp

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #814 on: September 03, 2017, 10:52:26 pm »

not sure if this is the right thread.... couple questions before I buy the Id.... i'll want to use the Id as a server via Ethernet (DLNA) to my Oppo and hopefully controlled by my Android... how come you don't offer a 1TB or more  SSD ?  does the Id supposed offer better sound quality over a regular computer ? no issues using a Windows computer with Linux Id ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #815 on: September 04, 2017, 07:06:52 am »

No problems using the Id as a server and a Windows machine as a client.

The Id 201 has a 1 TB spinning drive.  1TB SSD's are still expensive.
https://jriver.com/Id/

Sound would not change.  A computer is a computer.  The Id is a computer.

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #816 on: September 04, 2017, 09:10:59 am »

Sound would not change.  A computer is a computer.  The Id is a computer.

ha... makes sense... I've read several articles/descriptions saying that a minimalist designed "computer" dedicated to music was better ...

if I was going to store thousands of dollars worth of music, spending a couple hundred dollars on a more reliable hard drive makes sense to me... also less noise...

so why are people wanting a unit like the ID if they already have a computer ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:31 am »

so why are people wanting a unit like the ID if they already have a computer ?

Its small and hides away easily, uses little power even when kept running 24/7, comes with everything setup to plug in and enjoy music.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #818 on: October 16, 2017, 12:21:51 pm »

Hi
I wonder if someone could give me a prod in the right direction, I have today changed from using the front panel 3.5mm jack to trying to use the optical output.
If I select the iec 958 output, it does indeed play fine, however I cannot adjust the volume using JRemote or panel...Is this a fools errand or am I just being a numpty.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #819 on: October 16, 2017, 12:36:34 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Please try setting MC to Internal volume in the audio options.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #820 on: October 16, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Please try setting MC to Internal volume in the audio options.

That has done it Jim, thank you. I had hesitated doing this earlier as I thought I had read somewhere else on the forum that setting this to internal breaks “gapless”  playback, or am I confusing this with something else?

So much to learn ...

clpetersen

• Recent member
New Id set-up
« Reply #821 on: October 23, 2017, 02:36:07 pm »

Hello forum - I am a JRiver user, music only.
The Id is intriguing, and plan to buy. Here is the proposed configuration:

1) To be installed in our home theater - USB out to Oppo 205; HDMI out to Samsung TV. I would like to see artwork etc on the main screen.

2) All music on Synology NAS, which is set up as a DLNA server.

3) plan to control using JRemote

-- Can the Id access streaming services or internet radio?

-- Once set-up, I can run the Id by itself, no need for MC running elsewhere, correct?

Many thanks -

GaryB

• World Citizen
Re: New Id set-up
« Reply #822 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:48 am »

Hello forum - I am a JRiver user, music only.
The Id is intriguing, and plan to buy. Here is the proposed configuration:

1) To be installed in our home theater - USB out to Oppo 205; HDMI out to Samsung TV. I would like to see artwork etc on the main screen.

2) All music on Synology NAS, which is set up as a DLNA server.

3) plan to control using JRemote

-- Can the Id access streaming services or internet radio?

-- Once set-up, I can run the Id by itself, no need for MC running elsewhere, correct?

Many thanks -

Similar setup to myself, however I ditched using the Synology as the Media server choosing instead to use it as a straight “file server”  using MC on the Id as both the (DLNA) Server and renderer

clpetersen

• Recent member
Re: New Id set-up
« Reply #823 on: October 26, 2017, 10:28:59 am »

Similar setup to myself, however I ditched using the Synology as the Media server choosing instead to use it as a straight “file server”  using MC on the Id as both the (DLNA) Server and renderer

Thanks GaryB - that makes sense (MC pulls and renders the files directly from the Synology - I prefer this approach as well).

So, when you plug the Id HDMI out into the TV, you get the normal JRiver visual interface (display mode, etc.)? Audio is also sent up via HDMI? In that case I could send it back down to the OPPO via ARC on HDMI, which works well for normal TV, streaming, etc. Are there any concerns using ARC/HDMI vs USB audio out to OPPO? Using existing ARC would simplify cabling somewhat.

Owl

« Reply #824 on: October 28, 2017, 09:35:55 pm »

I currently have a NuPrime IDA16 Stereo amplifier which takes DSD Over PCM standard 1.0 and has USB Sampling Rates of: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz and DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz.

I currently use a network bridge to deliver DSD files to the amplifier and I have used a Mac running Audirvana in the past.

My music library contains a large volume of high resolution (e.g. 7.5 minute track, 1.28 Gigabyte) DSD files. These are stored on a Synology NAS dedicated to music.

The network bridge has an external, high quality, low noise power supply and delivers data to the Amp with no noise (well almost no noise) resulting in a pure sound which I value highly.

Unfortunately, the software for the network bridge is unstable and there have, for about two years now, been a range of problems that are now driving me to look at alternatives.

I’m attracted to the Id but have a few questions as my IT background does not extend to fully understanding DNLA or UPnP, though it has left me allergic to Microsoft product.
What I propose is to use the Id to:
1.   Run the JRiver media centre dedicated to music and to manage that through the IOS App.
2.   Have the JR Media Centre access the files on the Synology NAS using WiFi via an ASUS AC87 Access Point.
3.   Deliver the data from the JR Media Centre to the Amp via a USB cable.
4.   Use a high quality low noise power supply, if necessary, for the NUC to maintain the near noise free environment.

My questions are:
1.   Is this a sensible set up?
2.   Is it correct that I cannot have the Id access the files on the Synology NAS as a shared network drive but rather that I  have to serve them from the NAS by enabling its DLNA server.
3.   Will the Id wifi be up to the task of getting the files from the NAS? (By my arithmetic if my most dense dsd track has a file size of 1.28 Gigabytes and it plays for 7.5 minutes then the system will need to be able to handle a transfer of about 3 megabytes per second or very roughly 200 megabits per second)
4.   Is there anything in the NUC that will introduce or distort the digital stream like fan or SSD EMI or some switching on the motherboard and related components?
I hope my questions are not too dumb to justify a reply!

Owl

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #825 on: October 28, 2017, 09:43:46 pm »

It's not possible to make an absolute statement about whether it will be satisfactory. 

In your list of objectives, 1, 2, & 3 will work.  4 is a hardware issue, and may not be necessary.

The Id we offer is a lower powered machine, both wattage and CPU.  It can handle most audio, but DSD might or might not work.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific.  The Id is returnable for 30 days.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #826 on: October 31, 2017, 12:47:52 pm »

Just took delivery of Id and want to connect it to Benchmark DAC.  Could you recommend best output/input combination and advise correct description/name of the connecting cables I'll need.  thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #827 on: October 31, 2017, 01:02:44 pm »

Doesn't it have a USB connection?

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #828 on: October 31, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »

yes - but looks a different fitting on the DAC.  Is there a name/technical description so that I can order the correct cable?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #829 on: October 31, 2017, 05:45:12 pm »

The Benchmark manual should cover what the USB port is and what it can do.

There is a photo about 1/3 of the way down the Wikipedia page on USB:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #830 on: October 31, 2017, 06:01:38 pm »

That helps.  So, it's a type A on the Id and a type B on the DAC - just need a cable with appropriate fittings at each end...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #831 on: October 31, 2017, 06:11:32 pm »

Make sure the USB port on the DAC is meant for audio input.

Did it not arrive with a cable?

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #832 on: November 01, 2017, 03:16:37 am »

It may have done - it was a long, long time ago..... :)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #833 on: November 28, 2017, 06:20:03 pm »

Just set up my Id. Where do playlists live on the Id? And how do I transfer mine from old server (Win10 machine) to the Id, so that they work properly, and future playlists are managed by my Id (i.e., I make them on my Win10 machine which is now a client)?

Setup: NAS music files -> Id as server/renderer via network share -> Win10 + other clients

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #834 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:36 pm »

Just set up my Id. Where do playlists live on the Id? And how do I transfer mine from old server (Win10 machine) to the Id, so that they work properly, and future playlists are managed by my Id (i.e., I make them on my Win10 machine which is now a client)?

Setup: NAS music files -> Id as server/renderer via network share -> Win10 + other clients
As long as the filenames are compatible and the file layout is exactly the same on the NAS as on the windows machine, you could export playlists on the windows machine and do "store paths relative to exported playlist location", use the default mpl format and save it to the base directory of your files. Take the playlist file from there and put into the equivalent location on your NAS then import the playlist on the Id.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #835 on: December 19, 2017, 06:14:57 am »

any updates/improvements to the Id being planned for the near future?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #836 on: December 19, 2017, 10:00:10 am »

There are changes every week or two.  Is there something special you're looking for?

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #837 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:12 am »

Not especially.  I am delighted with it though.  It's USB connected to my Benchmark DAC, holds all my music, and works well from iPad and iPhone. I usually control it from MC23 running on iMac.  I guess I should check for updates via the settings menu on the GUI since 'update available' doesn't get posted like it does when opening a desktop app icon...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #838 on: December 19, 2017, 11:31:18 am »

That's nice to hear.  Thanks!

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #839 on: December 22, 2017, 10:57:06 am »

Longtime JRiver user here (since version 15). I have a question for ID Classic users:

I'm thinking of getting one of these (the 120gb SSD version) for use as a renderer for both audio and video (primarily blu-ray mkv) housed on my server PC a few rooms away, usually controlled by JRemote. It will be wired via cat7 cable to one of Netgear's semi-recent Nighthawk routers. How does 1080p blu-ray streaming go? I know there's no madVR or anything Windows related, but are there a lot of dropped frames, stuttering, etc.? Currently, I'm using a Mede8er 600X3D as a renderer, but it's inconsistent (at best) i.e., the audio and video are fine when they play, but the Mede8er's ability to "see" JRiver on UPNP and to be played to by JRemote is spotty at best (even after setting up Media Network via the Whitebear utility), with lots of rebooting involved and much frustration-laced-anger directed at me from both wife and kids. So how does it work for you all?

Any feedback would be great!

mateo

• Recent member
« Reply #840 on: December 31, 2017, 07:15:18 pm »

I have been using MC for a couple years and I just got myself an Id for Xmas.  I am super rookie with this IT stuff, so sorry for being so lame, but I am having trouble getting it setup despite reading all the guides and posts for two days.

I'm stuck on step 4 of the setup guide.  I got the network going and got the ports opened and can see the Id in the under media devices in the network section of Windows (10) Explorer.  Using the GUI on the Id I changed the audio device output to my NAD DAC amplifier, so I think I am ready to play some files.  But I can't find it in Tools>Options>Handhelds>Add Device and I can't map it as a network drive in Windows Explorer.

Am I doing this step right or did I do something wrong on the way here?  Thanks for any advice.   

mateo

• Recent member
« Reply #841 on: January 01, 2018, 09:33:45 am »

Can't map a network drive from the Id using the browser or the GUI either. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #842 on: January 01, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »

The 64 bit version of MC doesn't yet support handheld devices.  Is that the problem?

Are you trying to play to the Id from a Windows machine?  The Id should show up in Playing Now. You can drag and drop audio files to it.

mateo

• Recent member
« Reply #843 on: January 01, 2018, 03:59:41 pm »

Thanks, Jim.  I tried loading my music library from an external hard disk to the ID using the GUI.  It says a bunch of files loaded but it looks like they're just links to the external hard disk. I'm trying to get everything off the external disk to the ID, then be able to play it from my MC23 on my Windows PC and eventually JRemote when I get to that step.

Under Playing Now, I was able to add the ID library by entering the access key, but there's nothing there...except a new Player called "There."  I've tried dragging and dropping files on "There" on "Player" and on the ID library under Playing From ID Library, but nothing happens....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #844 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:08 pm »

It sounds like you imported the files, not copied them to the Id.

In another thread, I described how to copy files across the network:

In Windows Explorer, select Network, then enter the IP address of the Id.  Here's an example:

\\192.168.1.1

You should see two folders on the Id:

External Storage
Internal Storage

Navigate to the Media folder on Internal and drop a few files there.  MC should find them.  If not add the folder to the auto import settings.

That will put files on the IdPi.

mateo

• Recent member
« Reply #845 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »

I tried that and it won't connect.  Here's what it looks like.  I named it RockinID (cause I'm hoping its gonna rock) and 4 are showing up, but none under Network.  I tried to map a drive to \\10.0.0.240 but it says it can't find it on the network.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #846 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:59 pm »

Up above, where it says Network, type \\10.0.0.240 and hit Enter.

mateo

• Recent member
« Reply #847 on: January 02, 2018, 08:35:22 pm »

Damn, that worked!  How does that work but right click Network->Map Network Drive doesn't?  Aargh.  Thanks a lot :)

mateo

• Recent member
« Reply #848 on: January 03, 2018, 12:16:21 pm »

OK, I cleaned out both libraries (the "Main library" on my PC and the "Id library" on the Id) of all the music linked to my external drive, and started with 0 files.  Then placed a few files into Internal Storage/media, and they are there.  But I do not see them on the Id under either Library or after double clicking Playing Now.  I saw in your other post about adding the folder to the auto import settings, but that is how I created all those links last time and I want to move all the music to the Id for permanent storage.  Also the music is in folders by album or show, and when I dropped a folder onto Internal Storage, it just took the folder, not the files inside.  Please tell me there's a way to move over all the files in their folders so I don't have to go through that process again....  Many thanks.   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #849 on: January 03, 2018, 01:11:53 pm »

If you copy the folders on Windows and paste on the Id, the files should be moved.

InternalStorage/Media is where they should go.

Double check the auto import settings.  Tools > Import ...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 26   Go Up