INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downmixing but no upmixing pls?  (Read 2622 times)

Stormen

• Recent member
Downmixing but no upmixing pls?
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:55:38 am »

Hi
I'm pretty new to JRiver and I've searched for a solution but couldnt find any. Perhaps you can help me out.
I've got a htpc in my livingroom win 8.1 and running lynx two B audiocard with 2 channels in front to my hornspeakers and 2 surroundchannels directly to amps.
I use Wasapi.
When I playback a movie a want that downmixed to 4 channels (so the center track is mixed to the front L+R speakers)
So far so good. It works great.
But when I playback a 2-channel track (all music) its upmixed to 4 channel and there is sound in the surroundspeakers. And that is not wanted at all. A 2 track is a 2 track :-)
I just simply switch of the amps to the surroundspeakers. But is there any serrings or plugins for downmixing only?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Downmixing but no upmixing pls?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:37 am »

have you set up zones for these 2 playback options?

I believe this should be pretty easy to set up, if not -- Have to zones available (create them if needed) go to Audio Setting for the 4 channel - check the audio settings and DSP studio Output settings. CHanging the zone selector on the top of audio settings in options, repeat, setting output format to 2 channel and your choice of mixing settings (or none).  You can even make a "zone switch rule" so that it will toggle between the two depending on media type if you want.

Not having a  lynx card, there might be some other tweak to do, but I don't think so .. MWilliams is an expert at these kind of cards

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:49:35 am »

Great! . Havent thought about the zone setting possibilities. I'll try it out !

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »

Worked Great!
Menu: Player: Zone, add a Zone,, name it AUDIO
copy all the settings.

now change the dsp settings to 2 channel and no mixing. (if you like)
Set some rules using Zonew´switch (found under Menu: Player - Zone)
I named a rule to "Audio switch"  - File names,,, and then clicked all the music filetyo
pes in the list.
 (flac ogg, etc)
And then marked in the next option to stop playing in the "player" zone

Now I created another rule called "video switch" amd marked all the video containing filetypes, vob, mp4 etc.

This is still a test,, dont know what happens when I insert a CD  or a DVD in the player. only time will tell :-)
A quick test with flac and mkv files proofs this setup workes,, great.. many thanks for the advice.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »

great.. many thanks for the advice.
your welcome! nice to hear its working for you. And nice of you for getting back :)

Not sure zone switch will work from external devices ... never tried it. You can always manually toggle the zone before playing, now that the two zones are set up at least

Stormen

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 11:11:12 am »

I have found another solution. Since gizmo didnt autochange zone I ended  up manually set zones in the gizmo.
Instead of 4.0 setup and JRiver do the up and downmix. I set to my 4 speaker setup:

5.1 no mixing. And added some rules (parametric EQ) Add: mix:. Center to left (copy). Center to right (copy)  same with sub channel.
Now the movies with 5.1 material get mixed to 4.0 and the normal stereo playback is presented in L+R

edit: -5dB on the centermixing otherwise to loud. imho
Pages: [1]   Go Up