INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help setting folders up correctly  (Read 9819 times)

Datman

• World Citizen
Need help setting folders up correctly
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:18:13 am »

So I want to start over and do it right. I would like to end up with 2 tabs like the current default video tab that has all my BD5 and BD9 movies I call reg movies.  I want a tab titled “BD25 movies” that has , BD25 ISO movies in it. I like all the movie info you pull off the web that more than anything else make this program stand apart from others I have used, picture and sound run a close 2nd.

So I need to know the best way to start over deleting everything from my library. How to create and title folders that the 2 movie categories would go it, I want them to include all the movie info. Then how to import the specific titles to the correct folders.

There is so much to this player I will never figure it out completely but if I can get this now it would be great. Thanks for all the help.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need help setting folders up correctly
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:33:03 am »

You really don't need to start over. You can create a custom library Field, call it "ISO" maybe, if you like, populate the Field with BD25 on the files you want, and then set the rules for file display to just show the files with "ISO" is BD25.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »

Thanks Ken but I don’t see how to do it. I even typed “ create a custom library field “ in the help menu. I would thing by right clicking the folder I renamed BD25 movies I would be led to an option that would allow me to edit the file structure all that is available add library view or customize view  and that is just options for how it looks. I care not how it looks if I can’t figure out how to make it work.

If I go to manage library fields there is nothing that lets pick the folders just a whole bunch of stuff I’ll never use. I can go to media import add folders did that last night. So I browse to the folder and it is still there from last night with only “audio image and video” checked I always have to recheck data. Click OK the finish and nothing happens.

That’s as far as I ever get and I figure some other way to get it to play.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36:53 pm »

I can go to Video just above the Documents tab. Then files and there I can see all the movies and their file size if I highlight one if I choose send to  none of the options will let me choose a different folder. To put all the ISO files in the BD25 movie tab/folder.

This is what I meant when I have to try a variety of options just to see what will work . As far as setting up folders I have never gotten it I just wing it and have lived with what ever I have, never having it correct.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

Go to "Tools - Options - Library & Folders"
Click on "Manage Library Fields"

Lower left select "Add New Field".
Give your field a name like "My ISO" (I usually use the prefix My so all my custom fields show up together) and click ok.

In the right hand window you can set the attributes for your tag, Data type could be string and you could enter ISO in that field for the files you want. Then you can sort your display by only showing files that "My ISO = ISO"

Ken

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:02:12 pm »

edit: oops ken posted at the same time I see. sorry

Hey Datman  :)

You know JRiver can't do everything, but some days, it seems like it can.

It is not really clear what you want to do .... you want to start over and do it right okay (there are ways as Ken was saying to do that, including cleaning up your  disk directory structure as an example, without redoiing everything)

One thing is to break the habit of grabbing "physical" data. Why set up a system where you have to click on a folder to play it. It is a database, and JRiver gives you so many possibilities, use them.

That being said, a coherent directory structure that is consistent for ripping or importing is great to sort out at the beggining. I think video is easier than audio (or has less choices maybe is better way to put it), as basically if it is a movie its the Name then you have the movie file, a jpg and maybe a sidecar file). All other criteria, generally shoudl be findable,searchable, and filterable from the tag or metadata).

Now for TV you could have a folder for the series, a sub folder for the season. So getting back your "iso" question, to create a new field you will go to Options => Manage Library Fields then add New Field. This would be a User data field.  Then you could put iso, 3D whatever in a tag. and create a view using this tag, not a directory where all the files are just dumped.

People can help you with this but think about what you want to see on the screen first, what kind of detail you need etc. once the tag data is available you can then have a lot of options that are not dependant on file structure as Ken pointed out.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 03:02:46 pm »

Last night I went to options, file types, Data  highlighted disk image files (ISO) then checked file association and that turned it to Yes. I checked it today and I had to redo it as if it was not saved.

I was typing above when you replied Thanks for your suggestions. I did all that exactly as you typed it and it did nothing. I when to the purple tab under video that I titled My ISO and it remains empty.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 03:09:43 pm »

Last night I went to options, file types, Data  highlighted disk image files (ISO) then checked file association and that turned it to Yes. I checked it today and I had to redo it as if it was not saved.
I was typing above when you replied Thanks for your suggestions. I did all that exactly as you typed it and it did nothing. I when to the purple tab under video that I titled My ISO and it remains empty.

Neither of those things you did are what kensn suggested:

Give your field a name like "My ISO" (I usually use the prefix My so all my custom fields show up together) and click ok.

In the right hand window you can set the attributes for your tag, Data type could be string and you could enter ISO in that field for the files you want. Then you can sort your display by only showing files that "My ISO = ISO"

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:43 pm »

Neither of those things you did are what kensn suggested:

OK so I did it over and now I have a MY ISO (1) that I'm setting up.  Sorry about the size

screenshot windows 7

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »

OK I created a Library view My ISO and My movies and both have every movie I have in them. I was hoping to get only the ISO in the MY ISO.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 03:37:33 pm »

Great ... Now it will be a tag for your files. When you look at the tags for the files you want to display, put ISO in your MY ISO tag. Then in the

"Set rules for file display" for the view you are working on, you can "Add New Rule" and set from the pull downs:

My ISO -is -ISO

Then only the files that have ISO in your new custom field will be shown. Very powerful stuff.

Ken

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »

Also you can consult the Wiki...

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tags

Ken

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 04:26:52 pm »

OK 1st I made sure all my folders are in the import directory see screen grab and Video and data are checked for the appropriate folder. The I set it up I believe like you said ( see screen grab) and when I click OK the MY ISO tab emptied out and became a blank white screen with only “searching for files” in it.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 04:32:59 pm »

That looks great...

Your files should already be imported into your library. When they are tag them ISO in your MY ISO tag. Tag your MY ISO field in the tag editor in the Action window. Select a file you want to tag ISO and in the tag window right click and select show all tags. Your MY ISO will be there. Manually type ISO in the field.

Ken

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 04:41:37 pm »

So I went to My Movies right click , custom view, set rules for display scrolled down till I found and highlighted My Movies. Clicked set rules  "My Movies- contains AVHD videos" and clicked apply and the tab went black again.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 04:50:40 pm »

Populate your new field in the tag editor with ISO. The set your rules for file display as described above.

Ken

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 05:02:50 pm »

Thanks Ken if you get tired and frustrated do like me and play a record.

I'm not seeing how to set up the tags.

Now all my folders with all my movies ISO and AVHD are under Video and files but oddly my F drive folder only shows one movie but there are many and all are ISO files.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 05:14:40 pm »

Ken

When I added the My ISO view it had all movies ISO and AVHD and when applied the rules like you suggested it goes blank all videos are removed including ISOs.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »

After adding the rules " My ISO - is - ISO" and the view went blank I get no files selected under tags

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

You need to tag first!!

It's all good.

I think we need to clarify what you are after. You are looking to create a view that only certain files will show up in correct?

The set rules for file display I suggested "MY ISO - is - ISO" will show just the files that you have put "ISO" in the custom tag you made "MY ISO".

If you have not typed in ISO in the MY ISO tag then nothing will be displayed in the view with that rule. As soon as you populate the MY ISO tag with ISO it will show up.

Go to a view that you can see all your files, click on one to highlight it and then click the Tag button in the Action Window in the lower left. It will show the tags associated with the file.
Find your MY ISO tag, type ISO in the box.

The custom field you created doesn't automatically know what files are ISOs or anything else. It is just a Field you created. Tag files with ISO, BLURAY movie, BLAH BLAH, for your MY ISO field. then you could set rules for MY ISO - is - Blah Blah....

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »

OK so I highlighted the 1st movie in the view clicked the tag and only movie info is present. does not look like your screen grab and no where of me to tag it ISO.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »

You could of named your custom field "My Field" is does not matter. Naming them with something you will remember does. The field does not do anything automatically, it just gives you a place to set custom tags for your files.

Once the field is made you can populate it with anything you want. I did see that you put ISO in the  Acceptable values box, but you could of left that blank so you could enter different values in it.

You could tag a file's MY ISO field with ISO, DVD, Bluray, MKV or anything.
Then set the rules for different view like this.

View 1: MY ISO - is - ISO
View 2: MY ISO - is - DVD
View 3: My ISO - is- Bluray
ect....

Once you see how it works it opens a whole new world for views.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 05:45:20 pm »

OK so I highlighted the 1st movie in the view clicked the tag and only movie info is present. does not look like your screen grab and no where of me to tag it ISO.

Right click in the tag window and select "Show all tags"..

You're almost there!!!  ;D

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 06:11:54 pm »

I don’t know if I’m going to get it.

I’m assuming that once I get the tagging thing understood. I will need to go through every movie on each of my drives ISO and AVHD and tag each one and it will put it in the correct view because of the tag.

It just seems way too complicated. I didn’t have to do any of this before. My AVHD movies all BD5 and BD9 filled the Video tab and by simply adding to the folder any new movies they would end up in the view. I would have to connect the computer to the net to get any movie info but that was easy. All the BD25 movies were saved as ISO files so I could keep them separate and I just went to the documents with no movie info and clicked on it there to watch it uncompressed in BD25 format with HD audio.

For some reason only my F drive folder was shown in the documents tap. That is how I got started last night.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 06:23:28 pm »

Here’s an issue that does not make since. You can see under files in my F drive HD audio folder only one movie comes up. You go to the documents tab and the all there but only from the F drive. If I could get the G drive HD audio folder to show up in the documents I would be good. As I have been for several years. I don’t know if it’s from me upgrading from 18 to 19 somehow prevented my G drive from showing up in the documents tab

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 06:24:12 pm »

Yes you would have to tag all your files. What about rule "Filetype - is - ISO". Select Filetype from drop down.

You can select 100 files and then click tag and populate your MY ISO tag all at once.

Ken

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 06:30:45 pm »

Thanks for the screen shots, that helped. ISO files are treated as Data files, not Video files, that is why they are not showing up under Video - Files. The parent rule for the Video tab is "Media Type - Is - Video", so your Data files (ISOs) will never show up there.

Ken

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »

I did a system restore to get me back where I was before I merged my 2 video types yesterday. Now all I have to do is figureout why my documents tab only has the Fdrive.

Nope that didn't work MC remembered all that I did.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »

MC makes regular Library backups, you can restore a library backup.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »

Ken I owe you a pot of coffee. :)

I tried what I thought would be a brain storm. I double clicked on the now blank view to add files to the library. I tried to import jkust the files I want but it did not do anything. :'(

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »

I will admit, I do not use ISO files so I am not the best person to advise you on them. If your files show up under Documents - files, they are already imported (as in the database).

As I said I do not think they will show up under Video, but I am not sure. You could try a test by right clicking the Video tab and select customize view. Go to the "Set rules for file display". You should see "Media Type - is - Video". If you click the down arrow next to Video you can select ISO also. This will let your ISOs show up under Video.

Ken

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 07:04:29 pm »

I'm about to do a complete reinstall of MC 19 but I know there will be a whole bunch of settings
 that will get undone. So how to I repopulate my Library?

Right now something stops it.

Why can't I just tell each view the file types I want. It's either ISO for BD25 or BDMV for BD5 &9 or IFO for DVDs. Seems like that would make it simple.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »

I am drawing a blank when I get to what to type in for each tag. I'm just not smart enough I guess.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 07:17:22 pm »

There's no need to apologize.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 07:18:52 pm »

I'm about to do a complete reinstall of MC 19 but I know there will be a whole bunch of settings
 that will get undone. So how to I repopulate my Library?
Reinstalling shouldn't make a difference.

If you want to, back up your library first, then restore it after you install.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »

Ok...

Lets try one more thing...

Right click Documents, select Add Library View,  in this order: click File Type and in the Name field put BD25 and click OK.

Now you have a new view call BD25. Right click it and choose Customize Display then ....Set rules for file display. There should be a rule already there "Media type - Is - Data". Click Add new Rule. From the drop down of the new rule select File Type from the drop down - is - then check ISO from the last drop down.

See what that does.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 07:55:52 pm »

OK that gave me a new view under documents this has all the ISO but only from the F drive. Is there a way to import the folder from my G drive?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 08:01:24 pm »

What kind of files are on your g drive?

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 08:04:21 pm »

The same ISO and in other folders BDMV and IFO files

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 08:09:28 pm »

So File - Library - Import

Import a single folder
Next

I would check Video & Data and see what you get.You can also expand Data with the little arrow and only check Disc Image if you want.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »

Also I see where under video where all my BDMV movies have always been in a view titled Movies under files I can highlight and delete all the ISO movies from this view. It defaults me to a delete and send to recycle bin. Is this the option I want? Will this permanently remove it only from this view?

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »

Thanks Ken I did that and under import summary it looks at all my file and imports none. taking 0.0 seconds

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 08:20:25 pm »

NO!! That will delete them and put them in the recycle bin.

If the files show up there they are in the Library, deleting them is well deleting them. You can remove them from MC, but why??? The Views do not hold files, They are just showing you the files in that are in the Library (think database) different ways. The files are physically on your hard drives, the library is just kind of a list of shortcuts to them.

Ken

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 08:22:01 pm »

Are the files you are trying to import visible in that other view?

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 09:00:23 pm »

OK I’m nearly there. I figured out that Video, then Files I am able to see all the movies in the Gdrive and I highlighted and sent all the ISO files in G drive to a new play list I created “BD25” I then under documents highlighted and sent all the ISO files in the F drive to the same BD25 play list.

Here’s the problem and it’s a small but all the ISO files from the G drive have movie info imported. The F drive ISO files from the documents do not. I can live with this but it would be nice if all had movie info.

Ken coffee hell I want to buy you a beer!!!

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 09:13:09 pm »

I am not sure but I think MC can determine what type of file an ISO is, so if it thinks it is a Video file it can pull the Movie info. If it treats it like an data file it will not go out and scrape that info. That is why I am not a big fan of ISO. When I originally starting digitizing my movie collection I also used ISOs, but I am more than happy ripping to MKVs now for various reasons.

MC is a great program, and once you tinker with it for a while it can do amazing things in my opinion, it does not need a certain folder structure and with proper tagging customized views are pretty limitless.

PS... I am a whiskey man, beer gives me a headache!

Ken

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »

The wierd thing is that it did to the ISO files in the G drive.

The things I have figured out have been great. I love the DSP audio settings with the room correction and delay settings for each channel. Because I'm analog I never had those options from another player at any price.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 09:23:51 pm »

If you right click on one of the files and select Get Movie and TV Info does it do it?

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 09:34:33 pm »

No what seemed to have happened is through all this at some point today it gave the option to retrieve all the movie info for the G drive’s ISO files and it saved it as a MC file. None of the other files have them unless it in one of the BDMV folders.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 11:13:56 pm »

So files that can not have tags saved in the files themselves,  have the tags saved in a sidecar file.

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up