INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 and MC20 different Guide processing  (Read 3859 times)

crawfofd

• World Citizen
MC19 and MC20 different Guide processing
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:37 am »

Just want to say that I really like the new MC20 and am waiting for all the great new improvements.  I am having one problem and I dont know if I'm just doing something wrong. In MC19 I could have both OTA(atsc) channels and CableCard channels show up in guide but with MC20 it only allows for one and it removes the other.  Does this have something to do with stacking?  Any help would be appreciated.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC19 and MC20 different Guide processing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:47 am »

Stacking of channels exist in MC19 as well.  There is no difference.

If you stack (group) channels, only one channel of a stack/group appear in the Guide.  That is the whole point of stacking the channels.  The other reason for a channel not appearing in the Guide is that there is no program associated with the channel.  The automatic loading of programs only happens on one set of channels.  If your last manual loading was for CableCARD channels, then the ATSC channels may no longer have programs loaded.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:18:31 am »

Does this mean I need to load two seperate guide loads. One for the cablecard and one for the ATSC?

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:39:49 am »

Yaobing, just some more info.  I have a schedules direct acct and it has two lineups. One for comcast and one for ota.  Is there a way to get both of them into mc20?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:29:30 am »

As the moment, there is no way of automatically load programming guide for more than one channel lineup. 

For your case, the best approach would be to group your channels since cable companies do carry local over-the-air programming.  For example, you can group each of your ATSC channels with the corresponding HD cable channel.  While you are at it, you can also hide all the channels that carry the SD version of the programs.  MC will automatically choose an available tuner, either ATSC or CableCARD.

That said, I see maybe there is value in trying to load programs for multiple channel lineups.  We will consider implementing it.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:54:52 pm »

Yaobing,
Thanks for your reply. I would definately like to be able to load both guides automatically.  I did get it to work by first loading the cable guide then running the ASTC guide download.  Is there a reason not to do that?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:09:44 pm »

Is there a reason not to do that?

Not really.  But if I wanted to find some reasons, they would be:

1. We believe that most people do not run both types of tuners.

2. For people who run both types, channel grouping can be used.  :)

I will implement this capability.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:44:05 pm »

Thanks for your support and great product.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:15 pm »

I will implement this capability.

While you are working in that area Yaobing, could you consider the use case where a User may wish to change some setting using the existing dialogues, for example the time an automatic load should take place, but NOT run an EPG load?

I am using EPG Collector and did a lot of testing and setting up, and wanted to test the automatic load as this process wasn't always running when expected, and it appeared to handle error messages differently to running a load manually. That is, when run manually EPG Collector logged an error, but still produced an EPG XML file and MC loaded that file. When run automatically as per the daily time setting, EPG Collector logged the same error message, but MC did not load the XML file. Presumably because EPG Collector had returned an error.

In the end it was a data issue and not a MC or EPG Collector issue, but EPGC runs were taking at least 20 minutes because it was waiting for an error time out. So every time I wanted to change parameters and set the run time to the near future to test how it ran automatically, I had a long wait. That is, I needed to process two runs for each new set of parameters; one when I changed the parameter, and one automatically at the new set time.

For testing and setup, or even just changing the time of the run for any reason, the ability to change parameters and run time to the near future, then let MC do the EPG run as scheduled, would have been a big benefit. Perhaps if completing the dialogues did not perform a run automatically, but included on the last dialogue window was an "Ok" button to just save the changes, and a "Run Now" button to save and run the EPG ?

Also, as the OTA EPG here in Australia is pretty unreliable, I could also use the ability to load multiple XML files from multiple sources within a day, or even from the same source but in a different run with different parameters. Each run would then need to have a parameter in MC to define whether the Guide should be cleared before the load, or if this run should add to the data already there.

There are a lot of other improvements I would like to see in the EPG handling area, like using OTA Now and Next or CRID data to modify recording start and end times, by monitoring that data continuously. The ability to add recordings to MC on the fly from a remote location using tools provided by a third party EPG provider. (Have a look at what IceTV in Australia offer in their services. http://www.icetv.com.au/ ) but I'll save those thoughts for another time.

Oh, I would like to know just what data MC can handle in XML files though. Fields and formats, for such things as Repeat Flags, Series Number, Movie/TV Program tags, and a lot of stuff that I haven't researched. That would help me decide whether to continue with the OTA EPG using EPG Collector, or use another, better quality source.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away. Poor quality EPG is a big issue in Australia. Very frustrating.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:24:36 pm »

Just want to say that I really like the new MC20 and am waiting for all the great new improvements.  I am having one problem and I dont know if I'm just doing something wrong. In MC19 I could have both OTA(atsc) channels and CableCard channels show up in guide but with MC20 it only allows for one and it removes the other.  Does this have something to do with stacking?  Any help would be appreciated.

Having both ATSC and CableCard in the guide has worked a long time. All you to do setup CableCard first having it showing in the guide and the do ATSC channel scan an load the guide, choose keep existing and you will get both ATSC and Cablecard. In my case I have for example Comcast and a roof top Antenna

My guide show

8  PBS CCard SD
8.1 PBS ATSC HD
8.2 PBS ATS SD

I have not tried MC 20.010 or 20.012 yet, have paid for the upgrade.. I am kind of waiting to know if the issue with not fully releasing channels on SiliconDust HD Prime is resolved.

Currently I am actually watching TV with an extender as try as I might I can not get video out of the graphics card to match the image quality of the extender.. Even with madVR.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »

Gtgray, I have discovered that your way of doing the epg downloads works for me. I am currently using 20.010 so it does work. Thanks for your info.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:46 pm »

Gtgray, I have another question for you. What extender are you using?
Pages: [1]   Go Up