INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STB Setup - Can't Detect IR Blaster  (Read 9730 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
STB Setup - Can't Detect IR Blaster
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »

I have two HD-PVRs, but right now I'm only trying to get MC going with one of them.  I'll tackle the other later.  The second one is turned off and disconnected.

So, remaining I have one HD-PVR and a USB-UIRT blaster.  When I go to set up MC to scan for channels, I get nothing at all under the dropdowns for Blaster.  The USB-UIRT does work properly in SageTV, currently, and has all drivers installed.

What do I do?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: STB Setup - Can't Detect IR Blaster
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:24 pm »

Tried again tonight.  Same result.

Also, with my second HD-PVR attached, I can only choose the appropriate input (Component/Composite/S-Video) for one of the two.  The other also has the "empty" drop down box just like the IR Blaster related boxes.

In a related question... Does MC support the blaster built into the HD-PVR?  I have a USB-UIRT which I want to use for one of the two STBs.  And I need to control the second.  I'm pretty sure MC doesn't support the multi-zone functionality of the USB-UIRT (though if so, please tell me how, because that would be preferable) so I want to use the HD-PVRs integrated blaster to control the second STB.

As I said, I'm not there yet on the dual tuners (my second cable box is misbehaving right now and can't be used anyway).  I've been testing this with the second HD-PVR both connected and disconnected without any luck.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »

I should mention, I'm on 20.0.11.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:38:54 pm »

That's not a public build yet.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:44 pm »

That's not a public build yet.

Yeah, sorry.  I don't know that it is relevant at all, though.  I just wanted to distinguish between MC20 and MC19, mostly (and be honest about which version I was using - practice what you preach and all that).  I can try with 20.0.10 again if you want, but that only seems warranted if it is likely something changed.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »

In a related question... Does MC support the blaster built into the HD-PVR? 

I have never been able to get mine to work (Hauppauge Colossus). MC doesn't recognize it.  I haven't tried in a year or so, but I couldn't get it to work.

I have a USB-UIRT which I want to use for one of the two STBs.  And I need to control the second.  I'm pretty sure MC doesn't support the multi-zone functionality of the USB-UIRT (though if so, please tell me how, because that would be preferable) so I want to use the HD-PVRs integrated blaster to control the second STB.

I have the standard MCE Blaster and MC supports both ports.  I am controlling two boxes with one USB IR transceiver

I have had problems with MC recognizing my blaster when I have eventghost running.  EG installs a service that needs to be stopped before I can teach MC the ir codes.  I don't know if you use EG or if something else is causing the problem, but I thought I would mention it.

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »

We do not support Hauppauge's IR blaster because we do not know how to control it.  It would be nice to support it.

Also, with my second HD-PVR attached, I can only choose the appropriate input (Component/Composite/S-Video) for one of the two.  The other also has the "empty" drop down box just like the IR Blaster related boxes.

The list should not be empty, if the device has those inputs.  Did you try making an analog (cable) channel scan (even if the device has no tuner)?  A long time ago that was what was needed in order to get the inputs to show up.  But now you really should not need to do it, but it might help.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »

So, remaining I have one HD-PVR and a USB-UIRT blaster.  When I go to set up MC to scan for channels, I get nothing at all under the dropdowns for Blaster.  The USB-UIRT does work properly in SageTV, currently, and has all drivers installed.

Just remembered something.  Did you enable USB-UUIRT in Tools > Options > Remote Control > Devices & Options?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:13:05 pm »

Just remembered something.  Did you enable USB-UUIRT in Tools > Options > Remote Control > Devices & Options?

Nope.  I hadn't.  I use the USB-UIRT exclusively for blasting channel changes.  My remotes, wherever used, are RF.  Though I think my current Firefly is dying, and they're hard to get now, so I might be switching over to a Logitech here soon.

I'll try that.

For an improvement suggestion: Best not to assume the user has done this, or even wants to use the USB-UIRT for remote control.  I'm mildly concerned now that if I turn it on, stray IR commands could do weird things in MC (though probably not, since I won't "teach" it anything).  In any case, I'd have previously had no cause to turn it on, or even visit the Remote Control section (and I'm probably not alone, with solutions like Gizmo and JRemote in addition to other methods).

If required that's fine, but it should be suggested or explained in the Scanning Wizard thing or somewhere in there.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:43 pm »

We do not support Hauppauge's IR blaster because we do not know how to control it.  It would be nice to support it.

This might help:

Hauppauge has a new SDK available for .NET applications. The SDK simplifies the development of TV applications in .NET. The SDK makes it easy for applications to perform functions like querying the available channels, start watching a channel in an application supplied window, pause/play, adjust volume, display OSD graphics, record live tv to a file, etc.

The SDK is provided under NDA and can be requested at support@hauppauge.com or sdk@hauppauge.co.uk

The "configuration utility" for the IR Blaster is "part of" WinTV (though you can install it separately, it installs to the WinTV Program Files folder).  So, the SDK might have stuff about the blaster in it too.

There's also this, which people on the MythTV forums have pointed to for manually configuring it under Linux:
http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/lmilk/IRcodesets.html

The same guy who hosts that, seems to have developer LIRC, which is used by MythTV to access the HD-PVRs blaster.  I think LIRC is open source, so you might be able to dig in there and figure it out:
http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:25 pm »

Okay... That solved the USB-UIRT detection.

Now to figure out the lack of a drop down choice for Component for the HD-PVR (one of the two, but the "wrong" one, it happens).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:46:56 pm »

Hmmm... Well, it sort-of worked.  It'll tune single-digit channel.  I tried tuning 511 (HBO) and that ended me up with channel 5.

I'll re-do the learning process one more time (this is try 15 or so).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:40:31 am »

Okay... I've played with it a bunch now.  I can't get it to type some of the digits.

I've re-done the USB-UIRT setup a bunch of times, but I get... 5, 6, 9.  Maybe 3, but not all of them.  I also continue to have issues with multiple digit channels, though this could be because some of the digits don't work (I just got it to tune to 55 and 555, but 511 doesn't work because 1 doesn't work).

Suggestions?

I have a Motorola DCT6200 cable box.  This box is a simple one (no built-in DVR or other nonsense) and is quite common.  At least up here in Time Warner-land, but I know from online forums that they're common elsewhere, and widely considered "one of the good ones".

In Sage (and NextPVR from what I'm reading) it is one of the easily configured pre-sets, and I just pick it from a drop-down.  I didn't have to configure anything manually, but I know it has a bunch of options in there.  One thing I did note was different is that Sage blasts out preceeding zeros if I'm tuning to a low-number (it always blasts three digits).

But that doesn't help me here because I can't blast 1 reliably.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:41 am »

Maybe it is the duration of pause between blasts?  Too short maybe.  This is not configurable for now.  I have put it on my list to make it configurable.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:59 am »

That's probably good to add, but that won't help here.  I can't tune to channel 7, for example, or any channel that includes a 7.

If anything like that, it is more likely to be the repeat count.  As I said, the blast duration under Sage is quite a bit longer.  More blinking on the UIRT.  I'm thinking each numerical blast is too short.

It's possible my emitter isn't perfectly aligned, since it is impossible to tell where to put it for sure.  But the same gear works fine under Sage so I know it isn't just hardware.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »

Has anyone been able to get the usb-uirt to work with mc20.  I have tried numerous times but no joy. I can recognize the usb-irt device and it even lets me program the set top box numbers 0-9, but when I try to use it it gives me random results.  For 152 I get 111552222 sometimes 115552222. Have uninstalled and reinstalled it many times.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 12:42:56 am »

I'm getting similar results.

I've re-taught MC how to do the IR blasting with it multiple times and I finally got it mostly working.  It still doesn't tune 100% accurately, but it does now (at least) usually send all of the numbers.

So, you can beat on it and make it better.  But wait...

Yaobing said this to me privately earlier today (sorry, Yaobing, hope you don't mind but it was relevant):

I went ahead with ordering an USB-UIRT device, but was surprised that it took so long for them to fill the order and ship it.  For all this time I have been waiting for it to come.  It will arrive in the next couple of days I think.

I will start working on it as soon as I receive the device.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:21 am »

Yaobing said this to me privately earlier today (sorry, Yaobing, hope you don't mind but it was relevant):

No problem at all.  I was going to reply and say I just got the device last night.  Will look into the issue.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:46:31 am »

Thanks glynor and yaobing for your quick responses.  Will wait for your repy Yaobing.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 06:06:01 pm »

I have made some discovery.  Even though I have no good solution yet, I eventually made my device work.

Firstly, if this is not your only remote receiver (I already have an MCE remote control that I use to control MC, and I did not remove it), you must point your STB remote control at the USB-UIRT receiver in order for it to learn anything.  This should be obvious, but I initially tried aiming it at my MCE remote receiver and it did not work at all.  LOL.

Secondly, do not press any number button repeatedly as the instruction says.  This device requires a stead hold on the button for a few seconds.  If you press the button repeatedly, it learns repeated code.  That is the reason some of you are getting 555511110000 for channel 510.  To let it learn a number button, hold the STB remote control close to the USB-UIRT receiver (about 1 inch) and press the number button firmly and hold it, until MC says it has been learned.

Thirdly, even with firmly holding the button without repeatedly pressing it, some buttons are learned incorrectly.  You need to try each button and make notes on them.  Then go back to TV Options and click "Setup IR Emitter for STB channels...", where it will run the IR wizard again.  If a button has already learned its code correctly, do not try to let it re-learn, as doing so may mess it up.  Just press the Next button to skip it.  Skip until you find the number that you need to re-do learning, and press that number steadily and hold it. 

You may have to do the third step a few times because sometimes a button gets messed up inexplicably  :(

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:10 pm »

As the device's IR blaster is on the device itself, where you place the device may be an issue too.  It seems that the blaster is quite strong and you may be able to put is a little distance from your STB.  You have to experiment with it.

Another thing I found about this device: even though it is said to have three IR ports, two on the device, one external.  In MC's wizard only one port is present.  I will have to figure that one out too.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:00 pm »

Thanks Yaobing for your response. I will try to do what you have done.
For future it would be nice to be able to manually input codes.

Also any chance that we could get to interface with Global itach flex. These are ir emitters that are controlled via ip. Very nice and easy to use.    ]http://www.globalcache.com/products/itachflex

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 08:58:23 am »

Yaobing,  Tried doing usb-uirt setup according to your post numerous times but was not able to get it to work properly.  Still getting multiple outputs of same number. (111122555 for 125). Tried switching the repeat

Here is my setup, maybe it will help.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 16gb Ram, Nvidia gtx750ti
Running MC 20.0.17
Ceton xfinity 4 pcie internal cable card reader with comcast xfinity
Hauppauge Colossus internal card (Used for set top box recording of encrypted channels only)
Xfinity XR2 remote.

I can change the stb using Global Itach Flex. I use the same process as with the flex as I did with MC20.
Used the remote to learn the codes with the flex then I transmitted those codes through the flex to my stb and it works properly.

Maybe I need to clear out all the old settings. Is there a way to clear the settings for the usb-uirt only?

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 09:29:43 am »

It seems that the blaster is quite strong and you may be able to put is a little distance from your STB. 

A long time a go, with a completely different system, I had an issue with ir blaster strength and I found that if I put a piece of blue painter's tape of the receiver, it helped.  I know this probably is a stretch, but I thought I would throw it out there.  It seems to have enough opacity to 'mute' the signal, without completely blocking it.  Pretty cheap and easy thing to try.

Alex

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

eapool, Thanks for the reply.  That would work if it was the signal but it is system sending the codes that is wrong. I have used the same usb-uirt and computer with a different program and it works fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 12:16:40 am »

Secondly, do not press any number button repeatedly as the instruction says.  This device requires a stead hold on the button for a few seconds.  If you press the button repeatedly, it learns repeated code.  That is the reason some of you are getting 555511110000 for channel 510.  To let it learn a number button, hold the STB remote control close to the USB-UIRT receiver (about 1 inch) and press the number button firmly and hold it, until MC says it has been learned.

Thirdly, even with firmly holding the button without repeatedly pressing it, some buttons are learned incorrectly.  You need to try each button and make notes on them.  Then go back to TV Options and click "Setup IR Emitter for STB channels...", where it will run the IR wizard again.  If a button has already learned its code correctly, do not try to let it re-learn, as doing so may mess it up.  Just press the Next button to skip it.  Skip until you find the number that you need to re-do learning, and press that number steadily and hold it.  

You may have to do the third step a few times because sometimes a button gets messed up inexplicably  :(

This is essentially what I did to beat mine into submission.  I did note, immediately, that I had to press-and-hold to learn (which is what all other software I'd used with any IR Blaster had instructed me to do, so I was more surprised and confused by your instructions than anything).

I wasn't sure about the skipping thing, so that's good to know.  I just re-did mine over and over until I finally got a good, or mostly good "run".  See why I was displeased with the IR Blaster learning process?  Those need to be all on one page, at the least.  I have some other ideas here as well.

One other problem I've noted is that I'm not getting reliable multi-digit blasting.  So, even though my blaster can "tune" a single 5, and a single 1, and even 55, 51, 15, and other permutations, when I try to do 551 or 511, it doesn't always work (and I end up with 51 or whatever).

Also, fwiw, my cable box behaves nicer if you're able to hit "enter" or "ok" after typing in a channel number, which your setup doesn't allow.  That's been an (advanced, not part of the wizard) option for my setup for many, many years as far back as BeyondTV 2, I believe.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 12:20:18 am »

I'll also note that I only use the little emitters I have, and not the actual box to do tuning.  I use the box only as a "display" and for learning purposes.

What I've generally liked about the USB-UIRT is that it has always been very stable and reliable.  I very rarely have tuning issues with my setup on SageTV.  Essentially never (my HD-PVRs are less reliable, unfortunately).

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 05:50:57 am »

Glynor,
 It's good to see someone from sagetv in this forum. I am a recent (3months) convert to MC. I am currently using both systems and am trying very hard to convert everything to MC because it is actively being developed. It is a very tedious venture.  As far as the usb-uirt I also have used it with sagetv with no problems. MC is a different story. The problem is that there is no way to tell if MC read the code right. In other programs that I have used the program verifies its a good code and displays it. MC gives you a tone regardless if it is good or not and you have no way to check it.
Hopefully Yaobing will find a solution.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 05:34:22 pm »

Improvements to the PVR functionality are a focus of MC20 as development progresses.  Expect to see some changes here, particularly with initial setup.

type1fan

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 06:49:39 pm »

I'm having a similar issue.  I'm using an MCE IR blaster on a Comcast DTA.  Everything worked perfectly fine on Windows Media Center under Win8.1 but I'm upgrading to Win10 and need a replacement.  I have set up the remote and the blaster and it "appears" to broadcast the correct channel to the DTA but it won't change channels.  I'm using an Avermedia USB tuner just to get channel 3 and using the DTA to change channels.  I've repositioned the blaster all over the face of the DTA (which I doubt is the issue since it works fine in WMC.  I've adjusted the timing (also doubt that it's the issue because it won't even change to single digit channels. 

Anything else I can try?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 08:39:52 pm »

Anything else I can try?
Well you are in the right forum, TV Cards and TV, so that is a good start.

There have been a few threads recently about getting a Blaster to work. One of them was particularly good with lots of input from Yaobing, the main developer of TV functionality. I think it was this one: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91939.0

But if not, just search this forum for "Blaster", and maybe posts written by Yaobing. You should find a bunch of information to help.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

type1fan

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:02 am »

I was making a stupid mistake.  I was using the MCE remote instead of the STB remote when teaching the unit.  Once I switched to the STB remote, all works well.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:07 am »

Those are the kind of fixes Yaobing likes  ;D

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 10:36:31 am »

;D

I am glad you got it working.  I once made the same mistake myself.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 10:10:08 pm »

My Hauppage Blaster just stopped working with MC21...
Restarted MC21 and it now works....

type1fan

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »

Ok.....now that "almost" everything is working, I have another question.  I set up the schedule guide to download automatically over EPG, area code 23803, Comcast Petersburg and it appears that it downloads the channels and assigns them into the identifier file but when I go back to watch the program lineup I get an error saying the program guide file is not valid, or does not contain any program information for the channels in your channel list.   Screen shot included......

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »

Ok.....now that "almost" everything is working, I have another question.  I set up the schedule guide to download automatically over EPG, area code 23803, Comcast Petersburg and it appears that it downloads the channels and assigns them into the identifier file but when I go back to watch the program lineup I get an error saying the program guide file is not valid, or does not contain any program information for the channels in your channel list.   Screen shot included......

Are you using MC21?  Choose mc2xml option when setting up EPG.

"Download EPG automatically" option no longer works because Microsoft made changes that prevented it from working in MC.  It may appear to be working, but the data downloaded are incomplete, and we are getting less and less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up