INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from MC18 - Problems & Solutions  (Read 2439 times)

Phil_C

• Recent member
Upgrade from MC18 - Problems & Solutions
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »

[Edit by JimH -- please read my first post below before you try these instructions.]

I just updatedfrom MC18 and I want to share my experience in case it may help other updaters.

When I purchased MC20 (Windows version), a JRiver email explained to download the executable update file and double click it to install.  Because I already use MC18 on the same computer, I expected that the options and settings would be carried over to MC20 as part of the update.

MC20 was installed but I opened MC20 and saw that the Main Library I had used in MC18 was missing.  This is my 16,626 music file library stored on a 2TB external USB drive and designated as G: drive.   There was a different Main Library in MC20 with fewer music files and a combination of songs stored on the C: drive and podcasts from an iTunes folder stored on the G: drive.

I found JRiver Wiki instructions under the topic: Import, sub topic: Fully Automatic First Use Scan, ...

Another instruction stated:  “The process of adding media to your Library is called Importing and is generally the first thing you'll do with a new copy of Media Center. Importing is simply the process of telling Media Center about the files, and adding them to this database. Importing is non-destructive to your files…”

Auto-Import didn’t find most of my music files.  Here’s how I fixed the Main Library.  It involved clearing the Main Library then importing the correct music files, as follows:

On the left side of the MC20 main screen,

Click Playing Now.

Click Playing From Main Library.

Click Main Library, and Library Tools view appears.

Click Clear Library. (This will remove media file pointers from the library, but will not delete the actual files from the hard drive.)

A confirm delete button appears along with a reassuring “This will not delete your media files.”

Click Clear Library to confirm.

There may be a more elegant way to clear, but this way worked for me.

The final step is to rebuild the Main Library with my music files which I keep all under a folder named iTunes Music on the USB external G: drive. This folder contains a subfolder tree by Artist, Album, and Song.

If the Library Tools screen is still visible (if not visible, jump to instructions several lines below):

Click Import.

Click Import a Single Folder.

Click Next and a search box appears.

I typed in G:\iTunes\iTunes Music. (You can browse to the location instead by clicking the browse button.)

Click Finish.

Importing begins and displays a progress counter. It took about 10 minutes to complete.    

If the Library Tools screen is no longer visible:

Click File, click Library, and click Import (in the main menu at the top of the screen), then follow the same steps as above.

The Main Library was rebuilt, but under Tools, Options, Audio (in the main menu at the top of the screen), it was set to Default Audio Device, Direct Sound.  Because I have a DAC connected to the computer and I use WASAPI driver, I changed this to point to DAC and WASAPI, a choice listed in a drop down menu.

Next, I checked to make sure the settings were correct under Tools, Options, File Location.  I had to fix one setting here.

I use an iPad with the JRemote app to remotely control JRiver Media Center. It was working great in MC18, but updating to MC20 broke the connection.  I fixed this by going to Tools, Options, Media Network, and clicked “Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA.” This generated an access key that got input into JRemote and it connected to MC20.

One lesson I learned to try to avoid potential Auto-Import problems in the next update is I’ll stop Auto-Import from running in the 45 second window of time allowed for doing so, and then do the import manually.  Or another way is to stop Auto-Import and then set Auto-Import up at Tools, Import, Configure Auto-Import. Then run Auto-Import at Tools, Import, Run Auto-Import.

Phil_C

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrade from MC18 - Problems & Solutions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:37:24 pm »

I shortened your post.

MC20 should find and use your old library.  I can't explain why it didn't do so for you.

MC20 will restore settings from MC19, but not from older versions. 

You could probably have backed up in MC18 and restored in MC20 to get your library back.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 04:39:57 pm »

MC20 should find and use your old library.  I can't explain why it didn't do so for you.
It seems like it doesn't happen if you are using a Standard User account rather than an Administrator account on the system.
Since the installer requires administrative privileges it checks the Administrator's files rather than your user account.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:42:25 pm »

Well, worst case you can just export the library in MC18 and then restore it in MC20, which will avoid any troubles with importing again.
As Jim pointed out, settings migration is however only supported from the previous version, as that would otherwise get out of hand for us to handle.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Phil_C

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 05:58:36 pm »

Thanks JimH for your comments.  You said:

You could probably have backed up in MC18 and restored in MC20 to get your library back.

That sounds easier than what I did.  I don't have experience with that, so I'll read up a bit on how to do it.

Phil_C

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:01:00 pm »

MC makes automatic backups.  Backup and restore are under File/Library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up