INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible bug with using the [User] field to filter views and searches  (Read 1081 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I'll concede that this may potentially be user error (no pun intended), but the [User] field doesn't seem to work correctly for me when used as a basis for filtering smartlists or library views.  

For instance, if I "set rules for file display" in a library view with  "[User] is Name" (i.e. [User] = Name), none of the files tagged with Name as a user show up.  This seems to affect both library views and smartlists.  A RegEx() of the User field searching on Name produces correct outputs, but I haven't actually figured out a way to successfully filter a view based on the [User] tag (other than creating a special purpose tag and populating it via regex).

All other library fields seem to work normally for me when used to filter views or smartlists.  Am I just missing something obvious?  

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Possible bug with using the [User] field to filter views and searches
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:01:46 pm »

Make sure you're using it right:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

I wrote that Wiki article, and everything related was thoroughly tested.  If anything doesn't work that way, I suspect you found a bug (or they sneakily changed something and no one noticed).

Take special care to note this in the Files to Show section:

As a warning, these two items can exclude one another. So, using my example above where I assigned ABBA to the Kids and Snuggle Bunny users. If the Kids user has a search like the one above, and ABBA was classified as [Media Sub Type] == Adult, then the Kids still wouldn't see the files even if you (perhaps accidentally) assigned those files to them.

In this way, it is possible to hide some files from all users, so be a bit careful. If the files in question are assigned to only a particular user, and that user has a filter in Files to Show that prevents them from seeing those files, then no one but the Administrator would be able to see the files.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:39:23 pm »

Make sure you're using it right:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

I wrote that Wiki article, and everything related was thoroughly tested.  If anything doesn't work that way, I suspect you found a bug (or they sneakily changed something and no one noticed).

Take special care to note this in the Files to Show section:

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I was trying to achieve. I wasn't trying to shape what a specific user sees using the "Files to Show" dialog; that all works as described in the wiki (and thanks again for the nice article!).  

I was trying to create a regular library view that would be available to all users that would filter based on user tag information.  For convenience, I was trying to create views that show what I've tagged for different users so that I could look at them from my Administrator user, and users could see what was tagged for them. Most of my files are tagged with multiple users (I have a "guest" user that overlaps a lot), so I wanted views that would show files tagged to different users without having to switch users.  

Any attempt to filter regular views or smart lists using the [User] tag seems to return no files, even though the files are otherwise visible to the users in question.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:26:17 pm »

Gotcha. I don't know if the user field can be used like a normal field.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:36:23 pm »

Gotcha. I don't know if the user field can be used like a normal field.

It's available as an option in the pulldowns for rule creation, so it gives the impression that it should work like any other field.  It just doesn't seem to actually work like a normal field. It would make my life easier if it did, but I can just create a custom duplicate field if I need to.  

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:55 pm »

It would make my life easier if it did, but I can just create a custom duplicate field if I need to.  

Does that work?

I'm thinking it has to do with how it stores and applies the user filters, probably based on a User ID or something.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »

Does that work?

I'm thinking it has to do with how it stores and applies the user filters, probably based on a User ID or something.

I was just trying the custom route because I thought it might work, but it doesn't seem to work consistently if I try to populate the field by calculating directly from [User], which is a drag.  Feeding [User] values through regex works in some contexts but not in others.

For example, sorting a library view by
Code: [Select]
regex([user], name) will sort the library into a 0 and a 1 category, and correctly gives me everything tagged with "name" in the 1 category, and everything else in the 0 category, which was encouraging.  But if I try to use that same regex string elsewhere it doesn't work.  For example, if I create a custom field and assign it that regex string as a calculated value, no files receive a 1 in the custom field (i.e. no matches).  Similarly, when creating a view, if I use the regex to filter what files to show as opposed to using it as a search term it likewise doesn't work.  

I'll probably just have to make a custom field and manually populate the fields unless there's some workaround I'm not seeing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up