INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regular freezing/ hanging on ripped movie play back  (Read 2284 times)

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
Regular freezing/ hanging on ripped movie play back
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:18:33 am »

hello all, im a long term user of jriver. I recently upgraded to a new windows 8 64 bit pc and NAS server. As the post title suggests, on ripped dvd playback movies will freeze after 20 or so minutes playback. Up to them freezing there's no indication anything is wrong. The only way out is through task manager. If i go back in and try to play the same movie again the same freezing thing happens immediately, but all other movies in my library will fine, until around 20 mins at which point they will freeze as well. After a reboot everything works fine, until the next freeze. I'm using the latest version of JRiver 20, have updated graphics drivers, network drivers, changed network cables, updated the nas server software (synology ds414), switched off all anti virus and firewall software and also shut down auto import but to no avail.

Music, dvd discs and blu ray rips work fine.

I've attached an error log and system details, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Regular freezing/ hanging on ripped movie play back
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:12:12 am »

You could try switching between Red October Standard and HQ in Options > Video.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:25:23 am »

Yep, that works, thanks Matt. Do you have any idea why though? My PC is pretty well speced- i7, 16gb of ddr 3 and running windows 8 64. Surely it should be quick enough to run red October HQ?

Cheers
John

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:06 am »

The built-in GPU you're using is not all that super fast. An i7 may be a fast CPU, but its GPU is still lacking for any serious work.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:32 am »

Yep, the second I posted it hit me usimg the internal gpu was probably the reason. At least it's a good excuse to buy some new kit! Cheers. John.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:49:48 am »

You can tweak the settings of RO HQ to some degree to reduce its performance requirements.

Check this page on the Wiki, but beware that it requires a bit of tinkering:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Madvr_expert_guide

Check under "Scaling Algorithms" for the things that impact performance the most.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:02:43 am »

Thanks Hendrick, there's only 1 thing better than buying new kit- and that's tinkering with stuff! On a broader topic, it's got me thinking though. How does DVD/ blu ray playback using RO HQ stack up against a dedicated blu ray/ dvd player? By which I mean, presumably even a top end dedicated player can't get close to competing with a hi spec PC with a decent graphics card's speed and processing power? Or another way of looking at it- how much would one have to spend on dedicated deck to see results comparable to DVD playback on a PC with JRiver and RO HQ? Off topic I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if the more techy adept people on the forum had a view.

cheers
John

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »

hello all, I've bumped this thread because I'm still having problems playing movies. I'm getting regular crashes and hangs, despite installing a new dedicated GPU. Weirdly Blu rays play fine, all the problems are with DVDs so I'm guessing it must be something to do with the up scaling DVDs require?

I'm getting problems even regular red October. I've tried the trouble shooting guide, updated all drivers and installed the latest version but I'm still getting crashes about 20 mins into DVDs.

I've attached the log, any help, suggestions or bright ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks
John

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 03:23:46 pm »

Unfortunately, the Log you uploaded doesn't contain a crash dump, and doesn't list a crash (and is missing the Previous Log file as well).  I can, however, see that you're running an older build of MC 20.  The version used to generate that Log was MC 20.0.20.  The current public version for Windows is MC 20.0.33.

Please update to the latest version first.  Then, try repeating the issue.  If it crashes, especially, then immediately re-open MC and generate the logging ZIP file.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

Hi Glynor, it's weird. I have been running the latest version but I can see on the log file it looks like i'm running an out of date version. See the attached screen shot vs. the attached log file. DVDs are still causing problems. The last one I played caused a freeze rather than crash. Thanks. John

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 06:57:04 am »

this is still happening

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 07:01:15 am »

... sorry, a bit premature. I meant to say. this is still happening, i'm at my wits end. It's not a network problem since I can run other application on the network at the same time JRiver is playing up, also the last few times it's happened the soundtrack of the movie will continue playing whilst the screen is frozen. Has anyone got any ideas? All drivers and software are up to date, despite the log showing me running an older version of JRiver. Thanks. John

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

this is till happening, every 10 to 15 minutes when I play a ripped DVD. See the log file attached. Thanks. John

johncaul

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 11:28:28 am »

this is still happening. I've tried playing directly from a DVD and it's still a problem, so it's nothing to do with the network or ripping. Playback is fine on my old snotter of an office PC, it's almost 10 years old and can play videos using ROHQ with no problems. When playing on my new windows 8 HTPC pc (i7, 16gb ddr 3 and GTX 750) any video play back will freeze after roughly 10 minutes, but the audio will continue playing. if I then stop playback and re-start it will work fine for another 10 mins or so. I've tried every combination of video settings. Even with HW acceleration at a minimum and RO at standard it still freezes. Video playback using VLC is fine, as are games and other applications. So i'm thinking there must be some kind of compatibility issue with windows 8 and jriver? I've tried removing and reinstalling JR 20 and even going back to JR 19 and I still get the same problem. All drivers and versions, etc are fully up to date. I'm completely tearing my hair out, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. John
Pages: [1]   Go Up