INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High DPI sizing problems  (Read 1745 times)

TedSmith

• Recent member
High DPI sizing problems
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:20:51 pm »

Howdy

My new laptop has a DPI of about 280.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro with the custom text size set to 225%.  I'm running JRiver MC 19.0.162 with the size set to 150%.

I'm not going to change my windows settings just for JRiver and with JRiver size set to 100% most of the text is too small to read comfortably (let alone clicking on the buttons, etc.)

To install JRiver (or was it to run JRiver for the first time?) I was forced to change my windows DPI to 100% and use the windows magnifier to answer install questions.  Without changing the windows DPI the install screen was completely unusable with problems like the OK, Cancel buttons out of view and no way to change the window size or scroll it, let alone all of the overlapping text and text boxes with only a few words at a time in them.

Here are some snapshots from various features:

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: High DPI sizing problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »

Windows 7 does not really support high DPI settings very well at all. I think only 100/125/150% were properly supported, but even then, poorly.
I would really suggest upgrading to Windows 8.1 when using a high DPI display.

That aside, set Media Center's font size to 4pt.
Tools → Options → Tree & View → Select Font…

Now set Media Center's scale to 200%. View → Size → 200%

Restart Media Center.

There is a bug in Media Center where Windows' DPI settings are applied to the font size, but not the rest of the UI.
This means that since you have Windows set to 225% (200% is likely to scale better, for what it's worth) the original 9pt text at 100% size, is being rendered at 30pt (3.4x size) while the UI is at 1.5x size with your current settings.

With the settings above, it should be scaled to 18pt with 2x size text and a 2x scale UI, which should look a lot better.

TedSmith

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »

Thank you, that does indeed look better.  An option bigger than 200 would be helpful, but using a font size of 5 and 200% is pretty good.  Yeh 225% in Windows isn't ideal, but at 200% there are too many scroll bars that I can't comfortably use with the mouse and the applications I care about look great at 225%.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:09:08 pm »

Media Center should support scaling up to 400% size - it does on OSX. (200% combined with the Retina Mode option)
I'm not sure why Windows only goes up to 200%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up