INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning flac files  (Read 4343 times)

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Burning flac files
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:43 am »

I am trying to burn 400MB of .flac lossles audio files onto a 700MB CD-R80.
Seems it does not fit.
Got this pop to either reduce the number of split things up.

Could this be correct?
Any suggestions?
I want to play back the cd on the cd-player in the livingroom and prefer to playback in the best quality, if possible.
Or should I convert them to .mp3 at -say-192kbps or so?

Thanks for any suggestions.

=

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Burning flac files
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:01:32 am »

Rule of thumb that I've seen around the traps is that flac compresses to about half cda. Your numbers back that up.

If quality is your bottom line, then burn to 2 discs.

;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:13 am »

Thank you. I let MC17 convert the files (a backup of the files) from .flac to .mp3, using MC17 mp3 encoder
and setting it to VBR Encoding "Extreme".
The filesize is reduced by roughly 70%, so:
fm 25.434.763 to 7.381.853 bytes
fm 28.868.727 to 8.599.350 bytes

Sorry, I am sure it is a Newbie question... regretfully I am not familiar with this kind of stuff, I hardly ever convert anything.

If I burn the CD based on flac covering 2CD's is it the converted back to .cda so that the player can 'read' and play the files?

=

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:48:44 pm »

Thank you. I let MC17 convert the files (a backup of the files) from .flac to .mp3, using MC17 mp3 encoder
and setting it to VBR Encoding "Extreme".
The filesize is reduced by roughly 70%, so:
fm 25.434.763 to 7.381.853 bytes
fm 28.868.727 to 8.599.350 bytes

Sorry, I am sure it is a Newbie question... regretfully I am not familiar with this kind of stuff, I hardly ever convert anything.

If I burn the CD based on flac covering 2CD's is it the converted back to .cda so that the player can 'read' and play the files?

You are limited by the length of the tracks (all cda audio is an equal bitrate), not by the format that you are trying to burn from.

FLAC->CDA
FLAC->MP3->CDA
MP3->CDA

...will all result in the same length and filesize. You should remove a track or two from the queue and burn from the FLAC files for the best sound quality.

The only exception is if your livingroom CD player can read FLAC or MP3 files and not just regular CDs.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:11 am »

I want to play back the cd on the cd-player in the livingroom and prefer to playback in the best quality, if possible.
Or should I convert them to .mp3 at -say-192kbps or so?

if you want quality, you should not be converting them to mp3. If you have to, I'd use VBR at the highest setting or 300kps extreme. I'd follow Astromo's advice, as Bryan has explained cda is cda ... Better yet if you have a portable PC  -- set it up as a client to JR and if you have an external dac or a cd player with a digital input for playback -- no burning required, quality assured :)

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:51 am »

@Arindelle & Bryan

Many thanks to you both!

=

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:15:25 am »

Admittedly late and because this is an old MC version, no-one will care, but that said,
this was the first try to burn using 2 CD's.
First went fine.
MC17 asked to insert a blanc new one, which I did.
MC17 went on spinning, it seemed to have detected the CD. THen nothing happened, except for the spinning circle.
Tried with clicking on 'continue' at what point MC showed a window - what to do, close or continue.
Clicked on continue.
It asked for a new CD which I did, 3rd one.
Same story.
I then clicked on cancel.
MC17 started to burn from the start, the tracks that were already burned.
I stopped, closed.

Maybe the burn software was outdated? So I checked and did a search on 'burn' in the MC20 section. Noticed a lot of issues there, so there is no use to update.

Have burned the 2 CDs but did the split myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up