INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: the Definitive uninstall/reinstall procedure checklist  (Read 980 times)

AndrewD

Request: the Definitive uninstall/reinstall procedure checklist
« on: February 05, 2002, 12:53:54 pm »

Hi ....

I have spent a bit of time scanning the forum, trying to learn the "correct" way to install the MJ8 betas (i.e., install over version 7, uninstall 7 then install 8, ....), as well as the most comprehensive way to uninstall a beta version (or MJ 7 for that matter).  There seem to be differing opinions about this in different threads, as well as some registry surgery that is required to remove entries that are not removed using the uninstall program.

I will admit that my Windows registry skills are minimal, and the last program I wrote or debugged was on an IBM 3081 in assembler.

Could someone assemble (pun intended) and post the definitive checklist for installing and uninstalling MJ7 and MJ8.  Perhaps it could be posted to the FAQs, if that is a better home for it than the forum.

Much thanks.....

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Request: the Definitive uninstall/reinstall procedure checklist
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 01:46:00 pm »

it has changed since the first betas.

you can install mj8 over a mj7 install

the MJ8 download now has all the files, just install it.

you can install mj8 beta over a mj8 beta

once the MJ8 beta is installed, you do not need to download new betas from the forum, you can use the "Help",  "check for updates" it is a bit smaller and sends you the file that you need.

be confused no longer

Disclamer: However, there maybe times where you may need to uninstall to remove registry entries.

Next Page
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AndrewD

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 05:36:12 pm »

Thanks ..... it is, however, those "times" in the disclaimer that I am hoping to understand, and know exactly what to look for in the registry.

Any ideas ..... anyone?

Tuber

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 06:30:05 am »

KingSparta,

If you install MJ8 over MJ7 and then want to go back to MJ7 (e.g. b/c of what appear to be several bugs and crash situations in the MJ8 beta), do you need to do anything special besides uninstall MJ8, then intstall MJ7 (backing up licenses and libraries, of course)?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2002, 08:51:02 am »

you can not go backwards, if you do you must uninstall everything, and i would recomend deleting

c:\ program files \ j river

then reinstall 7.2

since the database is in another format and maybe some other data files your MJ may become unstable.

your rrg file should be backed up to floppy, more than once

rrg file for 8 is not compatable with 7 (don't work)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up