INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Can't connect to the server' bug on headless set up  (Read 2186 times)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
'Can't connect to the server' bug on headless set up
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:02:00 pm »

Hello,
I'm running a Headless media PC (with MC20) that's connected over my LAN to another computer that has all the music and is running MC20 too.

I have an annoying problem for a headless setup: MC20 is set to open automatically when the computer boots - and does so, however for some reason it always comes up with an error message saying it can't connect to the library (on the network) and if I want to retry or load another library - etc...

I always click 'retry' and it connects without a problem but because it's headless I have to connect to it and it's  hassle... if there was a setting that set it to retry to connect automatically for a set number of times that would be ideal as I won't have to connect to that computer just to click 'ok'...

My theory is that MC20 opens up a second before the network adapter connects to the wifi...

What do you think and is there a workaround?

Thanks!

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: 'Can't connect to the server' bug on headless set up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:31:38 am »

If your theory is correct, you should not start the client MC20 on computer/session startup but after network is available.
On the headless client disable autostart in JR options/startup and use the Windows task scheduler to launch MC on network available.

Have a look at this:
http://superuser.com/questions/262799/how-to-launch-a-command-on-network-connection-disconnection

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »

If your theory is correct, you should not start the client MC20 on computer/session startup but after network is available. On the headless client disable autostart in JR options/startup and use the Windows task scheduler to launch MC on network available.

This is what I do. My custom task makes MC wait a full 30 seconds after bootup on my headless HTPC before starting Media Server.

VP

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 01:05:19 pm »

Hey that's a great tip guys! Never thought  of using the scheduler. I don't have that problem much, but it does happen every now and then and its a pain. Its always linked to the network adapter not waking up fast enough. Thanks

Hope this fixes your problem Printer

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »

Thanks Guys,
This solution worked!

Also, my theory proven right ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up