INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calculating Album Genre  (Read 1880 times)

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Calculating Album Genre
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:23 am »

Hey Folks,

I'd like to calculate an Album Genre from the tracks in the Album. Basically a majority vote - if e.g. 7 of 9 tracks have the Alternative Rock Genre, the Album Genre should be set to Alternative Rock. Is something like this possible? I saw some ideas based on calculating an album rating, but I cannot fathom how to adapt that to Strings. Thanks in advance!

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: Calculating Album Genre
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:47:27 am »

I'm humbly bumping this... that would be the first thing i'd find to be impossible in JRiver. Should I just manually assign an album genre?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:09:45 pm »

I don't know how you'd do a majority rule of a list.  But you can easily set the genre to the first track's genre.  Would that be good enough?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:19 am »

Thanks for the answer! I think I'll rather set the Albumgenre manually because of my tagging neuroses ::) . Just out of interest, could you link me to a piece of code that does something like it for future reference?

By the way, I suppose I can put this here as well as anywhere else: I'm ultra happy with the level of support of your product. Thank you for that.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:58:32 pm »

Just in case this is helpful to anyone else...

I obtain albums, they do not obtain themselves.

So when I obtain them, I move them to a subfolder of my Music folder, and those subfolders' names are the names of all the Genres that I want to use (Classical, Rock, etc.).

Then I have rules in Import that automatically add the folder name as another Genre tag, additional to any existing [Genre] tags.  So, this preserves any other genre information that is in the tag database and was applied to the files, such as "hair band" for an 80s rock album.

In Import's Folder setting, there are apply tag rules, and I have one line like this one for each subfolder:

if(isequal([filename (path)],_Classical,8),[Genre] ; Classical,[Genre])

( It took some trial and error to get that syntax right, which is one reason I am posting it here to save time for someone else. )

Be sure to uncheck the "skip..." option in order to not lose the existing cute micro genres.

The subfolder names all start with "_" in order that they sort at the top alphabetically.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 04:11:54 am »

That's an interesting idea for a workflow. I currently do it the other way around - I assign all the values manually, and then use the Rename Move and Copy files function. I don't sort by genre in my file hierarchy though.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

I find that - ultimately - I need to have my file hierarchy and folder names structured as if there were no Media Library programs because... the online databases have errors.  So when someone has not set the "Album Artist" at all on a DJ mix album (common), then I have to find the album in the file hierarchy, so that I can grab it and set the Album Artist manually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up