INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AccurateRip  (Read 9403 times)

al1947

• World Citizen
AccurateRip
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:13:46 pm »

Does MC20 for Mac support AccurateRip? How do I enable it? And how do I get logs of the results?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: AccurateRip
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:46:11 am »

No.  It was important years ago when problems with CD drives were common.

MC has secure ripping.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »

I would have more confidence in the secure rip technology if MC20 hadn't made errors on two tracks (see bug report thread): first track of two CDs reported tagging errors and one of them would not play at all.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:40 pm »

What version of OSX?

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 12:27:10 pm »

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:14:50 pm »

In what way is the ripping secure?  How does it convey that the rip is both accurate and error free?
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 05:17:32 pm »

Secure rip reads multiple times and verifies that the samples are the same.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:01 pm »

Secure rip reads multiple times and verifies that the samples are the same.

If there is an error within the rip and the error repeats itself with every sample and it isn't compared against external samples I am  confused in understanding how that is secure. I'm just trying to understand the process.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:41:13 am »

Check the comments from Old Listener:
www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-vs-dbripper-ripping-17506/

Feel free to do your own testing and report back with your findings.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:03:24 am »

If there is an error within the rip and the error repeats itself with every sample and it isn't compared against external samples I am  confused in understanding how that is secure. I'm just trying to understand the process.

If a disc is damaged, you generally do not get the same value everytime, which the process relies on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:26:41 am »

If a disc is damaged, you generally do not get the same value everytime, which the process relies on.

Thank you

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:28:31 am »

Check the comments from Old Listener:
www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-vs-dbripper-ripping-17506/

Feel free to do your own testing and report back with your findings.

The comments are related to Windows based programs

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:08 am »

This HydrogenAudio article explains secure ripping fairly well:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Secure_ripping

It comes down to this: Secure Ripping ensures that the data you ripped was bit-for-bit identical to the data that was originally on the disc.  AccurateRip is an online database that ensures that your rip matches those of other people.

So, in theory, the only thing that AccurateRip can tell you that ripping in secure mode does not is whether you have a counterfeit source disc (and, even then, a counterfeit that was remastered or something from the original).  That's crazy.  And, it has issues... False positives are common.  Online databases can easily be poisoned by bad user data.  And labels sometimes produce discs with minor variations (for different regions or whatever) that will show up as inaccurate, when in fact the audio data on them is identical.

If you search for it on the forums here, you'll find all sorts of discussions about the merits (or lack thereof) of that system.  In any case, JRiver doesn't believe it to be a worthwhile feature and it isn't likely to be added to MC anytime soon.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 11:26:31 am »

I have had too many false negatives with AccurateRip to bother with it any more.
You can use the free PerfectTUNES program to scan your library and compare it against the AccurateRip database.

I have discs which were securely ripped in dBpoweramp and verified as accurate via AccurateRip, immediately marked as inaccurate by PerfectTUNES.

I guess PerfectTUNES was comparing against a different pressing of the disc than AccurateRip, but it means that I have little confidence in the results.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »

This HydrogenAudio article explains secure ripping fairly well:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Secure_ripping

It comes down to this: Secure Ripping ensures that the data you ripped was bit-for-bit identical to the data that was originally on the disc.  AccurateRip is an online database that ensures that your rip matches those of other people.

So, in theory, the only thing that AccurateRip can tell you that ripping in secure mode does not is whether you have a counterfeit source disc (and, even then, a counterfeit that was remastered or something from the original).  That's crazy.  And, it has issues... False positives are common.  Online databases can easily be poisoned by bad user data.  And labels sometimes produce discs with minor variations (for different regions or whatever) that will show up as inaccurate, when in fact the audio data on them is identical.

If you search for it on the forums here, you'll find all sorts of discussions about the merits (or lack thereof) of that system.  In any case, JRiver doesn't believe it to be a worthwhile feature and it isn't likely to be added to MC anytime soon.

And again thank you. It makes a little more sense to me.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:33 pm »

I have had too many false negatives with AccurateRip to bother with it any more.
You can use the free PerfectTUNES program to scan your library and compare it against the AccurateRip database.

I have discs which were securely ripped in dBpoweramp and verified as accurate via AccurateRip, immediately marked as inaccurate by PerfectTUNES.

I guess PerfectTUNES was comparing against a different pressing of the disc than AccurateRip, but it means that I have little confidence in the results.

In the discussions I have had about AccurateRip I have always taken that when no errors are reported  the end results that gives me something like 122/291 that of the 291 rips in the database 122 matched and the differences in those numbers were they were other mastering a of the same album. I do note that when ripping titles from the likes of MFSL the number that matches goes up while the sample size is smaller i.e.55/57.
Pages: [1]   Go Up