INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Transfer Settings from MC19 to MC20?  (Read 8779 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
How To Transfer Settings from MC19 to MC20?
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:32:22 pm »

Do I have to do a complete new set up and import for 20?  I downloaded and opened it and it virtually a blank canvas. Also am I right in thinking nothing has been done to make this more of an "Apple" UI or is that still to come?  I know video is not there and that's okay but Theater View seems to be very popular with the Windows users. Is that being implemented for Mac Users or does it require the video implementation?
Thanks
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

al1947

• World Citizen
Re: How To Transfer Settings from MC19 to MC20?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:38:19 am »

Library restore appears to have generally worked, but all my playlists did not transfer. Fix?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:07:38 am »

Library restore appears to have generally worked, but all my playlists did not transfer. Fix?

A library backup contains all the playlists and a restore should restore them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »

Is it normal that I need to manually download rather than it auto download?  Also, Do you recommend to save the settings and try to upload them into MC20? 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »

Is it normal that I need to manually download rather than it auto download?  Also, Do you recommend to save the settings and try to upload them into MC20? 
I guess what I don't understand is that it will not replace the icon and just update to MC20.  I can technically have two versions. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »

I guess what I don't understand is that it will not replace the icon and just update to MC20.  I can technically have two versions.  

Yes.  Media Center has long (on Windows) let you have multiple different major versions installed simultaneously.  You generally shouldn't run them at the same time (use one or the other), but you can have them installed separately.

This is useful, especially in the "early phases" of each major release (like right now), because you can test out the new version without relying on it full time for all of your needs.  Early versions are sometimes unstable (for a few weeks, usually, after the release of big, new features and versions).

This is common for many applications on the Mac, especially "pro Apps".  For example, installing Adobe Creative Suite 5 explicitly does not uninstall CS3.  Final Cut Pro has traditionally kept the old version when you install the new one (especially with the transition to FCPX, but even before that, back through FCP4 at least, if I remember correctly).  Even Microsoft Office works this way on the Mac.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:04 am »

Ok, I'm feeling a little better. Doing a restore has brought back all my Smartlists and play counts except for those I played in MC19 today because the newest backup I had to restore was from yesterday. It also restored the view changes I had made so I am on the path to give MC20 a good workout this weekend.

The only thing now is when I open it it seems to be in demo mode. How do I enter my license so it knows this is a purchased update?

And finally I noticed that as of 9/28 it will be one year since I first began using MC. I struggled a bit for the first couple of months (I didn't give it a lot of effort) much as I did the first couple of days with MC20 but JRiver is 95% my primary library and playback tool. I use iTunes/Audivrana less and less. I have Audivrana 2.0 and have played with it for a few days but it is so far removed from MC as a complete tool I doubt I go much further with it. I still prefer a few small things in iTunes and I'm one of the whiners wanting a more Apple like app experience but all in all this along with JRemote are remarkable products. It's just like me, pretty good but not perfect.  :)

Even better, I just did a fresh backup up of MC19 and restore of MC20 from that and now everything is up to snuff (I didn't say I was quick but I got there).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:23 am »

Please see "Restoring a License" on the wiki.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:15:16 am »

Please see "Restoring a License" on the wiki.

Yes, I think I have it right now.  At least it opened right up this morning.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:21:45 am »

Yes.  Media Center has long (on Windows) let you have multiple different major versions installed simultaneously.  You generally shouldn't run them at the same time (use one or the other), but you can have them installed separately.

This is useful, especially in the "early phases" of each major release (like right now), because you can test out the new version without relying on it full time for all of your needs.  Early versions are sometimes unstable (for a few weeks, usually, after the release of big, new features and versions).

This is common for many applications on the Mac, especially "pro Apps".  For example, installing Adobe Creative Suite 5 explicitly does not uninstall CS3.  Final Cut Pro has traditionally kept the old version when you install the new one (especially with the transition to FCPX, but even before that, back through FCP4 at least, if I remember correctly).  Even Microsoft Office works this way on the Mac.
Thanks.

My podcast:

Max Delissen

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 03:46:00 pm »

When I download and install MC20, enter my license# and everything seems to be working okay, do I need to uninstall MC19 to make it run smooth?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

When I download and install MC20, enter my license# and everything seems to be working okay, do I need to uninstall MC19 to make it run smooth?
The presence of MC19 alongside MC20 shouldn't be an issue. I'd think it would be sensible to not run them at the same time but I'd defer to others who are more clued up than myself.

Not a bad idea to have both early on in the release cycle of a new version as a fallback if you're feeling unsure.

Personally, I've gone boots and all and uninstalled 19. In for a penny and all that, what?   ;)

EDIT: Oops - didn't realise that I'd drifted over to the Mac page. My personal comments relate to Windows. I'd still expect the same design philosophy to apply where different versions can happily live along side one another. If that wasn't the case, the install program would automatically remove the old version.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »

This was already answered above.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jimrealty

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 06:46:38 pm »

For some reason my network devices are not showing up on MC 20. They still show up on MC 19. I have a Sonos system and an ID and nothing is showing.  Everything else is working fine?  What am I missing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:47:23 pm »

Check options to see if you have Media Network turned on.

jimrealty

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 07:24:30 pm »

That was the problem. But now it works fine for about 10 minutes and for some reason it drops all of the connections. If I shut down MC 20 and restart it everything shows up again and then the cycle starts over.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
Settings
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 08:48:10 am »

I have just purchased MC20 but all my settings are in MC19. How do I transfer the settings, like options for network renderers, startup options etc? Or do I have to redo everything manually?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:00 am »

Back up in MC19 (under File).  Restore in MC20.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 09:46:51 am »

Back up in MC19 (under File).  Restore in MC20.

Thanks, that did not work fully, I am afraid. None of the Sonos devices are showing anymore, and I can no longer access it from JRemote. Media services are on. It did restore the library and it starts minimised, so I guess it restored some of the settings. Any ideas?

*** Problem solved ***
When MC 20 installed, it blocked itself from receiving incoming connections in the System Settings/Firewall rules, while 19 was unblocked. Unblocking manually made it work again. It looks like the default firewall settings are to block apps that have not been digitally signed by its developer. As a suggestion, please consider code signing. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up