INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone 6 plus preordered  (Read 15235 times)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
iPhone 6 plus preordered
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:55:58 am »

I was one of the lucky that got a plus on preorder here in OZ.
64GB Silver.
I look forward to trying it out with the Id and JRemote in the car in landscape mode!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: iPhone 6 plus preordered
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »

Got one of the giant phones, eh?

I got the 4.7 on the way as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hilton

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:35:41 pm »

Yes I've wanted a iPad mini type device and this will do the job nicely.
I use a Bluetooth earpiece most of the time anyway, and BT in the car.
The size should be perfect for use in the car with JRemote.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:52 pm »

A lot of people I've spoken with don't seem to realize that the iPads are different aspect ratios than the iPhones, or that 7.9" is a lot bigger than 5.5" when it's a diagonal measurement of the screen—they're actually expecting something the size of an Xperia Z Ultra, which is basically a tablet.
The iPhone's display is as tall as the iPad mini is wide, so it's roughly half the size—just like the mini is roughly half the size of an Air.
In that regard, the 5.5" display makes a lot of sense to me, even though I'm not sure that it's something I would want for myself.

I guess I'm not really the person to talk about phones though, since I still haven't found the need to buy a smartphone. Data plans are ridiculously expensive here, so that kills most of the utility of the device.
I'm mostly just waiting on models which are 256GB or larger so I can carry around a decent amount of music and replace an iPod with one.
If only that SIM tray on the side was a MicroSD slot instead—then I would probably be buying the 128GB model with a 128GB card right away.

It's a shame that the 6 lacks optical image stabilization, since I think I'd prefer the smaller phone.
That said, everyone I know that has switched to Android—and some who are thinking of switching back—have all said that after the initial shock of the big phone coming from a 3.5" iPhone, they want the largest phones they can get now... within reason. No-one wants a Z Ultra, but the Note 4 is OK, so 5.5" is just about right for them.

I must say that I'm surprised the lens protrudes from both models.
It really seems like they're designed to be in a case now—I imagine the lens sits flush or just slightly recessed inside the Apple cases.

240fps video is really nice, and I hope higher framerates are something that Apple keep pushing for in future models.
Even though I have absolutely no other use for a point & shoot camera, I have often considered buying one of those Casio ones which can shoot 240-1000fps. (at ever-smaller resolutions)

Especially when Apple are so design-focused, and talk about how tight the tolerances are on the phones, one thing I would really like to see them push for is a waterproof design like the Xperia line of phones. While not as nice as the iPhones, the Z3 seems like a pretty good alternative if JRemote gets ported to Android.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »

I'm mostly just waiting on models which are 256GB or larger so I can carry around a decent amount of music and replace an iPod with one.
If only that SIM tray on the side was a MicroSD slot instead—then I would probably be buying the 128GB model with a 128GB card right away.

I tell you... With JRemote, I really don't care very often.  In fact, I went with the 64GB iPhone 6.  I splurged on my previous iPhone 5 and got the (then top-end) 64GB model.  And, aside from early on when I filled it pretty much all the way with music, I've since cut back because I use JRemote 98% of the time.  Mostly my iOS Music app usage amounts to Audiobooks (which JRemote doesn't handle well), and occasional "I'm way out in the boondocks" offline use (for which a randomly shuffling assortment of music based on clever Smartlists suffices just fine).  The 64GB iPhone 5 has been completely adequate for my needs, with as much as 10GB typically free, and so I didn't feel the need this time to go whole hog.  My 32GB iPhone 4, on the other hand, was constantly all the way full.  Of course, that was before JRemote got so good, but I find photos and home movies are a bigger storage concern for me now.

The only issue is when I go somewhere that doesn't have any service of any kind.  That happens rarely, though it did just happen:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91654.0

I was particularly happy to see these two things:

We are definitely interested in adding offline playback to JRemote.

And related to this:

if JRemote gets ported to Android.

I am currently working hard on the android version, so have delayed some of the big features for iOS.

With a well-implemented offline cache, I'd really just not care at all anymore.

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:51:14 am »

I got a call from Telstra today and they offered me an upgrade to 128GB 6 plus.

The extra storage might be handy, I too have about 10GB spare on the 64GB 5S because I mostly use JRemote with the Id, remote streaming or surface tablet, or Spotify and iCloud or my 2TB Seagate wireless HDD.
Most of my storage is taken up by offline Spotify, video and photos.
I have a gopro hero 3+ black that im using more for video these days than the iPhone, so videos isn't so much a problem anymore, though with the better constant auto focus on iPhone 6 plus with image stabilisation I could see me using it more.

I look forward to offline JRemote too. ;)
Im hoping JRemote also gets some DLNA capability too so I can use it for things like the Seagate wireless DLNA HDD.

TCube

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:06:37 am »

I got a call from Telstra today and they offered me an upgrade to 128GB 6 plus.

The extra storage might be handy, I too have about 10GB spare on the 64GB 5S because I mostly use JRemote with the Id, remote streaming or surface tablet, or Spotify and iCloud or my 2TB Seagate wireless HDD.
Most of my storage is taken up by offline Spotify, video and photos.
I have a gopro hero 3+ black that im using more for video these days than the iPhone, so videos isn't so much a problem anymore, though with the better constant auto focus on iPhone 6 plus with image stabilisation I could see me using it more.

I look forward to offline JRemote too. ;)
Im hoping JRemote also gets some DLNA capability too so I can use it for things like the Seagate wireless DLNA HDD.

Quite funny ! No offense but You Do sound like George W. Bush saying on TV : "America is addicted to oil"
Rgds
T3

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:13:15 am »

I tell you... With JRemote, I really don't care very often.  In fact, I went with the 64GB iPhone 6.  I splurged on my previous iPhone 5 and got the (then top-end) 64GB model.  And, aside from early on when I filled it pretty much all the way with music, I've since cut back because I use JRemote 98% of the time.  Mostly my iOS Music app usage amounts to Audiobooks (which JRemote doesn't handle well), and occasional "I'm way out in the boondocks" offline use (for which a randomly shuffling assortment of music based on clever Smartlists suffices just fine).  The 64GB iPhone 5 has been completely adequate for my needs, with as much as 10GB typically free, and so I didn't feel the need this time to go whole hog.  My 32GB iPhone 4, on the other hand, was constantly all the way full.  Of course, that was before JRemote got so good, but I find photos and home movies are a bigger storage concern for me now.

The only issue is when I go somewhere that doesn't have any service of any kind.  That happens rarely, though it did just happen: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91654.0
Yes, if you have a good data plan, I can see why you wouldn't care about storage.
Data plans are very expensive here, coverage is poor, and my home internet connection is DSL so it occasionally disconnects - I need the storage.

With a well-implemented offline cache, I'd really just not care at all anymore.
Well an offline cache still requires storage on the device.
I agree that the JRemote app is a lot nicer than the stock Apple music app.

I do occasionally use the Dirac app with EarPods though, so I'd prefer that JRemote could access local music rather than keep its own offline cache.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:25 am »

Yes, if you have a good data plan, I can see why you wouldn't care about storage.
Data plans are very expensive here, coverage is poor, and my home internet connection is DSL so it occasionally disconnects - I need the storage.
Well an offline cache still requires storage on the device.
I agree that the JRemote app is a lot nicer than the stock Apple music app.

I do occasionally use the Dirac app with EarPods though, so I'd prefer that JRemote could access local music rather than keep its own offline cache.

+1 for accessing local content.

I would much prefer if JRiver's remote apps could access local content rather than just caching, unless the cache could be managed in substantially the same way local storage can be managed (i.e. able to be browsed and synced/deleted).  Data is not particularly cheap here, and I spend most of my days in a space with no wi-fi and extremely spotty cell service. 

So I wind up syncing to my phone and using a non-JRiver player exclusively when away from home. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:53:36 am »

Not sure what you mean by "accessing local content".

The cache would be stored locally, and certainly would include some kind of management system.  My preference would be to be able to select certain playlists (smart or non) and have it sync those whenever it can connect to the Library Server (background updating would make this seamless every night when you have the phone plugged in and charging on WiFi).  Lespaul indicated (and I concur) that it would also need a way to individually select files as well.

If you mean accessing the music otherwise stored on the device (the content in Music.app, for example), then this is likely impossible because of the sandbox.  The only way to get around that would be if Apple stored your music in the new iCloud Drive storage space (which is shared).  But they wouldn't do that because that would suck up all of your storage on the iCloud Drive.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:05:10 pm »

Not sure what you mean by "accessing local content".

The cache would be stored locally, and certainly would include some kind of management system.  My preference would be to be able to select certain playlists (smart or non) and have it sync those whenever it can connect to the Library Server (background updating would make this seamless every night when you have the phone plugged in and charging on WiFi).  Lespaul indicated (and I concur) that it would also need a way to individually select files as well.

That would check all my boxes and be fine by me; what I meant by accessing local content was a configurable way to use the remote app to either store media on the phone, or access media already stored on the phone (i.e. something that would allow use of the apps away from home without streaming).  

Basically I was just hoping to register a desire to avoid a cache implementation like the one Gizmo currently has, which is unsatisfactory for my uses (it's a read-ahead cache only).

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »

I believe any application can read files stored in the music library (i.e. music synced via iTunes) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Since MC really handles all the library management stuff server-side though, I can see how adding support for local music may be more difficult than one might expect, and why a local cache - which would only be accessible in JRemote - might be the preferred solution.

It does mean that you would not be able to do things like play your music in another app such as Dirac or Accudio, however.
If you haven't already, you should give the free Dirac app a try. It really makes a big difference to how the EarPods sound. I still prefer to use other headphones most of the time, but sometimes they're all I have with me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:07 pm »

I believe any application can read files stored in the music library (i.e. music synced via iTunes) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Nope.  At least not in iOS 7 and prior.  The sharing APIs have changed quite a bit in iOS 8, of course, and I haven't fully dug into them, but on all previous versions that was NOT the case.

You can access the Camera Roll.  And apps can access their OWN files synced via iTunes (on the Applications tab you can sync files into the sandbox for a particular app), but the Music synced from iTunes has always been stored in the music.app's sandbox.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

Actually... It looks like they changed that recently (perhaps with iOS 7).  I wonder why none of my "File Browser" type apps do this, as that would be handy.

It does look like you cannot write to it, and you can't access iTunes Match "cloud" files, but it seems like you can read-only access the music library.  That's new, though.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 12:35:37 pm »

I don't think anything has changed regarding the local music library.

Apps like Dirac and Accudio worked just fine on iOS 5/6, and continue to work in iOS 7/8.
The only issue is that you cannot play songs in the cloud through other apps, though they will still be listed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:50 pm »

More details on the API:
https://developer.apple.com/Library/ios/documentation/Audio/Conceptual/iPodLibraryAccess_Guide/AboutiPodLibraryAccess/AboutiPodLibraryAccess.html

Apparently it is fairly obnoxious to use as the user has to individually pick albums through the picker (or maybe even individual files), and cannot authorize an app to access the entire Library at once.

Basically, it provides a pinhole through the sandbox.  Your app doesn't really "play" the file.  It tells music.app to play the file for it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »

Yeah.  I found it.  It changed in iOS 5 with share sheets.  I missed that!

It DEFINITELY was not possible at one time.  But I've been using iOS since before it was called iOS.

Hilton

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 06:30:22 am »

Got a 128GB gold 6+ today in a Telstra store after being stuffed around with online preorder.
It's big! But I like it already. JRemote works great, a bit easier to use in the car. I hope a landscape mode is released for iPhone now. ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 09:06:46 am »

euh can't afford these toys ... I just hope I can use my iPhone4 for two more years.

Used to be able to change contracts or operators and change your phone, not anymore in France at least. Phone use is cheap, no more freenies ... the  iphone6 16GB small version starts at 709 euros (913 $). Ok its unbranded, but thats crazy money for a 16gb phone.

Im' not sure you can sit on a hard bar stool with it in you backpocket -- looks flimsy-thin

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »

Im' not sure you can sit on a hard bar stool with it in you backpocket -- looks flimsy-thin

It is equal-to-or-better-than the iPhone 5 in "durability feel".  Can't say for sure, obviously, without further time.  It does not feel flimsy at all.

I've already dropped it once, and it escaped completely unscathed.

The iPhone 4/4S was bad.  My iPhone 5 was a tank.  The fancy edges look like the millennium falcon now, but it has survived untold drunken drops (and two submersions) with no problems other than some "battle scars" on the outside of the casing.  I've never used a case on it (I also don't wear a helmet when I go outside).

Hilton

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »

Well the 5.5" 6+ passed the morning drive, with the Id pumping tunes with JRemote, and one-handed browsing email in the coffee shop and the one-handed journey back to the office with coffee and phone in one hand and swipe card in the other, including while opening doors, rushing for the elevator and the sardine bump and squeeze in the elevator.  

It did not once feel like I would drop it, though I have a super thin transparent gel case on it to improve it's stickiness.  The rounded edges are much nicer for holding, it feels less chunky than the 5S and about the same weight. It certainly feels nicer to hold.

I was able to comfortably hold it with my baby finger and ring finger pressing it gently against the palm of my hand, with the other two fingers and thumb gripping my coffee.  I have medium to large hands with chunky fingers so the phone suits me perfectly.  The larger screen makes reading email and replying so much easier. It also fits more comfortably in my suite trouser and jacket pockets because of its thinner and rounder edges.  

I don't know what apple was worried for so long about going large and extra large.  
For a work / casual phone it will easily accommodate 99% of my lifestyle.  I can see if you're into running and fitness it would be too big, but with an apple watch and body strap/case for the phone I can see that as less of an issue.  It will be better for bike riding though with a suitable bike mount which is what I mostly do these days anyway.  Paired with my Plantronic M165 BT headset for calls and Jaybird BlueBuds X Premium BT Headset for music, I'm in technology heaven. :)  

That reminds me of something I haven't tried yet, JRemote on the mountain bike with 4G streaming from my HTPC. :)  (and maybe a solar powered Id just for kicks eh! ;)  )

PS. It also works with my FiiO E17 headphone Amp/Dac without audio glitches where the 5S would not. (need the camera connect kit with a passive USB hub to avoid "this device draws too much power" )

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:19:00 pm »

euh can't afford these toys ... I just hope I can use my iPhone4 for two more years.
I just want to see the return of a black phone and the small display... combined with 256GB or more storage.

The iPhone 4/4S was bad.  My iPhone 5 was a tank.  The fancy edges look like the millennium falcon now, but it has survived untold drunken drops (and two submersions) with no problems other than some "battle scars" on the outside of the casing.  I've never used a case on it (I also don't wear a helmet when I go outside).
I'd love it if Apple built the next iPhone to be waterproof like the Xperia phones.
I've seen a number of people saying that their iPhone 5 survived being submerged.

There are so few physical features to these devices now that it really shouldn't be too difficult to build a properly waterproofed version.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 07:56:37 pm »

Arindelle

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 07:01:54 am »

iPhone Bend Test
deal breaker for me -- amazing that the glass did'nt break though . thanks for the link feel better now :)

I don't think the 4 is so bad, other than the antenna issue I had at the beginning. I don't get why thin is such a great thing - I know people consider phones now as fashion accessories  ::) but if you have to be wearing a suit or jacket , attach it by a holster, or put it in a purse, messenger bag whatever and worry about the glass breaking or bending the thing

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:42 am »

deal breaker for me -- amazing that the glass did'nt break though . thanks for the link feel better now :)
Well the same thing was shown with the iPhone 5/5S too. Since they're just aluminum of course you can bend them if you try.
However with the larger and thinner size now, it seems far more likely that it could also happen accidentally if you keep your phone in your pocket, especially a back pocket - which I'd never recommend.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:43 am »

Well the same thing was shown with the iPhone 5/5S too.

Yeah, that test was...  ::)

He bent it so hard his hands were shaking... I mean...  And, yeah I know the same guy did the same test with the Galaxy Note 3.  It bent, though it came out okay.  Of course it is made out of plastic so it didn't stay bent, but good for them.  If it is an important feature for you to be able to apply crazy intentional force to the phone, I suppose it is a concern.  But be wary, not all Samsung phones survived so well.

This year's iPhone Tempest-in-a-Teapot is more absurd than usual.

Hilton

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 06:16:53 am »

The portable FiiO E17 DAC/Amp setup with iPhone 6+ and JRemote (playing back from MC20 on HTPC)

24bit 96K playback through JRemote

The desktop setup I use at work and at my PC with the E09K/E17 DAC/Amp.

5S vs 6+ (The 5S feels like a toy now after having the 6+ for a few days.)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 12:47:45 am »

Yeah... Looks like it was pretty bunk:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/25/no-you-probably-cant-bend-the-iphone-6-plus-unless-youre-a-bodybuilder/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131127-apple-on-iphone-6-plus-bendgate-extremely-rare-with-only-9-complaints-of-bending-so-far

FWIW, I'm not a jerk, so I'm not going to try to bend mine, but my iPhone 6 "regular" (which is the less resilient of the two according to Consumer Reports) is kept in my front pocket all the time and it is still pristine.

I also dropped it once onto pavement and it is fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 01:14:35 am »

For that last linked story above, I watched the video again, and the report is true, if not very well explained.  The timecodes are fishy at best.  If you watch, he has a supposedly-pristine iPhone 6+ in his hand, and bends it in one little try, and then rotates the phone to show off the damage.  As he rotates the phone in his hand, you can see the time and it is 2:26.

After that first one, he tries harder and bends it more.  In these later sections, there are cuts in the video so you can't define a timeline, but that first "section" where he seems to bend it with reasonably little effort, appears to be seamless.  This is an important detail.  It goes from "in good shape" to "bent" with only a single "squeeze" from his hands.

But then, later in the video, he's holding the same bent iPhone and waiving it around.  At one point, he is doing that same rotation gesture with the phone in his hand, and you can clearly see the timestamp.

My screenshots are of the low-res version, but if you watch the HD version, you can read both dates, and they're both Tuesday, September 23.

Hmmm... How is it that he "seamlessly shot" that first clip from pristine phone to bent in a few scant seconds, and then rotated the phone and it is 2:26, but then he is holding a bent phone in his hand a full 28 minutes earlier?

Unless he switched time zones in between shots, manually reset the clock to make himself look like he was faking it, or some crazy software thing happened (perhaps caused by the bending of the phone) then this doesn't look good.  The latter possibility seems less likely as if you keep watching, you can see the clock count up from 1:58, to 1:59, and then up through 2:01 as he's doing his "wrap up".  So, the clock appears to be working normally there, post-bend.  There's also a spot, just before he starts bending the phone, where his hands (which he'd been flipping around in an animated fashion mostly) where the action on screen freezes completely for an "unnaturally" long period and looks frozen.  From a video editor's eye, it stands out as a frame chosen to swap between two different takes.

So, perhaps those two things could be explained away, but the times shown on the phone (combined with the conveniently odd "edit spot" just before the bend) is pretty fishy.  An alternative narrative, of course is:

1. He filmed the unbent phone.
2. He bent the phone using a vice grip, one of those cool bending machines they have, or at least a much different level of pressure than is depicted in the video.
3. He filmed the "OMG it bent" segment used at the end.
4. He bent it back as best he could, taking another 20 minutes or so to get it "right".
5. Cut to him "re-bending" it with his bare hands at just the right moment just before he starts trying, and... Voila.

Not saying they can't bend (because clearly any relatively thin slab of whatever will bend if you apply enough force).  But I think this video was faked to exaggerate the "issue" and make it look like something you could do relatively easily.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »

I am thinking about upgrading my iPhone 5 to IPhone 6 or 6 plus. Is 64GB enough for the 6+?
Can't decide... arrgghh. Does JRemote work well on the Plus in landscape mode?

Hilton

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 01:32:02 am »

64gb is plenty if your just storing apps and music and streaming from MC20 or spotify. You won't fit your whole library but neither will 128GB for a lot of people. 
JRemote runs in native 6+ high res but doesn't work in landscape like on the iPad. It's much easier to use in the car than the 5S was because of the larger screen.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 02:42:00 pm »

My newspaper offers an iphone 6+ 64GB for 200 EUR, when you take the newspaper for 2 years.
I'm gonna go for it. GPS in the car will indeed be more easy. That did it. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up