INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC keyboard/trackpad  (Read 3281 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
HTPC keyboard/trackpad
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »

Hey,

Currently have a Keysonic RF 540 and it's terrible. You literally have to be right up to the receiver for it to work and have clear line-of-sight, which is ironic for an RF, not iR, device.

I've seen 3 other models:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2SY902/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00J22RU5A&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0JX97DZ8D710F7V6XV8G
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Illuminated-Living-Qwerty-keyboard/dp/B00J22RU5A
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LDLQXG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00J22RU5A&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0JX97DZ8D710F7V6XV8G

Has anyone used either? The Microsoft one is 3 times cheaper! I don't think i'd miss the backlit keys, and the rechargeability of the Logitech is not a deal breaker (more of a would-like rather than need).

Is there more justification in the Logitech backlit one price apart from those 2 things? I.e. are the other 2 rubbish?

Are there any other options out there?

Thanks

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HTPC keyboard/trackpad
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »

I have the last one (the Logitech K400), works fine albeit 10m is a bit optimistic if there are walls in the way. I think mine manages ~6-7m with 2 solid brick walls in between me and the HTPC. It's quite small as well & the way the keys are laid out is mildly irritating at times (e.g. having to press Fn as well to get a F key). Having said that it is only £25ish, worth the money imv.

Actually looking at the pics, it seems I have the K400r not the K400 shown in the link.

http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39601/~/differences-between-the-wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-and-k400r

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:29:35 pm »

I've opted for the "smart" version:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-keyboard
that integrates with my smart phone via an app.

Got some quirks but overall it's been a worthwhile move.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:50:17 pm »

Astromo, does that one replace a normal remote? As in I change channels, switch inputs on an AVR etc. Everything a remote can do. I have a Logitech 300i remote - the lowest end of the Logitech line, but it's perfect for my needs.

I was asking going to say there should be devices like this but never would have thought they existed.

So rather than buying say a 650 remote plus K830 keyboard, I can just get your keyboard?

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:28 pm »

It's a shame they don't have the traditional keys (record, rewind etc) below the trackpad...

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »

Astromo, does that one replace a normal remote? As in I change channels, switch inputs on an AVR etc. Everything a remote can do. I have a Logitech 300i remote - the lowest end of the Logitech line, but it's perfect for my needs.

I was asking going to say there should be devices like this but never would have thought they existed.

So rather than buying say a 650 remote plus K830 keyboard, I can just get your keyboard?

Yes, if you want to, you can pretty well configure your smart phone how you like. It sends commands via WiFi that then get converted to IR and transmitted from the hub.

I've kept the old 1100 Harmony in service because there was no need to decommission it and they work fine together. So, the smart keyboard was a perfect choice.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 06:20:29 am »

Sorry, I meant can the smart keyboard replace a remote without having to use the app on your phone.

Ideally I would like a keyboard that I use for everything, so rather than picking up a remote or phone with app, I pick up the keyboard to turn everything on, change inputs on amp etc, change channels on STB. The whole shebang.

So basically a Harmony remote inside a keyboard 'chassis'. Looking at the specs. for the Smart Keyboard, it's very much aimed at PCs only, not entire home theater setups.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:48:51 am »

Sorry, I meant can the smart keyboard replace a remote without having to use the app on your phone.

Ideally I would like a keyboard that I use for everything, so rather than picking up a remote or phone with app, I pick up the keyboard to turn everything on, change inputs on amp etc, change channels on STB. The whole shebang.

So basically a Harmony remote inside a keyboard 'chassis'. Looking at the specs. for the Smart Keyboard, it's very much aimed at PCs only, not entire home theater setups.

I don't have the smart keyboard but I have done some research on it anticipating a future purchase and yes it is a remote/keyboard/trackpad all in one.
You only need the iOS, Android, or PC app to configure the keyboard after that you can use the iOS/Android app if you wish but it is not required.
If memory serves me correct it can be configured for up to 5 activities (watch TV, play Blu Ray, etc) and 8 devices.
You press a single button on the keyboard and it turns the configured devices on and sets them to the correct input.
Can't remember but you may have to press a Function button along with the activity button.
In my research I basically went to youtube and search Harmony Smart Keyboard Review and also went to the Logitech website.

One of the videos I watched.
Sean

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:04:32 am »

Thanks Scolex.

It's not available in UK yet so got a bit of time to stew over it.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:14:36 am »

Thanks Scolex.

It's not available in UK yet so got a bit of time to stew over it.

It's not available in Oz either. Got one via Amazon. Use micro USB plug for power, so the U.S. plug got the heave-ho.
Pages: [1]   Go Up