INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hauppauge Colossus tv card  (Read 29023 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Hauppauge Colossus tv card
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2015, 11:33:00 am »

All right we'll do.  I don't know what more info I can give you.  If I did I would in a heartbeat... Hopefully the log files will help. I'll send them to you in a personnal message?:

thx again for the help

You can try PM.  Or you can email to yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2015, 12:30:32 pm »

Can you email me a copy of your backup MC library (I will delete it once I finish trouble-shooting this problem).  Also send me a copy of your MC settings registry entries.  Run RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 20, right-click > Export.

I forgot to mention, please also provide a log file.

Follow these steps:

0. Restart MC.
1. Make sure logging is turned on by going to Help > Logging, and making sure "Output to a log file" checkbox is checked.
2. Play an STB channel.
3. Regardless of the result of step 2, play another STB channel.
4. Go back to Help > Logging and click Report a problem.

The zip file should be small enough (that is why there is a step 0. Restart MC) to be attached to an email message.

The Library backup file could be several MB in size and some email server may not handle it.  Let's try email first.  If it does not work, you have to use an online file sharing tool.

The settings registry file should be small.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2015, 06:56:08 pm »

Thanks for taking the trouble getting those files to me.

They do reveal something that might be related to the problem.  When doing the setup, the IR blast test codes seemed to incorrectly blasted to all devices and all ports.  When actually the codes are actually deployed, they are blasted only to specified device and port.  This could explain the problem you have seen.  Double check the port into which the IR emitter is plugged.  Did you accidentally plug it into port 2 but think you it was port 1?  Try switch to a different port.  Even if you plugged into port 1, try switching to port 2 anyway, as I now remember one user actually was able to make it work just by switching the port (in other words, the ports on the device is labeled wrong).

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2015, 12:55:36 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

Here is what I did...
I unplugged the Blaster from port 1 and connected it to port 2, I tried it during normal usage and guess what...It worked!!!

Then I went back in the setup page to see if it works when connected to port 2 and it doesn't.

So I guess port 1 and 2 are reversed between the JRiver setup and in "Working mode" ?

I also confirm that port 1 is the one selected during my setup.

So now in my case to get it to work properly is to set it all up when connected to port 1 and re-connect to port 2 for normal usage....

Hey...We're going somewhere good stuff!!!  Thx!!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »

I am glad we have finally nailed this one.

Some (I think older) devices have ports opposite to other (newer) ones.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2015, 02:13:23 pm »

I actually have two other ones but last time I tried these out JRiver didn't seem to recognise them during the blaster setup...I can give these ones a shot if you want...

AND Yes This one is definitely an older one...(From an old Toshiba Media Center laptop...)

Ironically the 2 "HP newer ones" I got from e-bay look exactly the same as the one described on your website but they didn't work..
I'm curious now I'll try them out...

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2015, 02:17:23 pm »

But it still doesn't quite explain why they're reversed in JRiver setup and usage right?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2015, 04:42:28 pm »

But it still doesn't quite explain why they're reversed in JRiver setup and usage right?

For my MCE remote, the ports are not reversed.  You may say that I programmed MC according to my device.  Whichever is reversed, it does not matter, mine has become the standard  :)

Not sure what your question is.  Are you asking why it worked in the setup wizard?  If that is the question, then the answer is that the wizard had a bug, which made MC to blast codes to all ports instead of the selected port (during testing in the wizard).  So, it blasted to both port 1 and port 2, so it does not matter which port you plug the emitter in, it will work.  On the other hand, during actual deployment, MC blasted only to the designated port.  So if you set the STB channels to use port 1, MC tried to blast to port 1, but it ended up at port 2 due to the reversal of the ports.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:23 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

I guarantee you that this is not what is happening for me.  As per my previous post, In the setup it will work on Port 1 (Also Configured as Port 1). But then passed the setup it will only work when I connect it to port 2.

So from what you're saying it should have worked on both the setup page (during testing in the wizard) and normal usage (or deployment as you call it) when I was connected to port 2 and it was not the case for me.

In other words for me it transmits only to my port 1 during the testing wizard and to port 2 afterwards...

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2015, 03:33:12 pm »

BTW still going through the JRiver engine when not in time shifting mode with the Colossus using 20.0.93...I really believe it should work exactly like an an ATSC card.

Just re-read your post :"Only when TV is played in time-shifting mode, it follows Red October settings".

Any chance to get it to use the Red October settings like the ATSC cards?

thx

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2015, 04:46:20 pm »

BTW still going through the JRiver engine when not in time shifting mode with the Colossus using 20.0.93...I really believe it should work exactly like an an ATSC card.

Just re-read your post :"Only when TV is played in time-shifting mode, it follows Red October settings".

Any chance to get it to use the Red October settings like the ATSC cards?

thx

I will be working on this.  Give me a few days.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

I guarantee you that this is not what is happening for me.  As per my previous post, In the setup it will work on Port 1 (Also Configured as Port 1). But then passed the setup it will only work when I connect it to port 2.

So from what you're saying it should have worked on both the setup page (during testing in the wizard) and normal usage (or deployment as you call it) when I was connected to port 2 and it was not the case for me.

In other words for me it transmits only to my port 1 during the testing wizard and to port 2 afterwards...

I think you misunderstood.

If you were still using build 87, when you were doing test, MC was firing blast on both port 1 and 2, even though you only had the emitter plugged in port 1.  That means, even though your ports are switched, you would get the signal.

Now that you are using .93, MC will only fire on the designated port, even in testing.  So in your case, if you configure port 1, it should fire on port 2, and vice versa.  It should now be consistent, between testing and actual use.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2015, 06:22:21 am »

Sorry Yaobbing, I think YOU misunderstood  ;D... Let me try again

In doing the setup...When I was plugged to port 2 the blaster did not work. So in my case with this Older MCE blaster unit it doesn't blast on both ports with 20.0.87 during the test.

So when my ports were switched in 87 during the test, It did not send the signal on port 2.

Anyways I'M not sure this is a big deal but if you want me to re-test with my older blaster unit and 93 let me know...

Now I just left it on port 2 even though configured for port 1 and it works fine past the setup.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2015, 07:29:17 am »

Sorry Yaobbing, I think YOU misunderstood  ;D... Let me try again

In doing the setup...When I was plugged to port 2 the blaster did not work. So in my case with this Older MCE blaster unit it doesn't blast on both ports with 20.0.87 during the test.

So when my ports were switched in 87 during the test, It did not send the signal on port 2.

Anyways I'M not sure this is a big deal but if you want me to re-test with my older blaster unit and 93 let me know...

Now I just left it on port 2 even though configured for port 1 and it works fine past the setup.

Now I understand what you are saying clearly.  But the whole thing still does not make sense because with build 87 we did send signals to all ports. 

That is not important now.  At least you can use port 2 pretending that it is port 1.

What is more important is whether you are able to, using build 93, configure either port at will, assuming you switch port 1 and 2.  This is important in general, not necessarily for you, because someone may need to set up two STB devices.  In such case we need both ports to work.

We already know that if you select port 1 in setup, but actually plug the device in port 2, it works.  Right?  I hope this is still the case  ;D

What happens if you plug the emitter in port 1, but in setup choose port 2?  Will that work?  If that works, all is well.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2015, 07:57:02 am »

Hi Yaobing,

Glad we finally understand each other on this ! :)

I'll test this out sometime this week. (Not sure when though.)

Thx!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2015, 02:09:28 pm »

We already know that if you select port 1 in setup, but actually plug the device in port 2, it works.  Right?  I hope this is still the case  ;D

What happens if you plug the emitter in port 1, but in setup choose port 2?  Will that work?  If that works, all is well.

@ imeric, maybe your colossus has some internal cross-wiring on the ports :)

After reading this thread I decided to "reactivate" my Colossus. I stopped using it when I cancelled my DirecTV. So I plugged it in, and connected my "Amazon FireTV" to it. I get a picture - but still have a ways to go before I say it is setup.
It is more complicated than I remembered, but this thread is helping me along.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2015, 06:06:37 pm »

The IR port issue has nothing to do with Colossus.  It is the IR device that is the issue.  To use the Colossus without IR setup, i.e. to use it as a capture-only device, to capture video from a video source, just follow the setup wizard to create a capture-only profile.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up