INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist to select first track of linked tracks...  (Read 2697 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Smartlist to select first track of linked tracks...
« on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »

...then expand to full set of linked songs. Is this possible?

I'd love to set up a smartlist to pull up a list like this:

1. Beethoven Symphony no. 5 mvt. I
2. Bach Goldberg Variations Theme
3. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Speak to Me Breath

(and these would be selected as tracks only if they are the first number of a sequence of a set of linked tracks).

Then expand to look like this:

1. Beethoven 5 I.
2. B5 II
3. B5 III
4. B5 IV
5. Bach Goldberg Theme
6-29. Goldberg variations
30. Speak to me, breath
31- 28 Rest of Dark Side of Moon (maybe without the annoying bells)

Is this possible? MrC, are you still around these parts and if so, would you be so kind as to lend a hand to this smartlist?

Thanks!

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Smartlist to select first track of linked tracks...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:14:59 pm »

Six years and no answer?  I think this is an essential feature in order to use shuffle with classical albums.  Anything???

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 01:20:41 am »

A little over three years ago, we got this...
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111925.msg773418.html#msg773418

Try this as your smartlist rule:
Code: [Select]
(-[Link Start]=[] or -[Link]=[]) ~sort=[Link Start]
I prefer...:
I have an "All Media" set of views in my tree where I have added a "Linked Files" view. I used the all media group because as well as audio, I use the feature a lot in my image library to play sequences of photos together too, and in a couple of cases, short home videos.

The "Set Files To Display" rule for this view is:
(-[Link Start]=[] or -[Link]=[]) ~sort=[Link Start]I then group the file list by [Link Start] (a-z)

I have panes of: Media Type | Artist | Album | Link Start | Link
You can, of course, choose any you like.

Here, you can view all your linked tracks, grouped into their individual linked groups and filter as desired using panes selections.

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 01:52:09 am »

Apologies... I might have missed something here...

Six years and no answer?  I think this is an essential feature in order to use shuffle with classical albums.  Anything???

The bold bit... I'm not sure about... I have seen many posts reporting unexpected behaviour with random play, however, my own experience is as I would expect.

These days, the majority of my listening happens in the car, connecting my phone to MC using JRemote. The various playback options I have set are almost all of the "pick some genres, discard anything played in the last seven days, and shuffle". I never delve into the file lists in JRemote; too fiddly in the car. I just long press the title tile and hit "Play all"....

In all my time doing this, any time a file with links has appeared in the randomly shuffled list, the entire linked set plays as expected.

More thinking out loud...
Does it have to be the first linked file? The end goal is to have the full linked set in the list?

I'm also thinking, expansion is unnecessary, surely, because, if you made the list so that it contained just one linked file from each linked set, when you begin playback, MC would automatically expand to include the rest, because, they are linked. No?

Anyhoo, lets see...
A smartlist using the rule:
-[Link Start]=[] ~limit=-1,1,[Link Start]I would have expected this to return 1 file from each linked set, which could then be sent to playing now and thus, auto-expanded, but that is not what I'm seeing...

Here, I see MC is automatically expanding the linked sets and including them in the list, so, the question is, does this give you the list you require?

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up