INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Issues  (Read 2293 times)

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
Tagging Issues
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:34:54 am »

Hi,
I have supported JRiver since my original purchase V17 and have upgraded every time,I have a couple of issues that I have reported before and they have gone unnoticed/unanswered/and never improved upon,so I would like to ask please for some thing to be done in respect to this.

1: If I import a music compilation album into the Media Center library (the format is irrelevant) to the issue/ it will sometimes appear as the

individual artists/separate tracks.And yes I can correct this by changing the tagging(by removing info to make all to appear the same)

although I do not believe this is how it should be.

Just yesterday I imported a music album it was for a single artist/and 4 of the tracks had featured artist added to the main artist name  

this prevented the 4 tracks being compiled with the main album, and they were added as separate tracks.

Removing the featured artists names and refreshing the page/placed the 4 tracks with the main album entry( it is just annoying)

2: If I set a Tag (say for "Comment") so I can add a comment to a track or an album/and I add info in that space

when I go to read the info in the Comment box/the track info pop up appears and prevents me from reading my comments

can we PLEASE!!! have a right click to display album or track comments, without the track info pop up getting in the way

Thank you for a very special Media Centre/actually I think the very best available----Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:46:28 am »

1.  Check the album artist tag.  The wiki has information on it.

2.  You can disable tooltips in MC options.  There is a search window at the bottom of options.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »

1. see

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

The usual problem encountered is when (for example):

- The album is an album by artist "Joe Blow".

- Joe has a lot of collaborations, so many tracks are correctly identified as:

[Artist] :   "Joe Blow featuring John Doe"

- and using the rules in the link above, the album is sorted under "Multiple Artists" rather than "Joe Blow".

For some reason, in the online databases, very few of these albums have the [Album Artist] tag filled out, implying that one or more of the popular music players automatically figures that the [Album Artist] is "Joe Blow".

Since the last discussion of this issue, I've come up with other algorithms that could be used:

A) Almost all of these albums have one track where Joe works by himself, i.e. [Artist]: "Joe Blow", so the shortest [Artist] name in the file folder could be used as a template, and if all other [Artist] names start with the same characters as the entirety of the shortest one, then [Album Artist] is set to the shortest one ("Joe Blow").

B) Compare the first two tracks in the folder.  If the [Artist] fields match up to and including N characters, then use the first N characters as a template, and check if all the other [Artist] fields match the first N characters, and if so, then set [Album Artist] to the first N characters ("Joe Blow").

C) Define a list of delimiters, using some of the code used for Articles (a,the), and similarly allow it to be user modified ("Featuring","Feat","Feat.","With").  For the purposes of this process, remove the delimiter and all following characters (which makes "Joe Blow Featuring John Doe" into "Joe Blow").  THEN apply the same code that currently decides whether all the tracks have the same artist. (Since they now all have "Joe Blow", then [Album Artist (auto)] would become "Joe Blow" and the [Artist] fields would continue to have the helpful "Featuring" info.

The last choice uses almost entirely existing MC20 code, and may be the most fool proof, since B can occasionally yield an [Album Artist] of "Joe Blow Featuring" and A also does not work if Joe collaborates on every track.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »

1.  Manually set "Album Artist" to "Joe Blow".

Problem solved.

Carl.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:44:46 pm »

Carl - If you want to spend all your weekends for a couple of years doing that manually and saving it to the online databases, it would be appreciated by all.  ;)

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »

Carl - If you want to spend all your weekends for a couple of years doing that manually and saving it to the online databases, it would be appreciated by all.  ;)

So "all" your albums have different Artists for each track??

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:31 pm »

Thank you to all who replied,I will give the suggestions a try/looks like I am not the only one who has had this issue
              Cheers and Thank you

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:37:49 pm »

1.  Check the album artist tag.  The wiki has information on it.

2.  You can disable tooltips in MC options.  There is a search window at the bottom of options.

Thank you found that option/has eluded me for so long,now I can read my info/Cheers

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:51:37 pm »

1. see

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

The usual problem encountered is when (for example):

- The album is an album by artist "Joe Blow".

- Joe has a lot of collaborations, so many tracks are correctly identified as:

[Artist] :   "Joe Blow featuring John Doe"

- and using the rules in the link above, the album is sorted under "Multiple Artists" rather than "Joe Blow".

For some reason, in the online databases, very few of these albums have the [Album Artist] tag filled out, implying that one or more of the popular music players automatically figures that the [Album Artist] is "Joe Blow".

Since the last discussion of this issue, I've come up with other algorithms that could be used:

A) Almost all of these albums have one track where Joe works by himself, i.e. [Artist]: "Joe Blow", so the shortest [Artist] name in the file folder could be used as a template, and if all other [Artist] names start with the same characters as the entirety of the shortest one, then [Album Artist] is set to the shortest one ("Joe Blow").

B) Compare the first two tracks in the folder.  If the [Artist] fields match up to and including N characters, then use the first N characters as a template, and check if all the other [Artist] fields match the first N characters, and if so, then set [Album Artist] to the first N characters ("Joe Blow").

C) Define a list of delimiters, using some of the code used for Articles (a,the), and similarly allow it to be user modified ("Featuring","Feat","Feat.","With").  For the purposes of this process, remove the delimiter and all following characters (which makes "Joe Blow Featuring John Doe" into "Joe Blow").  THEN apply the same code that currently decides whether all the tracks have the same artist. (Since they now all have "Joe Blow", then [Album Artist (auto)] would become "Joe Blow" and the [Artist] fields would continue to have the helpful "Featuring" info.

The last choice uses almost entirely existing MC20 code, and may be the most fool proof, since B can occasionally yield an [Album Artist] of "Joe Blow Featuring" and A also does not work if Joe collaborates on every track.

Thank you for the link and explanation/ setting Album Artist to Auto worked perfectly / Cheers

weedub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:39:03 pm »

Thank you found that option/has eluded me for so long,now I can read my info/Cheers

Hi, Jim H
can I please ask you  another question /I can now read my comments,although they only stay on the screen for a short period of

time after I mouse over them.Is there anyway to pop them up and have them stay until I close them,because I like to have info like album

credits etc and the comments can be extensive and again hard to read when they keep disappearing /Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up