INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu Ray Very Jittering playback  (Read 1969 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Blu Ray Very Jittering playback
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:43 am »

What is the standard process/settings to ensure proper playback?

Thanks

Paul

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Blu Ray Very Jittering playback
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:46:04 am »

Make sure you're in Red October Standard.  That's really the only thing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:30 am »

Yep as Matt said, RO Standard will work with just about everything. Depends on your computer .. I run the Red October HQ with a couple of tweaks (not full MadVR but its nice enough for me) using an i5 quad core at 3.1 no overclocking without a dedicated graphics card.  This is ripped to disk though, maybe you are talking about running from your optical drive? Shouldn't make a difference, but never play things through the disk itself so I'm not sure.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:42 am »

I am playing from the disk using anydvd if that helps? Is the guidance above only if its a file?

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

Just guessing here but if you have to use anydvd other than for ripping, it means you are playing blurays that are not in your drive's zone?

Probably has something to do with the optical drive and AnyDVD and JRiver running at the same ... so do as Matt said and set it to Red Ocotber Standard first. If that doesn't work try makemkv without Anydvd (I believe its free for bluerays for a month) and see if that has something to do with it.

The HQ options require a reasonable processing power and pure MadVR setting you'll need more than that. As long as you don't have an XP setup with an old celeron or atom processor, it should be ok on Standard

If the file is on your hard drive nothing other than JRiver has to run. (unless its in ISO)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:53:13 am »

Hi Arindelle.

I have two computers, each with the same setup. Both Red Book standard. One runs fine, the other does not. That's the issue.

Anydvd is a standard to get around zone issues that's correct, but also encryption as a whole which annoying prevents playback a lot of the time as per this page

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:10 am »

I thought maybe you had a slightly underpowered machine and could try and see if AnyDVD is too processor intensive, thats why I mentioned streaming in makemkv which might be lighter weight and less demanding of the system. A file ripped to disc would definitely be less processor-intensive.  Regardless any processor without onboard Intel HD graphics (read pretty recent) or a discrete graphics card could have problems with Blu-Ray, I'd think.

So you are saying you have 2 computers (neither running XP) with the same amount of RAM, same processor, one works and the other doesn't.  hmm,  I have no idea why both should'nt work (or not work) on Red October Standard, sorry.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by red book standard for a computer? I thought that was for audio CDs?

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:54:33 am »

I mean to say red October not red book! :)

Both machines are windows 8 and Haswell, though the working one has a discrete card (passive 750 Geforce TI), and is an i7. The the jittery one uses the (good) on board intel graphics and i5. Both machines have 8gb of ram. Since switching to red October, the "non working" machine has improved dramatically but is still not flawless at all, and I had previously had it working well, so I don't think its a hardware issue.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »

Can you perhaps describe to us what you mean by jittery?
There are so many words that people use to describe flaws in video playback, e.g.:

Not smooth
Juddery
Stuttery
Studdery
etc.

How often does the flaw occur? Is it there all the time, or comes on every few seconds?
Do you have video clock enabled?
Are you bitstreaming audio?
Do you have automatic refresh rate enabled?
Do you have video hardware acceleration enabled?

Which, if any, of the above settings differ between the two computers?
What are the supported refresh rates of the displays you are connected to?

All of the above can make a difference, depending on what you mean exactly by 'jittery'.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »

Can you perhaps describe to us what you mean by jittery?
There are so many words that people use to describe flaws in video playback, e.g.:

Not smooth
Juddery
Stuttery
Studdery
etc.

How often does the flaw occur? Is it there all the time, or comes on every few seconds?
Do you have video clock enabled?
Are you bitstreaming audio?
Do you have automatic refresh rate enabled?
Do you have video hardware acceleration enabled?

Which, if any, of the above settings differ between the two computers?
What are the supported refresh rates of the displays you are connected to?

All of the above can make a difference, depending on what you mean exactly by 'jittery'.

OK. Settings on both machines are the same on jriver, but of course visual display units are different. In answer to your questions:

Can you perhaps describe to us what you mean by jittery? Audio is fine, but its like display cannot "keep up"

Not smooth
Juddery
Stuttery
Studdery
etc.

How often does the flaw occur? Is it there all the time, or comes on every few seconds? its not an on off problem, ie, it happens all the time but its hard to say whether it is working for one second and then not for another
Do you have video clock enabled? Disabled
Are you bitstreaming audio? Disabled
Do you have automatic refresh rate enabled? If you mean display rate automatic change then this is set to off.
Do you have video hardware acceleration enabled? Disabled

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »

Try enabling video clock as a first measure.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 10:35:17 am »

I mean to say red October not red book! :)

Both machines are windows 8 and Haswell, though the working one has a discrete card (passive 750 Geforce TI), and is an i7. The the jittery one uses the (good) on board intel graphics and i5. Both machines have 8gb of ram. Since switching to red October, the "non working" machine has improved dramatically but is still not flawless at all, and I had previously had it working well, so I don't think its a hardware issue.

If you're depending on the HD4600 for rendering, make sure you're not using hardware decoding. On a CPU as fast as yours, software decoding works better anyway and it puts less strain on the iGPU.

You could also change the drive settings in AnyDVD to "Fast and noisy" to make sure the BD drive is keeping up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up