INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What the heck did I do to my MJ player??  (Read 2835 times)

Stacy

What the heck did I do to my MJ player??
« on: February 02, 2002, 03:25:42 pm »

OK, I will try to explain this as plainly as possible.  I was using MJ 7.2 and everything was great.  I decided to buy it.  I saw, however, that there was a new 8.0 version. I purchased it and ever since I have had major problems like:

1. CDDB wasn't working but I was helped with that problem.
2. there was not enough free space on my C drive(when I tried to burn a disk (my brother said the space on my drive was fine).
3. When I go to Setting and options, the only encoder I have available is Uncompressed wave.  Bro tried to help me instal another encoder (Gogo, etc) and it failed. When I try to download 7.2 version, it says "only input, visualization and DSP plug-ins can be added"  "Failed to install package"
4. I also get this box:  "Invalid interface version, please upgrade "Windows Media plug-in" (which I have).
5. I ripped 5 songs from a CD and then hit burn.  MJ made the 5 songs I ripped into "45" songs, by repeating the songs over and over.

My brother has MJ 7.2 and has no idea how to help me with this situation.  He mentioned that the 8.0 version is beta and that I dod not want that.  Can I just get MJ 7.2 instead of 8.0 and go on with my life?  This is very frustrating!!

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:What the heck did I do to my MJ player??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 04:24:27 pm »

8.0 is beta, but now that you've got it, stick with it.  Take your problems, one at a time, and report some detail.  People here can help.

You might try reinstalling MJ.  You should also have a WMP encoder and a download of the MP3 encoder will work.  Gogo is not supported in 8.0.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Stacy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 04:35:00 pm »

Can I go back to 7.2?  I have tried to reinstall but I keep getting error codes like the above.  Thanks!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2002, 08:13:22 pm »

Have you tried uninstalling MJ first?

udo_1

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2002, 11:33:36 pm »

Congradulations,

so I'm not the only dummy out here. You didn't do anything wrong except installing the beta 8. To get rid out these error, try to install the 7.2 into a different dir and it should work. Uninstalling won't work ether. There are too many unsolved bugs in the beta 8. So let them do their homework first.

Udo

Stacy

RE:What the heck did I do to my MJ player?? (version 8.0)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2002, 06:44:00 am »

Thanks for the info Udo.  How can I install 7.2 into another drive when I only have a:, c: and dNext Pagerives?  I just tried to reinstall 7.2 onto my c drive and still got the messages "only input, visualization and DSP plug-ins can be added" "Failed to install package".  So what can I do now?  I would love to get rid of the 8.0, but it doesn't seem to work.

Udo_1

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2002, 07:31:21 am »

When you install the software, choose a different directory. Thats good enough.

The default is ...\JRiver\Media Jukebox. Change this to e.g. Jukebox7 or what soever. I'm not shure, but you must select the "custom or experts" menu during installation to do this.

In addition, you may try is to create this directory first and copy the entire /Data directory out of the beta 8 installation-directory here. I guess, you maintain your libary this way.

Good luck

Udo

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 01:32:41 am »

To uninstall V8 as completely as I know how:
1) Help> Backup License.  This is the most important thing of all!!  Put the .rrg file in at least two impregnable places.
2) Control Panel> Add remove programs > Media Jukebox 8.0 > Add/Remove
3) In Windows Explorer, go to the directory where MJ was, (usually //Program Files/JRiver) Delete the JRIver directory entirely.  Your MJ8 media library cannot be used by MJ7.
4) Start>Run> type "regedit" delete the following keys:
  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JRiver"
  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver"
  BE CAREFUL!  Don't make a mistake here!
5) Reboot
6) Install MJ 7.2

And now I just realised that this won't work because I don't think that your MJ8 License will make MJ7 operable.
In fact I'm near sure of it.  Sorry about that.

So....making the best of it....
Download the latest build of MJ8 beta and install it.
There have been a couple of wonky builds recently but even in beta, MJ8 seems to be fairly reliable on most systems and you may just have had a glitchy installation.
A nice fresh one may tidy things up. (i hope)

Boy I blew that!

Stacy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2002, 06:12:13 am »

Well, I reinstalled MP 7.2 and when I tried to rip a cd, I got this message:  "Invalid interface version.  Please upgrade Windows Media plug-in".  I hit OK and got this message: "Cannot create encoder control".  What is going on??!!  I want my $$ back if this cannot be fixed soon!!

Stacy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2002, 06:27:46 am »

P.S.- I have the most recent Windows Media player (mp71), si why do I get the message I need to upgrade?

Stacy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2002, 06:39:45 am »

Also, how can I download the most recent version of 8.0?  If this doesn't work, I want my money back!!!!!!

Udo_1

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2002, 10:33:39 am »

Hi,

let do things instraight order right now: during installation, did you notice any errors or warnings.
If no:  go to >Settings > Options >Encoding and select the encoder you prefer. If the plugin is missing, you get the choise do download      it.Your WinMP 7.1 has nothing to do with this.

If you got errors, uninstall MJ but leave the libary. Then make sure, there is nothing but a dir named "Data" in your installation diredtory. If you have used a differnt directory for installation, delete the orgrinal on (normaly J River). Then install version 7.2 with all defaults. If you still have missings plugins, follow the previous steps for "if no".

Udo

Stacy

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2002, 11:47:14 am »

Yes, I do get errors, that is what I have been trying to say.  First, I try to uninstall it and start over, but when I go to Add/remove programs under Control Panel, it is still there.  It will not delete.  So I try to reinstall 7.2 but get these messages "only input, visualization and DSP plug-ins can be added" "Failed to install package".  But even with these errors, MJ still comes up on my screen.

I try to rip a disk thinking maybe it's working and I get these messages: "Invalid interface version. Please upgrade Windows Media plug-in". I hit OK and get this message: "Cannot create encoder control".

What is my instalation directory?  I don't know where that is.  Also, I cannot install MJ in another directory.  I only have a, c, and d directories, and C is what I initially downloaded it into.

How do you install MJ with all defaults?  It never gives me that option.

I'll be honest with you, I have a newborn at home and this is the last thing I want to deal with.

Udo_1

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2002, 01:15:00 pm »

So, what can you do?
Well, I try to give you a step by step instruction:

1. Uninstall your current version (7.2) like this: >start >Programs > Media Jukbox 7.2 > Uninstall
  Answer all questions with yes. This should uninstall your present version. If it comes up with errors, ignore it and goto 2.

2. Clean up your disk: Open "My Computer", you will see something like (A:), (C:).. You should focus on C:.
  Open C: and it should give you some more icons. One of them should be name "Program Files". Open it.
  If everything went ok, you should see a many icons. One should be named "JRiver". Move the pointer onto this icon
  and use a right mouseclick to mark it. Now use your and key simultaniously. This should wipe it out. You'll be asked
  about this, so answer yes. Now you're ready to install your MJ.

3. Install version 7.2 as usual. Just leave everything like it is and accept all settings (these are the defaults!).
  It should install without errors.

Please note: you can't install MJ until all old files were gone! All of your errors were triggered, because the newer version was still there.

Udo

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2002, 01:21:34 pm »

>>I'll be honest with you, I have a newborn at home and this is the last thing I want to deal with.
if you think it is bad now wait untill they are 14|PLS|
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Stacy

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2002, 02:24:53 pm »

Yeah!!  That worked and I reinstalled MJ 7.2.  Here's the thing.  The program doesn't knwo that I have already paid (for the 8.0 version)  Do you know someone in billing that I culd contact?  

Also, I got really phyched and tried to burn a disk.  It is one of my husband's obscure Jazz CD's and the song is 56 minutes.  When I hit burn and copy, I got this message "Read track failed, not enough free disk space".  I looked on my hard drive and I still have 481mb, isn't that enough?  I'm trying to delete some Temp internet files to make more space.

Thanks!!

Udo_1

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2002, 02:36:04 pm »

with 481 mb you're living on edge. Realize, you'll need about 9 to 10 mb / min just for imagespace, not figured the temp space. So you should have at least 700 mb to burn an single track with 56 min, or even more. But the software will tell you.

I don't know anyone at JRiver. Maybe you check out their homepage etc. or post another threat.

Udo

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2002, 02:48:55 pm »

a version 8 rrg file will not work on version 7.

Stacy if you hang in there it will be fixed, what ever problems your having
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2002, 03:07:28 pm »

Not "threat", "thread".
When you burn a song from MP3, it creates a wav file that is about 10 MB for each minute. This file is deleted after the burn.
To get to "Options", Go to "Settings" in the bar at the top. A menu will drop down and you will see "options" at the bottom of that. Click it and you will get the "Option setting" window with lots of choices for lots of things. Click on each of the pictures at the left and you will get a different options menu.
One thing you need to do is read the manual. It will take a while but you will learn many new and wonderful things. To do that go to "help" then "contents" or you can just push the F1 button.
The version 8 license won't work for Version 7.2 and you can't get your money back but you MIGHT be able to get a downgrade to a Version 7 license.
I'm not sure who handles registration issues but you can E-mail Jim Hillegass
E-mail Address:
jimh@jriver.com
He's the head honcho
and will be glad to forward your e-mail to the correct personage.

Better yet, go to "help" (not F1) and select "system info" and click the "copy to clipboard" button. Either reply in this thread or make a new thread and CTRL-v will copy your system info into the message. It doesn't have any personal information. It just lets us know what Version you have and what computer resources you are trying to work with.

I use version 8 and have followed MJ since version 5.

CVIII

P.S. Congratulations on the new baby. I have three that range from 13 to 18, now. Best thing that ever happened to me.
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2002, 03:15:48 pm »

Charlemagne 8

I Don't see a Downgrade in the future

Since he already has a MJ8 rrg file, if Jim downgraded him and he kept the mj8 rrg file he coould access mybe MJ9, when a user should not.

thats why i think it is not in the future.

when a user buys a Beta registraion they should know it comes with some lumps.

It will be fixed, just give them time to work out the kinks.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2002, 04:09:47 pm »

King,
I doubt the "downgrade", too. I said some other stuff, though. What I meant was if she still wants to persue the "downgrade" path after the other considerations that was her only shot. A long shot but that was the only possible avenue.

Stacy,
There is also the "user guide" at the top of this page that you should read.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Stacy

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2002, 06:39:36 am »

Thanks for everyone's help!  I forgot that I had tons of digital photos over the years still on my hard drive and once I deleted a lot of them, I now have 767 mb.  We burned some disks last night and everything seems to be fine for now!!  I will e-mail Jim about switching to the 7 license.  Yep, babies are fun!!  He is 4 months old and growing like a weed!!

Thanks again,
Stacy
Pages: [1]   Go Up