INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to a Smart TV  (Read 1414 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Streaming to a Smart TV
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:01:04 pm »

I just bought my first smart tv and I would like to use MC with it.  In my current TV room I have an htpc connected to the tv that runs MC in Theater view with a remote and it works very well.  I'd like the same interface and experience on this new tv.  Is it possible to do that with just the built in wifi and smarthub of my new tv?(I admit I know almost nothing about it), or would I need a computer to run a copy of mc connected directly to the tv (like I have set up with my htpc).  If I need a computer are there any small tv boxes like this http://www.amazon.com/EzMediaXperience-MX3-Android-fully-loaded/dp/B00MCC2TZS/ that will run MC?  All of these mini computers seem to run android, so I assume I could only use them with Gizmo, which is not really the same feel as Theater view.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming to a Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:40:14 am »

Unless the computer is connected to the TV, the interface will be that of the TV.

A connected computer is called an "HTPC" (Home Theater PC).

A small computer running Android won't do what I think you want (MC's interface on the TV).

At this time, you would need a small PC running Windows 7 or 8. 

For this purpose, I like the Intel NUC.  There are several models.  You could probably use an i3 based NUC.

Eventually, this will be possible with the JRiver Id, our version of the NUC.  It is audio only now, and about to be video, too.  But it doesn't yet run Theater View.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Re: Streaming to a Smart TV
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »

Thanks Jim, that's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm before spending money on an new htpc.  BTW is there any plan to update the webgizmo interface to something a little more like theater view?
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23
Pages: [1]   Go Up