INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help. Major crash of MC 20. Cannot restore  (Read 1426 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Need Help. Major crash of MC 20. Cannot restore
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:23:40 pm »

I am in need of help. I have no clue what is going on.

MC 20 has been performing virtually flawlessly until today. I had experienced a couple of crashes previously.  The message would pop up that Media Center had quit unexpectedly. I would reopen it and everything would be fine.  Today while playing from MC20 the screen suddenly went blank and everything stopped. No error message popped up. I tried to reopen MC20 several times. Each time the toolbar at the top would show Media Center 20 with a completely black screen below for a couple of seconds and then it just disappears. I decided to try and reinstall MC20. After the reinstall the same thing occurred. I then opened MC19 and everything there appeared fine and I was able to play music. I tried opening iTunes and Audivrana 2.0. Both opened and operated normally.

I also restarted and shut down and turned back on my Mac Mini

I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is and what I should do. Any help,or advice is greatly appreciated.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Need Help. Major crash of MC 20. Cannot restore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:57:50 pm »

I have recovered MC20 from a suggestion on another forum. It had something to do with the MC20 plist file located in Library>Preferences. Once I got MC20 to open everything below the toolbar was visible but "frozen". I couldn't make any selections. I was able to select Libray>Restore Library and restored from the latest backup with was from the 26th.

I don't know what the heck happened but at least I seem to be back in business.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:56:37 pm »

I suggest that you test both your PC memory and hard disks. It could be that you have either one failing.

It sounds like you are running MC on a Mac Mini, so I can't really suggest the best tools. On Windows I would use Memtest86 and HD Sentinel.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:14 am »

I suggest that you test both your PC memory and hard disks. It could be that you have either one failing.

It sounds like you are running MC on a Mac Mini, so I can't really suggest the best tools. On Windows I would use Memtest86 and HD Sentinel.

But wouldn't a failure of that nature be more universal in scope and not specific to just one software?  I did use Disk Utility to Verify and Repair Disk permissions.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:39:55 am »

The issue you described certainly sounds like one of the following:

* Disk write failure
* Memory corruption
* Kernel panic or loss of power while disk write was in-flight.

All suggest hardware problems, unless the power just failed at the wrong moment (or maybe you were trying something crazy with an external hardware device and it kernel panic-ed).

+1

I can suggest tools:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks

For memory, here's a guide:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Testing_RAM

The AHT or Apple Diagnostics (depending on your model) is a good place to start, for sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up