INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Zone Help Needed  (Read 1948 times)

BigUFGator

• Recent member
Newbie Zone Help Needed
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »

I downloaded the trial and am finally ready to integrate music into a home automation system I'm working on.  I have some questions about zones (a lot of other questions but I'll try to split them out). I did read the wiki and forums and there is a LOT to digest.

I have my server with various USB audio cards attached to speakers in various rooms throughout the house. I have a touchscreen PC in the living room that will be controlling the server with WebGizmo (where I have more questions). For simplicity sake, I just installed 2 USB cards so I have one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I created a zone for each one individually and it works! :)

Now the question is how do I create a "zone" or play synchronized music both upstairs and downstairs at the same time?  And then what happens when I eventually have 6 different zones and want to play the same thing to all of them. I can't figure out the proper way to A) configure it B) make that happen from WebGizmo.

Thanks!

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie Zone Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »

From the Wiki: "To link two zones, just drag one onto the other. If anything is playing in either zone, both should begin to play it in a few seconds. Anything you choose to play in either zone will now play in both. More than two zones can be linked. You can adjust the timing of the zones so that they are synchronized by right clicking on one." This is done on the PC.

I do not think you can link the zones from Web Gizmo, but once they are linked you can use it to control playback.

You may wish to install JRiver on your touchscreen and use Theater View to control playback.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

BigUFGator

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »

From the Wiki: "To link two zones, just drag one onto the other. If anything is playing in either zone, both should begin to play it in a few seconds. Anything you choose to play in either zone will now play in both. More than two zones can be linked. You can adjust the timing of the zones so that they are synchronized by right clicking on one." This is done on the PC.

I do not think you can link the zones from Web Gizmo, but once they are linked you can use it to control playback.

You may wish to install JRiver on your touchscreen and use Theater View to control playback.

Ken

That's where I was confused - that I couldn't see what to do in WebGizmo. Are you saying there is no way to link the zones by not being directly on the server?

Also, if I install it on another PC to run in Theater View do I have to purchase another license to do that?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:10 pm »

No, you only need 1 license for all YOUR devices.

Sorry, I do not know of a way to do it in Web Gizmo. You could do it from your touch screen since your Zones will show up there.

Ken

BigUFGator

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

OK I tried running the Theater View and it seemed kind of klunky, perhaps I need a different skin or just need more time to familiarize myself with it. Obviously a TON of work has gone into this software so I'm sure it must do what I want, just how to figure out an easy way to do it.

For example when I get up to 6 or 7 zones, there isn't a button or easy interface that just says "Play to all zones" ? And while I was in Theater View trying to adjust the volume, (which again I must be missing why that was so complicated), it was only adjusting the volume on one particular zone. How does Theater View/WebGizmo or anything let you have control across ALL zone simultaneously?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:55:44 pm »

If you play a song to linked zones it plays in all the Zones that are linked. Having said that I only have experience with 2 link Zones.

In "Tools - Options - Appearance" There is a pull down for the Skin. There is an Obsidian Touchscreen that was made for... Touchscreens. I have not used it.

I can not answer the Volume question, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Ken 

BigUFGator

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 10:22:03 pm »

I did go through all the various skins and the options. Perhaps either something is broken or I don't know how to use it. In Playing Now, when I click on the button that shows the volume %, nothing happens. I have no way to adjust it or if it is supposed to do something by clicking on it, it doesn't. Same with the progress slider. I would assume you should be able to slide it to rewind or fast forward, but clicking on it just stops the song. The only way I could get the volume to adjust was under the More option then Volume Up or Down.

I may need to just break those questions out and start a new thread on how the interface is supposed to work, but frankly I'm still baffled by controlling the zones in theater view.  :(

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:57:55 pm »

I would explore controlling 1 device first, then move on to linking zones. Explore the audio options here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes.

There is also a link to the different volume modes in the article.

Pages: [1]   Go Up