INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nomad II plug in problems  (Read 2124 times)

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
Nomad II plug in problems
« on: February 02, 2002, 08:49:57 am »

I downloaded the fixed plug-in for Nomad II support. MJ still will not recognize that my player is plugged in and ready; it gives me the error message "Player not found. Please check that player is switched on and ready". I can download to player using WindowsMedia, and the Nomad propietary software, so connectivity isnt the issue. I am using MJ vers. 7.2.280. Any suggestions??

Severian

RE:Nomad II plug in problems
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 09:16:00 am »

I concur, although my problems are different. I have no problem uploading to the player, but I cannot delete from within MJ; I get "DELETE FAILED" every time. Plug-in manager says the version is 2.0.18.
I'm on MJ 7.2, and I have the latest greatest firmware and Playcenter 2.52 from Creative/Nomadworld. This is a Nomad IIc, 64onboard with a 128 external card, although identical problems occur with other cards. Whether the files exist on the Nomad's internal or external store seems to make no difference. I'm running XP pro; don't know if the machine hardware is relevant so I won't include it at this time.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 08:10:51 pm »

Whenever I had problems with the Nomad II in MJ 7.2 I would uninstall the plugin and the Nomad II from Device Manager, then install these Nomad drivers, and this version of the Nomad Manager. And then redownload the MJ plugin. It always worked for me. No guarantees, though.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2002, 03:58:22 am »

Thanks for the info. I tried those changes, didnt work. I will play with things a bit and see what happens.

Severian

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2002, 06:41:49 am »

Yep, me too. In fact things seem to be worse; I can crash on upload now, instead of it just barfing on a delete attempt. Too bad, Doof! You would have scored major anonymous respect if that had worked!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2002, 07:21:17 am »

Ah, well. Can't win all the time. Next Page

Severian

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2002, 01:37:57 pm »

I do thank you for the Nomad Manager, though. That thing smokes that PlayCenter POS they're bundling now (AD BANNERS in my drivers? Give me a friggin' break!) What a piece of crap that is. I confess that Creative's kind of pissing me off with performance like this. Getting the latest drivers and software from them is an effort worthy of Rube Goldberg.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 05:54:04 am »

For anyone having trouble with Nomad, if it is possible to go to version 8 of MJ and use the version 8 Plug-in, that would be my recommendation. Creative provides a stand alone driver update (available from their site) which is easier to deal with than older drivers. Older drivers were not all compatible with each other which would explain why you might see different odd behaviors.  If you get the stand alone drivers and run version 8, at least any problems can be tracked to either our Plug-in or the current SDK from Creative which they are accountable for.

Severian

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2002, 05:59:03 am »

Thanks, Steve, I'll try that when I get home. I was going to report some other weird behavior I've been seeing out of it, but I'll wait and see if I can get 8 stable again and let you know what happens.

Severian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2002, 03:42:56 pm »

OK, reporting as promised: Severe problems. I installed .196 right before you announced .197, installing it over 7.2 without reinstalling, trying to avoid the 'can't create playback control'. That much I succeeded in doing.

I can now delete files, no problem. I cannot upload files, period. MJ will immediately go catatonic in a lockup or, as an added bonus, will just crash outright. One can see during the lockup or pre-crash that the .AVI showing the flying-folder animation is getting clipped because of mismatched size on the dialog box(whatever--don't need my folders flying, I need my files transferring).

MJ 8 just isn't stable enough to use at this point. You definitely have some steps forward going on in there, and I really like the file queue for review before pushing the button to upload to the Nomad (see the '2-windows' thread for more fighting about issues of this nature).

Windows Media handles the Nomad transfers and deletions without a problem, so it would certainly appear to be MJ. Windows Media has other problems, such as just sucking as an interface and overall program. I wish I could use MJ for the purpose.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2002, 05:54:18 pm »

sorry to hear that, Severian. I downloaded 8.0 and the updated drivers, and it works like a champ for me. Uploads, erasures, everything is fine.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2002, 06:08:53 pm »

Severian> Did you download the version 8 Nomad II plugin? Or are you still on the 7.2 version?

(just asking because you didn't specify)

Severian

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2002, 06:59:11 pm »

Steve had written a couple posts back that 8 and the 8 plug-in plus the standalone Creative drivers would be the best bet, so that was what was tried. Yeah, it's disappointing. Gonna keep the faith for a while longer though.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2002, 03:16:20 am »

yes i downloaded the 8.0 plug-in along with the new drivers. works fine. However, when I downloaded 8.0, I uninstalled 7.2 first. Mabye thats a factor.

Steve

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2002, 04:16:39 am »

Severian,

Would you mind emailing me at steve@jriver.com.  With your permission, I would like to send you a test application that will perhaps shed some light on what the problem is.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up