INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Analyze Audio" Changes to File?  (Read 6022 times)

ddjj

• Recent member
"Analyze Audio" Changes to File?
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:32 pm »

Can someone point me to a discussion regarding whether anything done through "Analyze Audio" makes any changes to FLAC files other than the ID Tag?  I want to make sure my music files are not changed in any manner. 

Thanks!

Dan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "Analyze Audio" Changes to File?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »

You're safe.  It's a tag change only.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »

So If it is only the tag that holds the Analyze Audio data, then if and when I transfer music files to my mobile player - it happens to be a minidisc - then the Analyze Audio levelling data tag is left behind and not taken onto the mobile player. Which means that the mobile player will not benefit from the levelling function. Not sure?
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »

The mobile player would only benefit if you converted the files before upload (using volume leveling).  Sending them as is they won't play leveled.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:31:32 am »

Sorry you are using a different phrase now.
Am I to understand "using volume leveling" is different to Analyze Audio?
thanks,

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:49:05 am »

The analyze audio function just performs analysis on the files and writes the results into the tags.  It does nothing else.

JRiver's Volume Levelling DSP uses the information in the tags that analyze audio writes to create an even volume across albums or tracks.

If you move the files to your portable device without doing more, the tag information from the analysis will be there, but unless your device has software that uses the analyzed information, nothing will happen.

That's why MC allows you to apply DSP during file conversion or syncing to a device; it allows you to "bake into the files" things like volume leveling so they will work on devices that do not offer those features natively.

But "audio analysis" itself just writes information to the tags.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »

mwillems, thank you for your clear and helpful reply.

Yogi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:38:01 pm »

I've just been looking for some information on the "analyze audio" feature but so far I haven't found much. Having read through this thread I have a few more questions please ....

Does analyze audio do anything else (in addition to the above explanation) or does it just write volume levelling information to the file tags?

Is this volume levelling information only stored in MC library file tags (eg C:\Users\\\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20) or is it also written to the source disk files? (eg My Music\\files)

I can see some track tags via the MC application (eg peak levels) that might be from audio analysis but could someone confirm the actual tags that are updated?

Thanks

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »

Does analyze audio do anything else (in addition to the above explanation) or does it just write volume levelling information to the file tags?
euh  ?
Quote from: Mwillems
The analyze audio function just performs analysis on the files and writes the results into the tags.  It does nothing else.
you are right not to trust him.  ;D

Is this volume levelling information only stored in MC library file tags (eg C:\Users\\\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20) or is it also written to the source disk files? (eg My Music\\files)

I can see some track tags via the MC application (eg peak levels) that might be from audio analysis but could someone confirm the actual tags that are updated?

when you open audio analysis the fields names are listed at the top of the window (I'm lazy :p )

by default, the tags are written to the audio files; you can disable this under manage library fields in options

Yogi

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 05:20:52 am »

euh  ?

Mwillems said it "performs analysis on the files and writes the results into the tags. It does nothing else."

But I thought "analysis" could include many functions, not just volume levelling. That's why I asked the question    ;)

when you open audio analysis the fields names are listed at the top of the window (I'm lazy :p )

Found it, thanks  
Pages: [1]   Go Up