INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI audio/video input from any unencrypted source  (Read 64315 times)

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HDMI audio/video input from any unencrypted source
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 01:11:49 pm »

That is correct if your Verizon sends out unencrypted HDMI. If it doesn't, then it may still work with the HDMI splitter previously mentioned. Yes, you can use your existing Verion remote control. If you setup the Colossus as an input only, it will just show what is playing from the DVR.

Thanks mojave!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 05:10:24 pm »

Please give these DLLs a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmx24miyoqaa14d/TVDLLs.zip?dl=0

Download, unzip, and copy JRTelevision.dll into MC installation folder, and copy the other file into its "TV" subfolder.

Both non-time-shifting and time-shifting works on my computer.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 08:23:23 am »

It has been working pretty well for me, except one problem I had this morning.  I left the computer running overnight (MC running too).  This morning, I found that the Blackmagic device not working inside MC any more (black screen and non-responsive).  It was still working in Media Express.  I had to go to Device Manager to disable the Blackmagic WDM Capture device and reboot, and then re-enable it in Device Manager again.  It has been working after that.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 09:02:17 am »

I tried last night but had two problems:
1.  I don't have an unencrypted HDMI source. HDFury is supposed to send me a working HDMI input card any day.
2.  The Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K only works in the motherboard I'm using if the PCIe slots are set to Gen3. However, when set to Gen3, my video card doesn't work (GTX 960) and I have to take it out completely to get back into the bios using onboard video. I thought my processor, i7-3770K, supported Gen3, but perhaps I need a bios update.

I won't be able to get back to this until after the weekend. I leave early tomorrow for the Central Iowa Home Theater Crawl.

I did take a picture of a bunch of HDMI inputs/outputs. From left to right:
HDFury PCI-MATRIX 44UHD (4 HDMI inputs that can be routed to 4 HDMI outputs - supports 4K in/out) - Not a capture card
Blackmagic Designs Decklink Mini Recorder (supports input up to 1080p30 or 1080i60)
MSI GTX 960 (supports HDMI 2.0, 4K)
Blackmagic Designs Intensity Pro 4K (support 4K input)

Hilton

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:33 am »

I tried last night but had two problems:
1.  I don't have an unencrypted HDMI source. HDFury is supposed to send me a working HDMI input card any day.
2.  The Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K only works in the motherboard I'm using if the PCIe slots are set to Gen3. However, when set to Gen3, my video card doesn't work (GTX 960) and I have to take it out completely to get back into the bios using onboard video. I thought my processor, i7-3770K, supported Gen3, but perhaps I need a bios update.

I won't be able to get back to this until after the weekend. I leave early tomorrow for the Central Iowa Home Theater Crawl.

I did take a picture of a bunch of HDMI inputs/outputs. From left to right:
HDFury PCI-MATRIX 44UHD (4 HDMI inputs that can be routed to 4 HDMI outputs - supports 4K in/out) - Not a capture card
Blackmagic Designs Decklink Mini Recorder (supports input up to 1080p30 or 1080i60)
MSI GTX 960 (supports HDMI 2.0, 4K)
Blackmagic Designs Intensity Pro 4K (support 4K input)

Nice! That's more HDMI inputs than my receiver! (3)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 09:37:34 am »

I don't have an unencrypted HDMI source. HDFury is supposed to send me a working HDMI input card any day.
does that hdfury card strip HDCP as well?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:57 am »

does that hdfury card strip HDCP as well?
The fixed ones will. They just shipped the first ones out last week, but they had a problem. The e-mail I received said, "The initial boards had a programming issue. They cannot handle the 4 letters as they should." You can guess what the 4 letters stand for.  ;D I was told replacements would go out later this week, but haven't received a shipping notice yet.

Once I receive one, I should be able to route four HDMI inputs into the Blackmagic capture card and stream through JRiver. The HDMI inputs will need to be switched using a command line utility, but I'll figure that out as I go. I still don't know if the capture card will pass through to JRiver DD or DD+. I know that the Blackmagic cards are used for X-Box or PS3's and I think this is with DD.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:55 am »

so just to be clear, the complete chain would be as follows?

source -- HDMI out -- hdfury in -- hdfury out -- blackmagic in -- jriver -- gpu out -- display

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 10:44:31 am »

so just to be clear, the complete chain would be as follows?

source -- HDMI out -- hdfury in -- hdfury out -- blackmagic in -- jriver -- gpu out -- display
Yes. I marked on the picture how it would work. I don't think the HDFury will add any latency. Blackmagic said, "once the input port has the video frame on the Intensity Pro 4K it should be no more than 1-2 frames latency into the system architecture and back to output if you are using our Blackmagic Design SDK for your development" so it won't add much latency either. JRiver will add a little.

You could also route the HDMI out from the video card back into the HDFury for use with 3 more displays. It looks like one could output to the following number of displays:
HDMI from video card to HDFury - 3
Displayport output from video card - 12 (Each output can be daisy chained to four 1080p displays)
DVI output from video card - 1
HDMI output from motherboard - 1
DVI output from motherboard -1

At any rate, I think the HTPC could become a powerful video switcher sending video to all displays in the house.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »

Very nice.

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 03:12:59 pm »

Agreed.  This is awesome.

I will test with my Blackmagic card this weekend.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 04:32:42 pm »

The HDMI inputs will need to be switched using a command line utility, but I'll figure that out as I go.
what are the options for this? for example, say you had different sources that you want to apply different DSP to (e.g. a minimal low latency setup vs a full fat setup) then this would normally require a zone switch to be triggered. It seems like you'd need to be able to trigger the following chain of events

- change jriver zone to foo (is the blackmagic config wrapped up in here? I don't use jriver for tv so no idea how that works)
- set hdfury input to x
- (optional) set hdfury output to y

it seems like it hangs off the zoneswitch command but there is obvious way to register a callback (based on http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Automation) that will receive that event (and polling would be a bit lame) nor a way to fire an action when a zone switch occurs

What are the possibilities here? Context is it would be nice to achieve all this within jriver rather than having to wire up eventghost or whatever

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »

So with this I can add the HDMI output of my bluray/SACD/DSD player to my HTPC ?
That would be amazing!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 05:08:46 pm »

Great work - I'm keen to find out how reliable this is (eg my PVR hangs all the time).  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 05:21:44 pm »

Great work - I'm keen to find out how reliable this is (eg my PVR hangs all the time).  ;D

So is my HDPVR2.  It goes out of service unexpectedly.  I have to unplug its power and then plug it back in to bring it back.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »

So is my HDPVR2.  It goes out of service unexpectedly.  I have to unplug its power and then plug it back in to bring it back.

Yup mine is back in the draw not being used.  Like others, I was after a soln to pipe PayTV into JR for recording and distribution as with any other source. 
JRiver CEO Elect

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »

Please give these DLLs a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmx24miyoqaa14d/TVDLLs.zip?dl=0

Download, unzip, and copy JRTelevision.dll into MC installation folder, and copy the other file into its "TV" subfolder.

Both non-time-shifting and time-shifting works on my computer.

I'm not having any luck with the Blackmagic card in JRiver.   I'm using JRiver .87 release with the two files from dropbox.

JRiver finds the card and configures it as a camera.  When I tune the camera channel all I get is "Starting TV..." and a black screen.

Using the Blackmagic software I get video and audio.

Any ideas?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2015, 05:27:51 pm »

Did you configure it in the Blackmagic Control panel?  And the output format using Media Express?

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2015, 05:37:33 pm »

Did you configure it in the Blackmagic Control panel?  And the output format using Media Express?

Yes.   It works correctly with the Blackmagic software.

I am using a Chromecast thats outputs 1080p59.94 and that is what I have configured in the control panel.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2015, 05:41:44 pm »

Let's wait a few days until a new build comes out.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:39 pm »

I noticed it was listed in the release notes as supported so anyone out there got this working in the field yet?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »

20.0.93 is out.  Please download and try.

While my device was still sort of working, it worked in MC for me.  Now my Blackmagic device is RMA'ed.  I will have to wait for it to come back before I can try again.

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2015, 09:56:45 am »

Same experience with .93.     Black screen only.    JRiver says Starting TV but then nothing.

If I use the WDM capture device JRiver shows that the stream is playing, but still just a black screen.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2015, 10:44:54 am »

Same experience with .93.     Black screen only.    JRiver says Starting TV but then nothing.

If I use the WDM capture device JRiver shows that the stream is playing, but still just a black screen.

Blackmagic WDM Capture device is what you should use.  Do not use "Decklink Video Capture".

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:17 pm »

Blackmagic WDM Capture device is what you should use.  Do not use "Decklink Video Capture".

Ok thank you.   I will play a bit more.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:12 pm »

I've been sick for a week with bronchitis and finally started feeling better today. Tonight I installed the Blackmagic Design Decklink Mini Recorder in my son's computer. It only has a 32-bit OS so I couldn't use the Intensity Pro 4K card. I used a laptop with HDMI to the HDMI splitter and then into the Blackmagic. I set the laptop output via HDMI to 1080p30.

I configured the Blackmagic as a capture only device, tuner type of camera, and selected Blackmagic WDM Capture. I clicked Scan to add the device.
I then went to Manage Devices (still under TV), selected Blackmagic WDM Capture, and clicked Configure. I double clicked Video Capture Filter and set the video capture format to HD 1080p30.

I played a YouTube video on the laptop and selected Blackmagic as the channel to "tune." It works! Picture and sound both work. With the displays side by side I can't notice any lag.

I tried to bitstream with Dolby Digital to the Blackmagic card, but didn't have any success when using JRiver for playback. There is a program called PtBi that also works specifically with the Blackmagic cards and supports DD and DTS decoding so it seems that bitstreaming should work. Otherwise why would it decode DD and DTS? I'll have to keep working on it. I think my next step is to order a Chromecast or Amazon Fire stick. Unless the card can passthru encoded audio, it really won't be much use unless the source provides 8 channels of PCM output.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2015, 05:26:21 am »

I've read a few reports saying it uses a rather noisy fan that is on all the time, is this right?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:43 am »

I've read a few reports saying it uses a rather noisy fan that is on all the time, is this right?
The Decklink Mini Recorder has no fan. The Intensity Pro 4K has a fan that is noisy.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2015, 08:55:55 am »

Is that fan easy changed, or do it need soldering for this?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 09:01:32 am »

It looks fairly easy to change. You can also unplug the fan, but the board gets very hot even when not in use. I hope they update the software to at least allow some fan control. The option is currently showing, but it is greyed out.

deanoUK

• Recent member
Good news and bad news.
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:27 am »

My Fury PCI-MX 430 Board is working nicely. No more infuriating 4 letter problems.
My Intensity Pro 4K Board is not fairing too well.
With my Gigabyte GAZ97X-UD3H motherboard it will/will not be recognised as a piece of hardware (after rebooting) depending on
which way the wind blows.
However, once it is recognised I can get video and sound with the black magic app and media player classic.
JRiver - black screen - no sound. tried adjusting all the parameters I can find.
No dice. :'(

dwalme

• Recent member
Re: Good news and bad news.
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2015, 10:54:03 am »

However, once it is recognised I can get video and sound with the black magic app and media player classic.
JRiver - black screen - no sound. tried adjusting all the parameters I can find.
No dice. :'(

Same here.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:10 pm »

Build 113 is out.  Please try it.

I made an ugly kludge.  It still will not display video when you start playing, but you can then show "Blackmagic WDM Capture" property pages (through right-click menu, DirectShow graph).  On the first page, check "Override Video mode", and choose correct one from the drop down list.  Click OK.  MC will rebuild the DirectShow graph, and should, hopefully will display video.

Unfortunately, you have to do this every time you start playing.  The property pages of Blackmagic do not remember the settings!  I have been talking to their tech support.  Hopefully we will find a solution soon.

deanoUK

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2015, 11:54:41 am »

Fantastic !
I now have Chromecast video in JRiver.
No sound yet.
Will work on the sound later.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2015, 12:10:26 pm »

Thanks for reporting the results.  Did you do anything other than what Yaobing suggested?

deanoUK

• Recent member
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2015, 03:54:48 pm »

I only set the "Blackmagic WDM Capture" property pages to video 1080p59.94.
Audio tab does not allow changes.

deanoUK

• Recent member
Progress with Black Magic Intensity Pro 4K card.
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:58 am »

Desktop Video 10.4.1 was released yesterday and appears to have stopped the
Black Magic Intensity Pro 4K card "disappearing" every other reboot.

I took a couple of reboots for the software to update the cards firmware so
make sure you see the update happen.

The no audio problem appears to be associated with certain ASIO drivers.
I have 2 physical sound cards
Lynx AES16e
MiniDSP USBStreamer
and a virtual sound card/convolver
Accurate Convolver

Lynx AES16e works with WASAPI and Direct Sound. Does not work with ASIO.
Accurate Convolver. ASIO only, does not work.
MiniDSP USBStreamer works with ASIO,WASAPI and Direct Sound.

I need convolution as I am running 4 way crossovers for the fronts and centre and room correction for the surrounds.

The best I achieved so far is using JRiver convolver->MiniDSP USBStreamer.
I have both video and convolved audio.
But ... It is not possible to correct the lipsync. Video delays of more than -300mS result in no audio.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2015, 09:07:06 am »

Hi Yaobing,

I'm having the same problem with my Decklink Mini Recorder: it won't save the settings.
It renders the card rather useless in JRiver, since I want to use it to stream my CVB-S settopbox.

I found that the problems indeed comes with the Blackmagic streaming driver, it has the same problem in OBS.
But you already knew that :-\

Any progress to be expected?
Any news from BMD which gave you any indications of a solution?

cheers

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2015, 09:51:19 am »

Sorry, there is no progress.  Their support told me to try the next release of their driver.  So far 10.4.1.0 displays the same behavior as before.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2015, 10:00:04 am »

I do not know about the Mini Recorder, but Intensity 4k Pro is not a good device to use for Set top box at this stage.  The output format issue aside, it does not compress video, so it will not work well with time-shifting (huge disk usage that could be a potential problem).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:10 am »

I do not know about the Mini Recorder, but Intensity 4k Pro is not a good device to use for Set top box at this stage.  The output format issue aside, it does not compress video, so it will not work well with time-shifting (huge disk usage that could be a potential problem).
I though jtv was being used for time-shifting.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2015, 10:06:51 am »

I though jtv was being used for time-shifting.

Time-shifting means dumping everything received to disk as is, then playback from the disk cache.  JTV is just a stub file that points to that disk cache.  Currently we are not adding any compression as there are no efficient software compressors that we can use for today's HD video.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2015, 11:29:16 am »

Yeah I know. I tried 10.4.1 but indeed same results.

Okay, we'll have to wait for a new release from BMD I suppose.

Just for the record: I tried 10.3.7, which gives a different Control Panel but no real possibilities to set preferences here.
Anything earlier than 10.3.7 keeps the card from working.

I came across a similar problem on the OSB forum and it was suggested to run everything in administrator mode (Desktop, Control Panel, OBS) and in the suggested order.
For some it fixed the problem.
Not for me, alas.

Unfortunately my Hauppauge Colossus gives massive delay bacause of the hardwre encoding and is not suitable either.
Not alot of fun when zapping channels has a 3 second delay.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:41 am »

I've noticed time-shifting to be a bit jerky with Decklink Mini Recorder, but I don't really need it so I turn it off.
Hauppauge Colossus was quite smooth with time-shifting.

I'm using these cards so I can watch TV/sattelite while using convolution.
It results in some serious delay and the cards/driver are finicky.

Should I instead just capture TV sound and run it through  Parametric EQ to mimick convolution?
Would that be possible with little delay?(to stay in sync with Video)

Then I wouldn't really need any capture card...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2015, 12:15:17 pm »

Audio is always played through JRiver audio renderer, which means you can use anything in DSP studio (but you have to experiment with them to see whether they will give you desired result). 

You can also try turning Video Clock on and off to see if there is any difference.

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2015, 02:58:50 pm »

Thanks Yaobing, I will play around with it.

I did some more testing and found that capture with my Decklink card works as far back as 10.2.2, however this version doesn't work with JRiver.
Also, the DecklinkAvStreamPlugIn32 changes after 10.2.2
It's the new version that doesn't save the settings and looks unchanged up to recent versions.

A solution would be to get the old PlugIn (which saves settings fine) working with JRiver.
Could you have a look and see if that is a possibility?

Or am I asking a lot?
Maybe some tips to get the old PlugIn working?

cheers

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2015, 03:08:43 pm »

Some more findings: I got 10.2.2 working after canceliing Time-shift ;D
So that's a version which keeps the settings.

However...
Any idea why I have these interlaced lines with quick pans?
And how to get rid of them  ::)

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2015, 03:42:04 pm »

Mmm only sound when time-shift is on.
But then video is choppy and interlaced lines all over.

Video is fine with TS off, but then there's no sound.

More work to be done.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2015, 03:00:22 pm »

I keep reading this thread in the hopes that someone has a workable system. It seems that each approach - Colossus, Black Magic, etc. have serious issues for this application.

I am looking for a way to to interface a Roku or similar streaming device that has HDMI audio and video to MC. Has anyone found a way to do this that is reliable.

Thanks very much.

Rod

Added on Edit:
Apparently I had misread some of the posts. It appears that perhaps the Colossus is working ok. It's only limitations seem to be it can't handle all audio formats.

So do I have it correctly that the Colossus should be a suitable HDMI interface to MC for use with a Roku/FireTV streamer?

Spanker

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2015, 04:18:02 pm »

Hi Rod,

the Colossus works allright but be sure to be okay with the delay it introduces.
This is because of the onboard decoding on the card.
On my HTPC it had a delay of around 1.5-2 sec.
Couldn't get it any faster.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up