INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needed a fan, ASRock... Rock.  (Read 11031 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Needed a fan, ASRock... Rock.
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:43:44 am »

So, my ASRock 3D Vision 137D after three years of faultless service, has started making a LOT of noise.

I know the only moving part in there is the CPU heatsink fan, so I popped the lid for a look inside... see attached.

There is surprisingly little fluff in there. I also popped the lid off the fan enclosure there and apart from a light dust coating on the inside face of the heatsink fins, it was spotless. The heatsink by the way, all of it, was too hot to touch, really. That can't be right either?

I need a new fan, or, if they're a closed unit, a new heatsink, but hopefully, just the fan, although looking at the fit, it looks as though the whole thing would need to come out anyway as I can't see a way to pass the power connector under the heatsink to the socket without removing the heatsink.

I've tried all manner of searches, and even tried a support request at the ASRock website, but they blew me off, not even accepting the submitted form.

This thing can't go in the bin for the want of a fan surely? Anyone got any ideas?

-marko

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Need a fan, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:35:46 am »

That is a decent coat of dust on those fan blades.

You need to pull the fan out and see what sort it is. It looks like it might be a radial fan. Certainly not a standard axial fan. You may be able to find a new replacement fan that fits. If someone like Noctua make a fan that will fit and has reasonable specs, get one of those.

Otherwise thourorghly clean the fan and the rest of the cards cooling components. Some fans can be recovered partially by getting some oil in to the bearings, depending on the type. But that usually means pulling the fan apart.

Three years for a fan that works hard is about normal life though. After that they get a bit noisy, and need to be replaced.

Also, it could be that the thermal paste or glue under the heat sink has failed and needs to be redone. Sometimes it just gets old and breaks down, resulting in hot spots and the fan working harder to dissipate the heat.

So if you are happy pulling things apart and fixing them, go for it. Otherwise it probably means a new card. I've never come across an after market supplier of custom fans to fix old electronics.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:12 am »

Thanks for the reply...

Found this from a couple of years ago...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/707284-Alternative-to-this-%C2%A350-fan (they seem to suggest that as it's a maglev, there's no bearings?)

Which lead me to this, on ebay, for £12... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-TouchSmart-IQ770-IQ772-Cooling-Fan-Assembly-Sunon-MagLev-GC125025VH-A-/130905916557?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e7a99c48d

I'm thinking I might take a punt on that, accepting I may have to write off the £12. I don't need the housing, just the fan, and I ought to be good to go... you think?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 01:52:43 am »

This is mega frustrating...

I've managed to remove my own fan, and it is indeed a Sunon GC125025VH-A

That one at the end of the eBay link, is I think, no good. It's the correct part number, but closer inspection shows that it has a four pin connecter, while mine only has three, and the sticker on that one states 12v ~ 1.8W while mine has 12v ~ 2.0W

I've managed to find a 2.0w model from a chinese vendor and have taken a punt on that at £14.72, even though they quote a 39 day delivery time!

ASRock in the meantime, are still insisting I turn to my vendor for assistance. I honestly don't see Amazon being much help here!

-marko

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:43:37 am »

When I have looked at Maglev style fans, the magnets just handled the axial thrust the fan produces. They still have bearings for the rotation, and in fact most often the magnets are in an oil bath that also lubricates the bearing.

As you have found the correct part, give it a go. Not good if the machine can't be used for 39 days or so though. But perhaps a clean and oil of the existing one will allow it to quieten a bit and last until the new ones arrives.

I hope it all goes well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:51 am »

Magnets inside computers seem like a bad idea.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:47 am »

They are very small magnets Jim, and inside the fans, on the end of the shaft.

The electric motor of the fan would produce a larger electromagnetic field than these magnets.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:57:27 pm »

Well well...
I submitted two request forms on the asrock website, where they inform you that if you do not receive an automated response, the submission has been unsuccessful, and so they strongly advise to turn to your vendor for support. I did not receive an automated reply, and while not overly surprised, was also a little disappointed with them.

Imagine my surprise then, to receive an email from the Netherlands advising me that my request had been passed to their rma dept for consideration, followed a day later by the response below:

Sent: 29 September 2014 08:25
To: []
Subject: RE: $ASRock 3D Vision 137D$ CPU Fan replacement? (United Kingdom)

Dear Mister Wilkinson,

please let us know your address and we will send you free of charge by UPS a replacement 13G070196000AK / Sunon 5025 Dishfan for your Vision 3D. You should be able to replace this by yourself.

Best regards,

Roy Hurkens

RMA/Service & Logistics Department

Bijsterhuizen 1111
6546 AR  Nijmegen
The Netherlands
T: +31-243434154
F: +31-243454418
Email: rma at asrock.nl

Quickly followed by two automated responses from asrock.tw!
So, a bit of the old 'rolleyes' with regards to their processes, but massive thumbs up to their european support dept in Holland. It's the sort of small thing that would have me return and recommend them to others considering spending. Even with UPS standard, they should still beat the chinese guys for delivery time.

How good is that :D

-marko

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:32 pm »

A free replacement fan after three years is a very good result. Perhaps they have had trouble with the fan and decided to do automatic replacements as a goodwill gesture.

Not only that, but you will have a spare when the Chinese fan arrives. You might get nine years out of the 137D!   :)

Of course, it might be time to upgrade by the time the second fan dies.  ;D

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Needed a fan, ASRock... Rock.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:59:27 am »

Replacement arrived this afternoon. The chinese vendor has not shipped yet.

Blown away by ASRock support. I'm both relieved and happy.

Nice when a company goes that little bit extra. I ask if they are able to sell me a fan as I can't find one anywhere, and they send me one FOC. Can you put a price on 'feel good' factor?

-marko

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Needed a fan, ASRock... Rock.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »

Can you put a price on 'feel good' factor?

No you can't. I have had that sort of service a few times, and I always recommend the company to people afterward, and tell lots of people.

A recent one was a memory upgrade for an iMac. One piece of memory failed after a couple weeks. I tested it thoroughly before asking for an RMA, expecting some validation process at least. Nup. They just said "We will send you a new one today, with a prepaid label to return the old one. You will receive it tomorrow (I did.) Oh, and sorry for the trouble." I was very pleased. Australian company www.upgradeable.com.au.

The I bought four USB 3.0 SDXC card readers Anker in the USA. Three were the latest model, which is what I was expecting. One was a slightly earlier version, marked differently, still worked fine, but was not as fast as the later models. I connected them as I wasn't happy. Explained it would cost me lots more to ship it back than it cost, which was about $9 I think. Asked "What can you do for me?" Answered "We will credit the price of one unit back to you today sir, and you can keep the reader." I was hoping for a replacement without return of the old one, but a credit was still unexpectedly good.

I've had other companies just send me a new unit, no questions asked, once I provide evidence of a problem. A Clock Radio comes to mind, replaced twice, free. I still have two, although one doesn't keep time well.

Some dispute it, or want something in return for good service, like buying more of their products ( http://www.chinabuye.com/ for example ), but sometimes you deal with a company that understands that it is a lot cheaper just to replace/repair/refund the product than argue the issues, and they get a great customer advocate out of it. I like those companies and people, and usually give them more business if I can.

Coincidentally, my HTPC has an ASRock motherboard. Good to know they are one of the better companies, baring the hiccup in the process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up